View Poll Results: Can humans be objective?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, of course they can

14 35.00%
  • No way, people are way too prejudiced

21 52.50%
  • Don't know and don't care

1 2.50%
  • What was the question again?...

4 10.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can humans be objective?

Maximum Phisherman. LOL

I guess that's the best that I expected from you... That was excellent defense of your stance on this issue. Congratulations, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    Maximum Phisherman. LOL

There are facts about the world that any rational person recognizes as objective principles, from which we can easily formulate more complex ideologies that are, at least fundamentally, objective. The most basic one would be that we exist. There's no point in thinking anything if we don't exist. Next most basic would be that we rely on a necessarily healthy environment. We need good soils, weather, resources, ext. another would be that happiness and moral are not the same thing. The concept of the non existence of objectivity is a misinterpretation of what science means. All the hedonists look at science and say it erodes morality, but they forget that science itself is objective, though not certain. Certainty is an illusion and certainty isn't objectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by dramasnot6 View Post
    Besides, what is "objective" is in itself subjective to the individual interpreting the meaning of objectivity.
    "the only thing i know is that i know nothing." if you realize your mind is just an instrument for observation and speculation, and that you will never see the complete picture (just think about all the wavelengths we do not see, all the senses we know exist but do not have), then it's clear that objectivity and subjectivity both have their place but are just 2 sides of the same coin.
    “the sense of being which in calm hours arises, we know not how, in the soul, is not diverse from things, from space, from light, from time, from man, but one with them and proceeds obviously from the same source.... Here is the fountain of action and of thought....

Quote Originally Posted by hypatia_ View Post
    "(just think about all the wavelengths we do not see, all the senses we know exist but do not have), then it's clear that objectivity and subjectivity both have their place but are just 2 sides of the same coin.
    not necessarily true, we know that those wavelengths are there, its just the way the light is reflected, we can see all the wavelengths that are VISIBLE, based on how the light is reflected

i'm a chem major and understand what wavelengths we can and cannot see. the fact that we know other wavelengths are there does not mean we can perceive them, unfortunately.
    “the sense of being which in calm hours arises, we know not how, in the soul, is not diverse from things, from space, from light, from time, from man, but one with them and proceeds obviously from the same source.... Here is the fountain of action and of thought....

Registered User KillCarneyKlans's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was going through my old threads here and came across this, so I decided to stop, and chime in ... I would think it would have to be YES! How could most of the world which is subjective (self-centered) not eventually come to the conclusion that in order to evolve you must be objective ... With more of an eastern philosophical bend on things, (western seems so linear, non-cyclic) seeing the world spinning into chaos, and with humanity facing some of it's worst possibilities like AI, WWIII, declining populations, resources, the 4 horsemen, Armageddon, etc ... How could they, it's inevitable! Our governments, industry, technology and militaries will destroy itself and maybe us with it. Not to mention the next cycle of culling humanity.

The Next Age of the Earth
    https://youtu.be/R8DHU0NT7Is?si=F23mBVHPHmIsDh7T
    The Coming Catastrophe
    https://youtu.be/j635Cv2aOlA?si=XLD

Everyone tells us they are going to do this or that, we ain't in charge, and the people in charge ain't either, there's no way they can stop or not be the apart of the universe. There's no chance for subjective.
    Last edited by KillCarneyKlans; 12-01-2023 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Typos

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234