Thread: [Title Pending]

Vocal Group '07...BOOYAH! MarileeRixon's Avatar

[Title Pending]

The happy screams of excited children rang out in the amusement park like a passing freight train in the middle of nowhere. Zack, Kody, Christine and Roxxanne wandered around, eating fairy floss and chatting animatedly among them selves. They had just returned from a statewide eisteddfod where their choir had placed second, narrowly defeated by a private school.
    “Hey, who wants to ride the roller coaster with me?” asked Zack, shaking his shock of chocolate brown hair out of his dark eyes.
    “I will,” Roxxanne agreed, handing her fairy floss to Christine, who adamantly refused to go on such a fast, scary ride.
    “Race you!” called Zack, already halfway to the ride. Roxxanne followed, her long blonde ponytail swinging back and forth as she ran to catch up to him.
    “Look at them! They’re hopelessly in love with each other, but they don’t know it!” Said a somewhat frustrated Christine to Kody.
    “They’ll figure it out eventually. And when they do, then the whole world will seem perfect.” Replied Kody.
    “Oh, look who’s here. It’s Ella and Carlos. My gosh they’re ugly! But that just makes them perfect for each other – two nerds, both ugly, one’s a ***** and one would be okay if he weren’t so ugly!” said Christine, obviously disgusted.
    “Whoa, Christine. That’s not exactly a nice thing to say!” replied Kody, surprised.
    “Stop sticking up for her! You’re only doing it because you know it makes me mad because you like her!” Snarled Christine.
    “So what if I like her? She doesn’t deserve to be spoken about like that any more than you do!” Kody whispered back angrily. “As a matter of fact, I might go and ask her out right now!”
    “You do that! See if I care! I’m going to wait right here for Zack and Roxxanne to get back.”
    Kody stormed off in the direction that Ella had gone, with absolutely no intentions whatsoever of asking her out. He loved on person, and one person only. Christine. He was so mad that he didn’t notice Roxxanne and Zack until he ran into them.
    “Whoa. What’s up Kody? Where’s Christine?” Zack asked.
    “She’s back waiting for you guys. Listen, Roxxanne, can I talk to you for a minute?” said Kody, looking at Zack in a way that meant, “Go away, I want to talk to her alone”.
    “Um, I’ll go find Christine and keep her company.” Said Zack, already weaving through the crowds of teenagers, children and adults alike.
    “So what is it you wanted to talk to me about Kody?” asked Roxxanne once Zack was gone.
    “It’s about Christine. I think I love her. But we can’t seem to agree on anything! Like just now, she started teasing Ella and Carlos just because she saw them together! It’s like she’s jealous that Ella can get a boyfriend and she can’t!” said Kody.
    “Why don’t you just ask her out? I’m sure she’d say yes! Maybe right now wouldn’t be the best time to do it, but in a few weeks’ time, after this has all died down and you’re not both flustered and angry you should ask her out.”
    “Yeah. Thanks Roxy. I’m lucky to have someone like you to talk to about stuff.”
    “ Hey, no problem. Anytime. It’s what friends are for!”
    Just then, Zack and Christine came. Christine was trying very hard to avoid eye contact with Kody.
    “I think we’re all very tired after the long plane ride, and then spending all day here, and we hardly slept while we were away, so I think we should all go home, and we can talk about our trip at school tomorrow.” Said Zack. Everyone nodded in agreement, and went their separate ways. The next day, Roxxanne, Christine, and Kody met at Roxxanne’s house after school. Zack had a school council meeting and couldn’t be there.
    “Why do you like him so much?" Laughed Christine, shaking her mid-length brown hair. Her laughter reached her dark eyes, and they sparkled with happiness.
    “Yeah Roxy, what is it that you like so much 'bout Zack?” Kody chimed in. Everyone loved Kody. He had longish blonde hair, blue eyes, a gorgeous smile, and a beautiful body that everyone wanted.
    “I dunno. Maybe the way he shakes his dark hair, or the way his eyes seem to have hidden depths that no one will ever reach, or his beautiful singing voice that belongs to an angel, or his personality, or - ”
    “Okay, Roxxanne. I think we understand that you've fallen head-over-heels in love with Zack, who just happens to be my best friend," interrupted Kody.
    “So what do you like so much about Christine then, Kody?” Shot back Roxxanne quickly, her eyes blazing with anger and embarrassment.
    Kody and Christine fell backwards onto Roxy's bed, howling with laughter. Roxxanne joined in, straightening her waist-length dark blonde hair.
    Suddenly, there was a knock at the bedroom door.
    “Who is it?” Called Roxy, her voice shaking with laughter.
    “Just me,” called Roxy's mum. “There's a young man here to see you. Shall I send him up?”
    “Yeah. Thanks mum,” Replied Roxxanne. Then, to her friends, “I wonder who it is?”
    Her question was answered by a double knock at the door, followed by none other than Zack himself. Kody and Christine fell backwards crying with laughter again.
    “Sp-speak of the D-devil!” Stammered Kody, shaking with laughter.
