Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Darcy...every women's dream man

Quote Originally Posted by The E in M.E. View Post
    I can understand that. I confess I've never really understood how someone could fall for Mr. Rochester anyway (please don't hurt me, anyone!). Mr. Darcy seems to be more the gentleman.
    I agree. Rochester is too dark and depressed.

Kiddjcjkk
    The thing is though - would you really want to meet him? Would he really be that amazing in real life? I read a book, called something like "Mr Darcy and I", can't remember who by. It was about this modern day woman, who was totally into pride and prejudice met the Mr Darcy. But it just didnt work for her; his manners were too distant and he was too 1800s-ish. Thats the problem; we all think we would love to meet Mr Darcy, but he'd be a horrible snobish, weird, posh guy from the 1800s and we're upbeat contemporary girls from a modern era... or is it post-modern now, I don't even know!
    Mr Darcy represents the perfect guy - a gentleman, with a successful career, who is rich and gorgeous. But if he really existed, we wouldn't be able to handle it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddjcjkk View Post
    The thing is though - would you really want to meet him? Would he really be that amazing in real life? I read a book, called something like "Mr Darcy and I", can't remember who by.
    I've read that
    It's by Alexandra Potter; what did you make of it?
    I thought it was quite a good story.
    "Then I feel, Harry, that I have given away my whole soul to someone who treats it as if it were a flower to put in his coat, a bit of decoration to charm his vanity, an ornament for a summer's day"
    Oscar Wilde [The Picture of Dorian Gray]

Kiddjcjkk
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyW View Post
    I've read that
    It's by Alexandra Potter; what did you make of it?
    I thought it was quite a good story.
    I loved it! It was kind of weird - i spent half it trying to work out how the tour lady was so omniscient, and how the co. was making Darcy appear and disappear. I thought it just came down to Austen Power!!
    I mean, i guess it was kind of predictable what was going to happen, but you just never quite knew where Alexandra Potter was taking it - I guess very like Helen Fielding with Bridget Jones's Diary (sorry, slightly obsessed at the moment; I'm comparing Pride and Prejudice with Bridget Jones's Diary for A Level coursework!).
    No, I thought it was excellent.

Have you ever read a book called Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field by Melissa Nathan? I read that a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed that one! If you want to read something that seems to parallel Pride and Prejudice, I think this is much better than Bridget Jones' Diary.

As for Darcy, I was thinking the other day (I am currently re-reading P&P) that he is pretty good. I have always gotten a kick out of his attitude! But my heart still lies with Wentworth! Well, Wentworth and Rochester. Yes, I am a fan of his and I am torn between the two men! How could I possibly resist Wentworth for Rochester, though? He is just too good!

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    I rather preffered Mr.Bingley, myself. The "bad boys with hearts of gold" are overdone! What happened to the nice,sweet guys in the world of lit?
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by dramasnot6 View Post
    What happened to the nice,sweet guys in the world of lit?
    That is why Captain Wentworth is so good!

Blog Entries
    I also love Mr Darcy but I have to say that happened for me after i saw Colin Firth play him. I have to agree there is nothing more attractive then a man who changes for the woman that he loves.

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    Yeah...but how often does that happen?
    Men rarely change, and when they do it is usually for themselves. I hate to sound hopelessly cynical,of course...because there is beauty in the world of love, and miracles do occur within the hearts of men on very seldom occasions. That is why it is so much fun to read Austen, she gives us hope.
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by dramasnot6 View Post
    Yeah...but how often does that happen?
    Men rarely change, and when they do it is usually for themselves. I hate to sound hopelessly cynical,of course...because there is beauty in the world of love, and miracles do occur within the hearts of men on very seldom occasions. That is why it is so much fun to read Austen, she gives us hope.
    Reminds me of the saying of the great philosopher Red Green:
    "I'm a man,
    but I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess."

Quote Originally Posted by JAustnQuilnInk View Post
    Mr. Darcy. *sigh* There honestly is no man I would rather meet. There is something so captivating about the way Jane Austen develops her characters. She constantly introduces them one day, and by the end of the novel your heart is swarming with dozens of different emotions towards them. For example, Mr. Darcy is introduced as an arrogant, insufferable, ignorant, cheauvenistic elite. By the end of the novel, he is perfect for Elizabeth in every way possible. Why can't that happen in real life? *sigh*
    sure he is leading towards the intellectual love with eliza.Everlasting one.Evry intelletual women should deserve a husband like Darcy

I feel the same way about Mr. Darcy (number 1 on my list of literary characters i would like to meet) as i do about Colonel Brandon from Sense and Sensibilty. They both are so caring towards the women they love! SIGH

still waiting to be found amanda_isabel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I liked Mr. Darcy while reading about him, but the movie, the one starring Keira Knightley, came on before I finished the book and I decided to watch it.

I not only fell in love with the cinematography, but with Mr. Darcy (Matthew McFadyen).. He is my dream man!

Now all that's left to do is wait for him to come along....
    ...don't need therapy to rehabilitate my smile...

http://profiles.friendster.com/6239700

Adopting a more pessimistic outlook: Rochester's rash, Darcy's dreadful but Wentworth's still wonderful.

after i saw the BBC version i liked Darcy, but when i read the book i absolutly felt in love with him...i love him just because he isn't perfect...he's the only character in the world of literature whitch i really love...i'm still waiting for my Mr Darcy and i really hope that a man like him exist in teal world too. Mr. Darcy will always hold the key of my heart...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast