Thread: Cervantes quote question.

Cervantes quote question.

Hey, everyone, I have a question about a quote I found online attributed to Cervantes. here it is:

"Sanity may be madness, but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be."

I can't find this in my copy of Don Quixote or in any online editions. Is it even from the novel or is it from another of his writings? Or is it not even Cervantes?

Anyone have any information about it? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    It sounds like something that would come out of Don Quixote. Perhaps if you had the quote in Spanish you might find it on the internet easier. Could be that translations don't match.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It isn't in Cervantes' Don Quixote

Inspired by Quixote and Cervantes' The Exemplary Novels, including the story "Riconete y Cortadillo", Playwright Dale Wasserman wrote a play for television, I, Don Quixote (loosely based on Quixote). It was then adapted for the stage and film as Man of La Mancha (1965). It is from La Mancha (most famously starring Peter O'Toole in 1972, where he says:

"I've been a soldier and a slave. I've seen my comrades fall in battle or die more slowly under the lash in Africa. I've held them in my arms at the final moment. These were men who saw life as it is, yet they died despairing. No glory, no brave last words, only their eyes, filled with confusion, questioning "Why?" I don't think they were wondering why they were dying, but why they had ever lived. When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be."
    I also found this rendering/interpretation (?) :

I do not think they were asking why they were dying...but why they had ever lived. When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams, this may be madness. To seek treasure where there is only trash...too much sanity may be madness! And maddest of all...to see life as it is and not as it should be! I am I, Don Quixote The Lord of La Mancha Destroyer of evil am I. I will march to the sound Of the trumpets of glory, Forever to conquer or die ....
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Thank you so much! I had a feeling it wasn't from the original work.