Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Putting God on Trial: The Biblical Book of Job

God's Champion Or God's Toy

Hi all that's my first post, I would like to share you all this point of view, please read in patience.

THE CORRECT INTERPRETATION OF THE BOOK OF JOB

(GOD'S CHAMPION OR GOD'S TOY)
    Study prepared by Rev. Maurice Podder

To correctly interpret the Old Testament we must have revelation from the New. For "until this day" 2 Cor 3:14 much of what is contained in it was obscured or completely hidden.
    Let us begin by asking some basic but important questions.
    1. What part of the book of Job does the New Testament tell us to give the greatest consideration (beginning, middle, or end)?
    James says to consider "the end of the Lord" James 5:11 in Job's life. For God saw Job, as he would be, "perfect and upright", not as he was, fearful and doubting. Job 1:1 Job 3:25
    2. Under whose dominion was Job?
    When Adam sinned he relinquished his birthright to Satan and Satan became the "god (spelled with a small g meaning ruler) of this world" 2 Cor 4:4 Gen 25:34 John 14:30 Eph 2:2. Job was under the dominion of Satan.
    3. If Satan became "the god (ruler) of this world," what does the word WORLD mean?
    The two main words translated world in the New Testament are aion (NT:165 ahee-ohn') meaning an age or particular period 2 Cor 4:4 and kosmos (NT:2889 kos'-mos) meaning order or government Eph 2:2 Therefore when Adam sinned, Satan became the god (ruler) of the age of Adam, exercising authority over the governmental structure of its society for a particular period, but the earth and its contents still belonged to God. Ps 24:1. The world is the societal structure of a particular period or age.
    The picture being portrayed is that of a landlord (God) and a lease holder (Adam first and then Satan). The landlord does not relinquish ownership of his property by leasing it for a particular period of time, but the landlord and the leaseholder are limited by the terms of the lease. The landlord, because of the lease, has limited access to his property and the leaseholder is limited in what he can do to and with what belongs to the landlord.
    4. Do we expect Satan's words to be truth?
    Jesus told us the devil is a liar and "there is no truth in him." John 8:44 In Gen 3:4-5 we have a written record of his lies. Then why do we expect the words he spoke in the book of Job to be true?
    5. Did God give Satan permission to torment Job?
    Now is when we break the fiery chains of Satan. In particular the lie that God is permitting or allowing evil in our lives for our good, or to test us.
    In Job chapter one Satan makes a bold statement of his authority and dominion over all that once belonged to Adam. For when God asked: "Whence comest thou?" "Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it." Job 1:7
    To Satan's bold statement of authority and dominion, God asks a question. Hast thou considered my servant Job? Job 1:8 (Have you seen my champion in the earth?) Satan's answer to God is first an accusation, then a complaint and finally a lie.
    The Accusation -- Job 1:9 --
    Doth Job fear God for nought? The meaning of the word fear (OT:3372 yare' (yaw-ray') is to revere and of the word nought (OT:2600 chinnam (khin-nawm') is to cost nothing or free.
    Satan uses a rhetorical question which expects the answer of NO! The accusation was that God had paid Job for his reverence and worship with blessings and protection.
    The Complaint -- Job 1:10 --
    Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land. Satan's complaint was that God had placed a hedge of protection around Job and all that he had for the purpose of obtaining Job's reverence, worship, and loyalty. That this protection went beyond what was available to other men. Satan inferred God was a respecter of persons. This special privilege of protection, Satan complains, keeps him from exercising his legal right of dominion (obtained from Adam) over Job.
    The Lie -- Job 1:11 --
    But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. This is the lie the church has accepted. That God would put forth His hand to destroy one that loves Him, directly or indirectly by allowing it . God does not use evil, allow it, or permit it for the purpose of producing good. When Paul was accused of teaching "Let us do evil, that good may come?" Rom 3:8 He said this was a slanderous report and that GOD FORBIDS the use of evil to get good. Rom 3:5-7 Yet this slanderous report continues to resound from our church pulpits. That God is permitting or allowing Death, Sickness, Disease, Destruction, or failure for our good.
    Now that we understand the accusation, the complaint and the lie we can answer the question that was asked at the beginning of this section. Did God give Satan permission to torment Job? To find our answer we must ask another question. What was Satan's reason for coming into the presence of God?
    We saw earlier in this study that God's relationship to the one who has dominion is that of a landlord to a lease holder (Adam first and then Satan). The landlord and the leaseholder are limited by the terms of the lease. It is the terms of the lease Satan has come to clarify. Satan did not and does not understand the blessings that come through our love and reverence of God or the protection that comes by shunning evil and living upright before Him. Job 1:8 Because Satan knows no other way to obtain what he desires he tries to manipulate God, through accusation and complaint, and when that fails he lies. These are the same devices he has always used. 2 Cor 2:11
    In Job 1:12 God clarifies the lease. This clarification is not permission. It is fact.
    "Behold, all that he hath is in thy power"
    "Only upon himself put not forth thine hand"

And now God Almighty, the Creator of the universe, and the One to whom all thing ultimately belong proclaims the limit of the lease that Adam had and that Satan must now adhere to. You do not have the authority to kill under the terms of the Adams dominion.
    God again confirms these two facts of dominion and its limit in Job 2:6.
    So what is the answer to our question did God give Satan permission to torment Job?
    No! No! No!

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Let me say first of all, that there is something I call "Job Syndrome". This occurs whenever a Christian or Bible believer experiences disaster and is immediately pounced upon by a host of others who claim to be the same demanding to know what you did wrong. I know of what I speak, it happened to me. When my bipolar went off, the church I was in decided I was possessed by the devil and had me excomunicated. This is, of course, a treatable condition, and with proper medication taken regularly I do rather well. I have episodes at unpredictible times so I'm disabled, yet still, a change in the medication, some yoga, meditation, whatever and I'm OK. Do I blame God for this? No. Did I question God about this? Yes, even as Job did. And I cling to my integrity even as Job did. The whole point of the Book of Job is a lesson: Life isn't a cakewalk. Can you hang on through the worst? And Job does at one point ask for a lawyer Job 16:21. But then he cries out, seeing through the eyes of faith "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold and not another: though my reins be consumed within me" Job 19:25-27.
    Last edited by Pendragon; 08-31-2005 at 10:36 AM.
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Cool JOB...to know Christ and Him crucified.

I know I am a bit late in coming across this topic, but miranda if you are still out there you might shed some light on the following thoughts...

Paul said
    2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
    1 Cor 2:2 NKJV

So what does JOB have to do with Jesus Christ?
    On a seperate note the Bible implies a concept of for lack of a better name "The Courts of the Universe" This concept can be seen primarily in Romans (unfortunately I could not find my notes on specific references.) Basically God does everything so right that he submits it to be viewed by all and in the end everyone will agree he did it right.

It is submitted ealier in the postings that JOB is a covenant person...I would submit that JOB is Gods way of proving that man IS A VALID covenant partner. That God knowing that through His covenant with Abraham would obligate Himself to offer up His Son. God "catches the wise in their own craftiness". See how God sets Satan up..."Have you considered my servent JOB?" Satan then submits the only reason man serves God is because of things, then health, etc...
    I dont know the legal concepts related to a covenant (or the closest equivalent in our day...contractual) partner...but if you begin to look at the story of JOB from this aspect, it exemplifies many of the truths of Gods character and Word. It also clarifies many of the questions that are raised.

I must admit that this is a concept that was revealed to my dad in his years of study of the Word as one of the questions he kept in his mind was..."Lord what does JOB have to do with this?" So while I agree with Him and believe this to be one of the central aspects of the story of JOB; I am not nearly as well studied in it.

(P.S. I thought you might be able to supply the legal concepts related to covenant partners and how these are principals are established in the story of JOB)

The book of Job actually reveals (at least to a certain degree) why suffering is often permitted in this world. Satan's charge against God - that Job only serves him because God blesses him - is at the root of the cosmic war going on in the universe. Satan's primary charge is that God is unfair - that people serve Him either a) because they're afraid of Him, or b) because God "bribes" them through blessings. The book of Job refutes those assertions because God answers the challenge, and Job performs admirably in his challenge. There are times that God withdraws His protection from us - sometimes because we need the correction or challenge to bring us into alignment with His plan for us; other times, we may go "into the fire" because we are to help vindicate God by showing - through faith - that we serve Him even when we cannot see/feel His presence in our lives. That's faith - and it is faith and the servitude of God in our darkest of hours that slams shut Satan's accusations against God.
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345