    “Bad timing?” Zack asked Roxxanne, an amused expression on his face.
    “No, not at all! We were just talking about choir. Oh, shush, you two!” Replied Roxxanne, glaring at Kody and Christine.
    “Actually, Roxy, that's what I came to talk to you about. I can't be Choir Captain any more, and I've decided to give the position to you.” Said Zack, all amusement gone from his face and voice.
    “But why can't you be Captain any more? And why choose me instead of Kody or Christine or Allissia?” Replied Roxxanne.
    “Well, they say this war between America and Korea is going to escalate into World War Three very soon, and the military is calling all young men to fight for their country as America's allies. I think it'll be a bit hard for me to get to choir rehearsals from Korea! As for why you, and not someone else, well that's easy. Two reasons: One, you can sing better than anyone I know. Secondly, because I love you.” Said Zack, with sadness in his eyes. Kody and Christine stared at Zack as though he'd just fallen from the sky.
    Roxxanne's voice was shaking with a mixture of emotions. “But Zack! You've never hurt even an ant in your life! Why go to war and die for no reason? Leave the Yanks to fight their own wars!”
    Kody was more understanding of his friend. “It's your decision, Zack. But make sure you write home occasionally!”
    Christine just stared at Zack, dumbstruck.
    “I’ll definitely write home. At school on Monday, they’re calling a special whole-school assembly so I can formally hand over the Choir Captain’s badge to Roxxanne, and so that you can all say goodbye and stuff,” Said Zack. “I have to go home and pack now, but I just wanted to come and let you know so it wasn’t as big a shock on Monday. Kody, make sure these two don’t get in too much trouble for me, will you?” Said Zack solemnly, with a hint of laughter as he said the last part.
    “Yeah, of course. Anything for my friends. Are you sure this is what you want to do, Zack?” Replied Kody, also very solemn.
    The four friends chatted for a while about happy things, like the latest songs from their favourite bands; the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie; and their success as a choir at the New South Wales Youth Eisteddfod where they’d come a close second, before Zack announced that he had to go. Kody and Christine said their goodbyes shortly after, and Roxxanne was left alone.
    She began to write in her diary about how much she loved Zack, though he didn’t know it. She wrote for so long that she fell asleep with her head resting on the open diary. She didn’t wake until late the next morning, to find Zack sitting next to her with the diary in his hands.
    He was reading her diary! Roxxanne sat bolt upright in anger, startling Zack.
    “Roxxanne! You scared me! I didn’t know you were awake!” Said a startled Zack, wiping a tear from the corner of his eye.
    “What are you doing here?” Asked Roxxanne, the anger draining from her at the sight of Zack’s tear.
    “I – I came to say goodbye one last time,” said Zack sadly.
    “Why were you reading my diary?” Demanded Roxxanne.
    “It was open on the floor. I picked it up and glimpsed my name written in it. I wanted to know why. I’m sorry, Roxxanne,” said Zack, closing the book and extending it toward her. As he did so, their eyes met, and they held each other’s gaze for what seemed an eternity before Zack took a tentative step forward and they were standing so close that Roxxanne could have counted the threads in his Cold Chisel fan shirt. Suddenly, Zack leant down and kissed Roxxanne. After her initial surprise, Roxxanne relaxed a little and kissed him back. Then they seemed to realise what they were doing, and hastily pulled apart. Zack handed Roxxanne the diary, and left the room.
    Roxxanne caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror of her dresser, and smiled. Her hair was a mess and her mascara had run, she had blue ink on her face from where she’d been laying on her open diary, and her cheeks were flushed pink with embarrassment, yet Zack had kissed her. She opened her diary to the page she’d been writing on before she fell asleep, and saw a message in Zack’s handwriting. It read:
    Dear Roxxanne,
    I’m not sure how to say this, but it’s something I just have to say before I go.
    I just want you to know that no matter where I am, what I’m doing, I’ll always be there for you. I realise that these might be the last words I ever say to you, so I’ll make them count.
    I love the way your whole face lights up when you smile, the way your voice makes the whole choir sound great, the way your hair shines gold in the sun, and the way you look so peaceful when you’re sleeping.
    Every time I see you, all I want to do is kiss you all over, but I can’t because I know you don’t like me the way I like you. Now, I’m about to go off and fight for our country, and there’s a chance that I’ll never see you again. This is for you to remember me by, and I hope you aren’t mad at me when you wake up and read this.
    Love, Zack.
    Roxxanne lay on her bed, and began to cry. She didn’t try to stop the tears; she just let them come. She didn’t stop crying until she could cry no more.

23rd May
    Dear Diary,
    Choir practice has been so different without Zack there. It’s as though there’s something missing from the sound of our voices that makes it sound as though we’re all singing different notes. Zack’s voice was what held us all together! We need him, but he’s on the other side of the world. I haven’t told Christine and Kody about The Kiss, yet. I don’t know if I should.
    Zack said he’d write, but I haven’t heard from him yet. I suppose it might take a while for his letters to get to me, but it’s been three months since he left, and I can’t help but wonder if something terrible has happened to him.
    It’s his birthday soon, and we’re planning a party for him, even though he can’t be there with us.
    Roxxanne.
    30th May
    Dear Diary,
    I can’t believe what has just happened. Zack’s parents came over while I was doing my homework, and they gave me a letter. I opened it, and it said:

To Whom It May Concern.
    It is with great regret that I inform you that Private Zackary M. Gantfield has passed away in the field of duty.
    Then it went on to say what an honoured and well thought-of soldier Zack was, and some high-ranking army guy had signed it.
    After I read the note, Zack’s parents also gave me a wrapped package. I opened it, and it was Zack’s diary. There was a note inside it, telling me to read it. Well, I read it. And now my tears are smudging everything I write.
    This diary entry will be my last ever. Tonight, I say goodbye to Christine and Kody, to my family, to the choir, to my teachers, to my peers, to the world, and say hello to Zack. Right after I tell Christine and Kody about the last time I saw him…
    “You did WHAT with Zack?!” Exclaimed Christine. I just told her about The Kiss. Uh-oh. Here comes Kody. I think he heard Christine’s shout. Great. Now he’s going to want to know. I should have just left them a letter, like I was going to!
    “Keep it down, Christine! I don’t want the whole school to know,” I said.
    “Hey guys! What’s happenin’?” Asks Kody. I pretend to be perfectly happy so that he doesn’t start asking awkward questions.
    “Roxxanne was just telling me about the last time she saw Zack,” said Christine. I glare at her angrily.
    “Huh? We already know because we were there, don’t we?” Said Kody, confused.
    “Yes, you do. We were just laughing about it because it was so funny. Weren’t we, Christine?” I said, glaring at her.
    “Um, yeah….” Christine said absently, seeming very interested in her fingernails.
    “Oh. Okay. I’ve got to go to a meeting now, so I’ll see you guys later.” Kody seemed disappointed that we weren’t telling him anything new.
    “I’d better go too. I’ll be in trouble if I’m late home” said Christine. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” Christine walked off, and I was left standing alone outside the music room. Since I haven’t told Kody and Christine about Zack’s death yet, I’ve written them a letter explaining everything. I pull the letter out of my pocket and hold it in my hand. I reach into my pocket again, and pull out a pistol I’d found years ago. Holding it to the side of my head, I pulled the rusty trigger.
    Christine was on her way home when she heard a single gunshot coming from the school. Shocked, she turned around and ran back toward the school. Other people had heard the shot too, and as she neared the school, she could hear screams of shock and horror coming from the building where she took her music classes. She could hear teachers telling the kids to leave the scene and go home. Christine ran over to the big group of people, which had begun to shrink already, shock-faced people backing away unable to believe their eyes, and pushed her way to the front. When she got there, what she saw shocked her so much that she just stood staring open-mouthed at it. Roxxanne’s body lay in a crumpled heap in a pool of dark red liquid. Blood. It was then that Christine noticed the bloodstained white envelope clutched tightly in Roxxanne’s hand.
    Squeezing past the people surrounding the horrible sight, she pulled the envelope from Roxxanne’s hand. On it was written, To Christine and Kody, with love from Roxxanne. With shaking hands, and tears forming in her eyes, Christine stood up. For a moment, she wondered why Zack’s name wasn’t on the envelope as well. She searched the small crowd for Kody, not wanting to open the letter by herself. She couldn’t see Kody anywhere! He must be in his meeting still, she thought. Walking over to a seat, Christine sat down and opened the envelope, unable to contain her curiosity any longer.
    In the envelope there were two pieces of paper. The first was the letter from the Army announcing Zack’s death. The second was a letter in Roxxanne’s handwriting, addressed to Christine and Kody.
    Dear Christine and Kody,
    I hope you read the other piece of paper before you read this one, because it will make this letter a whole lot easier to understand.
    If you’re reading this, it means I’m already dead, and you know what happened when Zack came to say goodbye one last time before he left. This letter is a way for you to remember me; just like the hundreds of photos and memories we had together.
    I’m sorry I didn’t say goodbye properly, but I thought it would be easier this way.
    There are a few things I have to say, secrets that you’ve both told me trusting that I wouldn’t tell anyone.
    The first is something Kody told me a few weeks ago. Christine, Kody loves you.
    About the same time, Christine told me something similar. Kody, Christine loves you.
    At this point, Christine had tears beginning to roll slowly down her cheeks, blurring her vision so that she could read no more. Suddenly, she felt someone put a comforting arm around her shoulders. Looking up, she saw that Kody was sitting beside her, with tears in his eyes. Christine gave him the letter to read, and walked away with her head hanging.
    Kody opened the envelope, and read both pages. Standing, he put the envelope and the two letters in his pocket and ran after Christine. He had something to ask her, and something to tell her.
    Christine was sitting down by the lake when Ella found her. Christine hated Ella with a passion after a major issue involving Kody a few months back.
    “This is all your fault!” shouted Christine. “She wouldn’t have done this if you hadn’t pestered her about liking him every day!”
    “Wh-what?” Ella stammered, on the verge of tears. “What do you mean? I don’t even know what you’re talking about! Whatever happened at school today, I’ve got no idea, ‘cause I wasn’t there!”
    “Roxxanne shot herself, Ella! Her letter that she left said that it was because she loved Zack, and people kept teasing her about it! Well, you know what? He loved her too! And they kissed last time they were together!” Snarled Christine, tears of anger running down her cheeks. The girls were so engrossed in their argument that they didn’t notice Kody coming up behind them until he grabbed Christine around the waist and told them to stop arguing.
    “C’mon, girls, it’s no one’s fault, what happened today. Christine, we need to talk,” said Kody. “Alone.” He added, looking at Ella, who stalked off, so angry she was crying. Christine fell to the ground, crying. Kody sat next to her and listened to her crying. Through the tears, he thought he could hear her saying something. Oh well, he thought. I’ll find out what she’s trying to say when she stops crying.
    When Christine eventually stopped crying, it was getting dark, so her and Kody decided to sleep in the tree house that they’d built as little kids with Roxxanne. When they woke up the next morning, they were drenched in sweat and completely nude.
    “Um, did something happen last night Kody?” Asked Christine, bewildered. Kody looked at himself, the tangled sheets and at Christine, equally bewildered, and said, “Umm, something might have happened…I don’t know!” Then he looked at Christine, and said, “What would happen if something did happen last night and neither of us remembered it?”
    “Then I’d have to tell you that I love you. I always have, and I always will,” said Christine, all seriousness.
    “Wh-what?” Said Kody, unable to comprehend what she was saying.
    “You heard me,” Christine mumbled, embarrassed.
    “If you’re gonna confess that, then maybe I should make my own confession,” began Kody. “I – I have to tell you that what Roxxanne said in her letter was true. I do love you. I only told her because I couldn’t keep it in any longer, I had to tell someone, and when I couldn’t work up the courage to tell you, I told Roxxanne.”
    “Well, what she said about me is true, too, Kody. I love you,” Admitted Christine, her cheeks flushing bright red.
    “Sooo,” said Kody, breaking the awkward silence that had fallen between them. “Now what happens? I mean, do we pretend like nothing happened? Or do we discuss it over dinner sometime?”
    “Are you asking me on a date?” Questioned Christine, a look of wonder and amusement etched upon her sweat and tear stained face. “ ‘Cause if you are, my answer is yes…I think.”
    “Really?” said Kody, smiling. “I thought you’d reject me or something. That’s why I never asked you before.”
    “And I thought you were just being stubborn! I thought you’d say no if I asked you!” Said Christine.
    “I’ll call you sometime. Right now though, I think we should find our clothes. It’s kinda weird, sitting here in the nude where anyone could find us,” said Kody, an amused expression on his face.
    “Good idea!” Giggled Christine.
    Christine picked up the beeping phone with shaking hands and looked at the screen. Kody had sent her a text message! Excited, she read and re-read the message:
    Hi Christine. R U free Saturday night? Let me know if you are, maybe we could catch a movie and a bite to eat? Love Kody.
    Christine hurriedly replied:
    I’m free..And that’s the best idea you’ve ever had!
    Then she returned to her homework, but couldn’t keep herself from glancing at the phone every couple of seconds, waiting for Kody’s reply. Then, ten minutes later, it came, in the form of an instant message on her computer.
    KodyRules08:
    Hey there! So ur free on Saturday?
    PR1NC355CHR15T1N3:
    Yep. We’ll see a movie then dinner or vice-versa, right?
    KodyRules08:
    That’s right. I’ll pick you up about 6:30, is that ok?
    PR1NC355CHR15T1N3:
    That’s perfect! I’ll see you then…I have to go now, mum is calling me to dinner.
    KodyRules08:
    Ok. I’ll see you Saturday then.
    Saturday night couldn’t come quickly enough in Christine’s eyes. She had noticed that she was two weeks late in her monthly cycle. This wasn’t good – she was only sixteen! She was just wondering how to break the news to Kody and her parents when the phone rang. It was Kody, telling her he was going to pick her up early on Saturday.
    ”Good,” said Christine. “Because I have something I have to tell you.”
    ”What is it?” Kody asked, already knowing what her answer would be.
    ”You’ll have to wait ‘til Saturday for that! I’m keeping it a secret for now,” replied Christine. Kody grinned to himself and rolled his eyes.
    ”I knew you’d say that. See you Saturday. I love you!”
    ”Yeah. Bye.”
    Saturday came, and Christine was extremely nervous about telling Kody about her “Problem”. In her mind she went over all the possible reactions that Kody might have. He could be excited, nervous, angry, sad, happy, incredulous; he could dump her, even though they had only been an item for a few days, he could commit suicide like Roxxanne - he could have so many different reactions that it was hard for Christine to decide upon just one!
    Kody arrived early, just like he had said he would, and Christine greeted him with a smile. She was nervous. So nervous, in fact, that she could feel butterflies in her stomach moving around with such rapidity that she felt sick.
    “What’s wrong?” asked Kody, the smile already slipping from his handsome face.
    “Kody, I think something did happen that night in the tree-house.”
    “What? How do you know? I mean, does it matter? We still love each other, right?”
    “Kody, I’m pregnant.” Said Christine, in between sobs of both laughter and happiness.
    “You’re what? I – How did this happen?” Kody was shocked beyond belief. Then, suddenly, Christine started laughing.
    “What’s so funny? Why are you laughing?” Demanded Kody. This just made Christine laugh even harder.
    “Your face! The expression on your face when I told you!” Christine managed to blurt out between fits of laughter. Finally, she stopped, gasping for breath.
    “So you aren’t pregnant? I’m not gonna be a father any time soon?” Asked Kody.
    “No, I’m still pregnant. I’m just not worried about it because I love you and I know you love me, and I know that no matter what happens we’ll be there for each other and for the baby.” Replied Christine, now with a serious expression on her face.
    “You know what? You’re right. You’re absolutely right. I do love you, and I will love our baby as much as I love you. But right now, I don’t know about you, but I’m starving. Let’s go get dinner, then watch a movie.”
    And with that, Kody and Christine walked off into the sunset, hand in hand. Two weeks later, they both gave beautiful eulogies at both Roxxanne’s and Zack’s funerals, and they were laid to rest side by side with white marble headstones in the shape of angels. A few months after that, Kody proposed to Christine, and she accepted. The wedding was beautiful. The sequins on Christine’s dress sparkled in the twighlight like a million stars, and the white roses in her hair seemed to shine like miniature suns. Her bouquet of red and white roses landed in the hands of the bridesmaid Cyndra.
    Later that year, Christine would give birth to twins. It was a unanimous agreement to name the girl Roxxanne, and the boy Zack. They would grow up to be spitting images of their parents.
    Kody and Christine lived in a two-story house overlooking the ocean on a secluded stretch of coastline in Northern Queensland. On the weekends, they would take the kids out on the water in their yacht, the Halicarnassus.
    Zack and Roxxanne grew up to be exactly like their mum and dad – fun loving, humorous, good-natured, and intelligent.
    Last edited by MarileeRixon; 12-14-2007 at 10:06 PM.

Flying against the wind CdnReader's Avatar
    Great story, Marilee. I hope you'll continue.

"Courage is not the absence of fear but the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -- Ambrose Redmoon

CR: Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert
    JF: Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen. My review is here.

Vocal Group '07...BOOYAH! MarileeRixon's Avatar
    Oh, I'll definitely continue!!
    I was actually writing the story for a friend to begin with, then I posted it on MySpace, and it sort of ended up all over the net, with a lot of different people awaiting the end! It's actually kind of exciting...
    'There is no such thing as an aspiring writer. You are a writer. Period. I was told that once, and I have never forgotten it.' — Matthew Reilly

It was fully five feet tall, even while standing on all four legs, and it was completely black in colour, jet-black from head to toe. It looked like a jaguar of some sort. A giant black jaguar.
    Temple - Matthew Reilly

Manny2
    Blog Entries
    i agree, very good and catchy.. kinda sad though.. but i like it its creative
    "You may win some, you may lose some, but you'll never be there again"