Thread: Who can help me find English short stories?

Question Who can help me find English short stories?

Hi there! I'm looking for some English short stories with a length of 800-1500 words, from which we understand some truths or get some inspirations about life. Anyone willing to provide me some sources? Your kindness would be highly appreciated. Millions thanks!

You could try some of Saki's short stories - he doesn't sound English, but he is. I just looked on the internet and I think there is quite a lot about him. One of his stories, is at http://www.wondersmith.com/scifi/toby.htm and there maybe other ones on other sites. There is also Somerset Maugham, though I haven't really read any of his stories, Walter De La Mare, G K Chesterton, Thomas Hardy, modern women's writer - Fay Weldon, though whether any of these fit the length you require, I dont know. Perhaps others have some more suggestions for you, but I hope this helps a little.

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar
    when you say "english short stories", do you mean written in the language English? or by authors from England?
    for stories written in English i could recommend maybe "a clean, well lighted place" by Ernest Hemingway or even "the resplendant quetzal" by Margaret Atwood. also, "the yellow wallpaper" by charlotte perkins gilman, and "A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner.
    these are all stories that are suitable for analysis, and provide some deeper insight into the author's view of society or societal rules. let me know if im on the wrong track completely.
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

I'm so sorry to have confused you. I have ignored the fact that I'm now in a community where everybody speaks English, cause I could only remember I'm Chinese, and not aware that I would make everybody confused that which I refered to when I said " English ", the language or the people. Making it clear, I'm looking for short stories written in English. As for the sources you have provided me, I appreciate it a lot. Many thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda
    You could try some of Saki's short stories - he doesn't sound English, but he is. I just looked on the internet and I think there is quite a lot about him. One of his stories, is at http://www.wondersmith.com/scifi/toby.htm and there maybe other ones on other sites. There is also Somerset Maugham, though I haven't really read any of his stories, Walter De La Mare, G K Chesterton, Thomas Hardy, modern women's writer - Fay Weldon, though whether any of these fit the length you require, I dont know. Perhaps others have some more suggestions for you, but I hope this helps a little.
    Miranda, I'm very grateful to your kindness and help, no matter what you suggested fits my requirements or not. Anyway, I'm gonna check it out Thank you so much!

Jonathon Swift 'A modest Proposal' is sort of a short story... an excellent example of satire, anyways...
    Raven

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Jonathon Swift 'A modest Proposal' is sort of a short story... an excellent example of satire, anyways...
    Thank you!

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar
    oh that was an excellent suggestion, raven. just understand when you start to read it, that it IS a satire. same i suppose with Gulliver's Travels, although that's a bit more novel length.
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

Blog Entries
    Try "There Will Come Soft Rains" by Ray Bradbury...it's a GREAT short story.
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

I liked "The Age of Lead" by Margaret Atwood and "Kew Gardens" by Virginia Woolf.