Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southern California Fires

Blog Entries

Southern California Fires

I've been watching on the news the fires in southern California. And today Lily Adams who lives in the area posted a couple of pictures in the Pictures Taken By You thread. I understand the fires are completely out of control and the Santa Anna winds will be gusting for a few days. This is terrible news in terms of fighting the fire. My prayers are with anyone who lives in the area. Please take care of yourselves and evacuate if told. Here's a picture I picked up off google images.

LET THERE BE LIGHT

Books are embalmed minds.

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My thoughts are with people in the area. A friend just e-mailed us pictures of the sky in their area, and it was completly red in the middle of the day. I've not been able to watch the news, so I was clueless until she sent the images. I'm hoping they will evacuate if told.

Somewhere following my genetic imperative playing Chutes and Ladders with Time.
    Blog Entries
    Oh, thank you for your concern, Virgil. We have fires a lot, but I've never seen anything like this. I'm fine, as the fires aren't really close, but I worry about the people whose houses have been destroyed and whose lives are at stake. One person has already been killed.

I think things are clearing up. The sky looks less orange outside.

Tomorrow always holds the promise of something new and exciting. I am the Jetsons meet the Flintstones.

Blog Entries
    hope everythings okay Lily!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    I actually hadn't even heard of these fires..
    But, by the look of it, it seems like it's been out of control.

I hope it calms down.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I just saw that a while ago on the news! I saw the video that the fire did spread and it was terrible. I hope the people living there are safe!
    Click here to take the stupidity test.

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Apparently there are a bunch of fires around here. One in Malibu, down near San Diego, and then in Arrowhead behind where I live. They have pretty much caused the air to look very hazy. I hope everyone is doing okay.

I guess there are a bunch of idiot's out there that on top of the natural fires, they think it is some bright idea to go and start one of their own. Why...it's beyond me.

How are things going where you are at Lily...clearing up? Yesterday it was just windy where I am at, but today, there is smoke everywhere (no ash yet).
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Blog Entries
    I just saw it on the news here in Sweden as well.
    And the pictures that were taken.. It's hard to understand how the fire can spread that way. What caused it? Heat? The fact that it's dry?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grace86 View Post
    Apparently there are a bunch of fires around here. One in Malibu, down near San Diego, and then in Arrowhead behind where I live. They have pretty much caused the air to look very hazy. I hope everyone is doing okay.

I guess there are a bunch of idiot's out there that on top of the natural fires, they think it is some bright idea to go and start one of their own. Why...it's beyond me.

How are things going where you are at Lily...clearing up? Yesterday it was just windy where I am at, but today, there is smoke everywhere (no ash yet).
    Grace, I heard yesterday that a power line had ripped and fallen and started the fire. I don't know if that is true. But I have not heard this started by human mistakes or pranks.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Books are embalmed minds.

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grace86 View Post

Yeah, pyromaniacs. Lame.

Yes, the sky hasn't turned orange again since yesterday afternoon, but there is still smoke in the air. I think the ash is gone.

It's hard to understand how the fire can spread that way. What caused it? Heat? The fact that it's dry?
    We have fires here fairly regularly, but this is a really, really bad case. We have these winds that come and it makes it dry and since we live in a more desert climate and we don't get much rain the hills have lots of dry brush on them.

A quarter of a million people have been evacuated, and the big fires are in Malibu and in San Diego. The people there need to be thought of.

Tomorrow always holds the promise of something new and exciting. I am the Jetsons meet the Flintstones.

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just saw it on the news here in Sweden as well.
    And the pictures that were taken.. It's hard to understand how the fire can spread that way. What caused it? Heat? The fact that it's dry?
    It's been one of the biggest drought years in decades in California, pretty much no rain really. Where my folks live they literally didn't have a drop of rain for about seven or eight months this year, meaning everything is really, really dry. Because of that I was thinking that the fires would probably be worse than usual this year, but I think these high winds have made an already bad situation really a nightmare.

Apparently the air is bad almost all over the southland from these fires. My dad said he was brushing ash off his car this morning, and we don't even live that close to where the fires are taking place. My prayers for everyone out there.

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

Blog Entries
    How horrible! Here's hoping everybody remains well, and away from the damage.
    '...A cast of your skull, sir, until the original is available, would be an ornament to any anthropological museum. It is not my intention to be fulsome, but I confess that I covet your skull.' --Dr. Mortimer, The Hound of the Baskervilles

The Story of My Life bibliophile190's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, one of my friends goes to school in Irvine and he had a really rough night last night because they were told to be prepared to evacuate. They could see the flames and smell the smoke from their dorm rooms. Luckily he didn't have to leave.
    A room without books is like a body without a soul.
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of "famous" people who live around here and have had run-ins with the fires. I've seen two instances.

1. Daughter of Sherry Lewis on the news with Lambchop. (That was cute-she did a little ventriloquist act.)
    2. Mike Nelson and his family have been told to evacuate.

Very interesting.

We went to the ocean earlier today to try and get away from the heat and smoke, but it wasn't very successful. It just made me feel sick from the air quality and I was sweating like crazy.

Bush has declared a state of emergency. Another fire has started, too, I think. People have died and lost their homes, and firefighters have bravely toiled in the heat for us. It's all just a mess. The air is filled with smoke. Best thing to do is stay inside.

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The news said something like sixteen fires are currently going. They have ruled arson out in a lot of cases, and yes, Virgil one of them was started by a fallen power line...because of the santa ana's I would think. It said on the news that the winds were like 80 mph last night but today they are about 15-20 mph which is basically nothing.

I saw the whole Lamb Chops act today on the news as well. One of the reporters I think on channel 2 was actually reporting and standing in front of his own house burning down.

Where I live and go to school the air quality is getting very bad and there is a fire pretty close as well.

I was out in the ash and sun today in Fullerton for about three hours doing a college fair, this air is horrible...feeling kind of sick. I guess we are supposed to be expecting cloudy and cooler weather by Thursday...let's hope so, prayers please!

Here is a link to the locations of some of the fires...hope it works.

http://netzoo.net/la-times-creates-g...fire-storm-07/
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast