Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddest/Most Depressing Novel You've Ever Read

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque is one of the saddest books I have read.

Lord of the Flies is one of the most depressing (and I love it because of it!)
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Interesting. Read this one only two weeks ago and thought it was one of the worst books I had ever read. It was full of cliches, banking highly on readers' feelings of sympathy and the characters were lacking depth. It was a very, very, very poor read for me!
    couldnt agree with you more!

Quote Originally Posted by Cailin View Post
    I second that. If I were a cynical person, I might suggest that one of the reasons that book was ever published was because Cecilia Ahern is the daughter of our former Prime Minister (Taoiseach), Bertie Ahern.
    My thoughts exactly!!!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

I love most books and have rarely found one that I couldn't enjoy for some reason or another but I thought that We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates was just so depressing that I could barely continue to live after I read it.

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. It's the kind of book that leaves you with no hope whatsoever. I read it about a year ago and it still makes me sad.
    When the tupelo
    Goes poop-a-lo
    I'll come back to youp-a-lo

- Kilgore Trout

Knut Hamsun's Hunger

Blindness by Jose Saramago. Definitely. Just imagine you 're blind and everybody around you is as blind as you are. It tore me apart.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idiosynchrissy View Post
    I love most books and have rarely found one that I couldn't enjoy for some reason or another but I thought that We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates was just so depressing that I could barely continue to live after I read it.
    Must be depressing book; I saw the movie and was totally depressed. I really did not care for the film at all.

"The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by Carson McCullers....I believe I read this when I was younger - several of you have mentioned it. I think I liked it very much but it was quite a downer.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini made me really depressed for awhile. If anyone got some bum deals in that book it would be everyone.
    "Get thee to a nunnery."

"Belle du Seigneur" by Albert Cohen made me cry. And Graham Greene's "The End of the Affair", too. Both are very moving and harrowing love stories by wonderful writers.

annabellee

Red face

crime and punishment...it touches my feelings inaway that kept me from finishing it..what can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by armenian View Post
    Knut Hamsun's Hunger
    AMAZING book.

uh, that's all I really have to say.
    Currently Reading:

Harlot's Ghost by Norman Mailer

It's the sense of waste, of lives blighted, of people needlessly tormented that causes me the gut-wrenching sadness, and it is true that Hardy is one of the best there -- *Tess of the D'Urbevilles* affected me more than *Jude the Obscure* because I wasn't so accustomed to the Hardian strain, but *The Return of the Native* seems even more capriciously and believably cruel in some ways.
    *The Good Soldier* is one of my favorites, and this post reminds me that I must read it again. *The House of Mirth* is tragic waste at its worst. Even *Vile Bodies* or *A Handful of Dust* can do that though too.
    I cried when younger at *The Last Battle* by C S Lewis and more recently I cried a bit when Dumbledore died, I must admit.
    I teared up during my reading of *Atonement*, but have avoided the film so far.
    Of all the tragedies one of the most compelling is the Iliad, I get very tearful as the death of Hector approaches (coming all the way), and incandescent at Achilles' treatment of his body. If not, just head on for Aeschylus, Sophocles or Euripides.

Yes definitely Hardy, Tess or Jude for sure. For me Jude over Tess slightly perhaps because I am beginning to feel just like Jude these days.

Jude is definitely depressing, but the book that made me cry the most buckets was Alistair Mclean's HMS Ulysses. A nightmare!

a tearjerker? try charles dickens' dombey's son. something depressing? joseph conrad's the heart of darkness.
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly.
    --Shakespeare

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast