Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem accessing site

problem accessing site

Did anyone else have a problem accessing this site, last night and today. It was fine when I first visited last night but after I sent a post it just seemed to go dead and I couldn't get any pages to open. This morning when I tried, the same happened..nothing! In the end I got a message that said message timed out or something and something about not recieving data from the network. Was it the site at fault or my server? I could go anywhere else on the internet, but not here.

Miranda

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar
    yes yes yes, me too. i was actually twitching with frustration. i could surf anywhere on the net but where i wanted to be. and i was complaining to anyone who would listen too, ask ender and amuse!!
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

Ever Benevolent and Wise

Me too, last night and today

It was really frustrating wasnt it. Now every time I 'turn' a page and its a long time changing, I keep thinking its gonna do it again! But I'm glad I wasn't alone - although I was really cos I was sitting here unable to get there..er here..do you know what I mean.I wish I did. It must have been something to do with the site itself then, not our servers.

Me too... I tried and tried but at the end I had to give up, without having the time to post a HELP ME message here...cos it was too stuck to manage! Today seems fine, but I had huge problems yesterday and a bit the night before...
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

I don't know what the problem was. It was either caused by Google and MSN trying to crawl the site at the same time, or someone with a site ripper going crazy. I did ban the guy with the site ripper from the server and the problem stopped so that may have been it.
    Chris Beasley
    Administrator
    The Literature Network

Blog Entries
    that's cool; thanks. it was a painful last couple of days.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

It was impossible to get to the site a few hours ago (some 6 hours ago I think, around midday in my time zone, 6-9 hours earlier in the American continent), but I guess the American side of the board was asleep and didn't have time to realise... Me and faye did though. Now it's back on business I see
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

This is the first time in 24 hours that I've been able to access the site - I could go anywhere else but here. I kept getting an error message that said check the name, but everything was correct. I tried all ways but nothing worked. It had something to do with my server's cache and the literature site's server, but I'm not technically minded at all and I can't remember the exact wording..except 'frustrating!' I was beginning to think I'd never be able to get back on here again

Miranda

Blog Entries
    me too...even the literature network home page was impossible to access.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

Blog Entries
    stupid question what is a site ripper?

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Same.question.--"ripper"?
    I.guess.I'm.just.naive;.I.assumed.Admin.was.doing. work.on.the.site...
    It.was.frustrating,.but.I.thought.it.would.be.logi cal.to.choose.nighttime
    to.do.any.repairs,.when.the.least.number.of.people .would.be.trying.to.get.on.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

16 posts, I'm already addicted. I was frustrated too yesterday my time.
    if you can't beat them, join them

I would like to know what a 'site ripper' is too.If it were Admin doing work on the site, it would be a good idea to let us know then we could stop trying to access the site and tearing our hair out for the time we knew it was gonna be off.You were lucky Emily if you were only missing a few hours at night..I couldn't access the site for over 24 hours which was really 'head doing'. I guess this site, is rather addictive!!

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar
    i was also unable to access the site for more than a day, it didnt seem to matter if it were day or night, or the forums or the lit network itself...nothing worked. there was all sorts of different error messages that i got with IE and with Firefox, it just said the site didnt exist or the page was empty. i dont know what was happening, but i know i didnt like it at all. i dont actually know what it is about this site, but i get very distressed not being able to get on here at all, even just to browse old stuff. please let us know what is happening here, admin...or stop putting cocaine in the cookies. we are far too addicted to be deprived for any length of time like that.
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast