Thread: NBAs, Amazon reviews and your thoughts

plz O plz put it away!!1 ucdawg12's Avatar

NBAs, Amazon reviews and your thoughts

Hello ladies and gents,

How do you all feel about the National Book Awards? Do you anticipate the short lists, the winners, or are you ahead of the curve and you've read them well before they win their praise? Or do you not even bother with them? I'm interested in what a well-read forum thinks about these awards and other literary prizes. How important are they to you?

The reason I ask is because recently I looked into the list of recent NBA winners and I looked over them on Amazon and perhaps add them to my wish list, but what I found was a little surprising. I started from 2006 and worked my way back when looking up these titles, and I saw that very few of them had average reviews of 4/5 stars or better. Many had less than 3.5/5. And of the reviews I skimmed I saw some educated criticisms of these books. I don't remember which titles specifically but I do recall reading reviews criticizing shallow characters and the like. I don't believe that the criticism came from uneducated readers who didn't know what they were getting into, that is how I feel, but I could be wrong.

I have not read a single NBA winning book so I don't know what to make of it myself, and the long queue of books I have right now will prevent me from reading one and making my own opinion. So I am interested in what you guys think because I believe this is the audience that these books are written for. Do you think these literary prize winning books deserve their praise or are other books more deserving?
    "O God, thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."

I've checked the list back to 1980 and if that list is means anthing then I am poorly read. I've only read one book from the list and that book was a runner up.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

plz O plz put it away!!1 ucdawg12's Avatar
    lol, this post as over 3,000 views but only one reply. i guess this is not the audience for NBAs. it just makes me wonder if its audience is a really small elitist group or something.

all these literary awards seem so prestigious but i cant find many people who care enough about them to anticipate them or even talk about them.

it would be great if there were some literary awards or lists that a bunch of people looked forward to every year for great books and discussion but there doesn't seem to be anything like that
    "O God, thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."

Blog Entries
    I put little value in awards and the criticisms of others. Really my opinion matters most to me. Rankings of books in some 3 stars out of 5 is soooo unidimensional.
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay