Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darcy or Tilney?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyWentworth View Post
    "You pierce my soul."
    "I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago."
    "You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan."

and the best...

"I have loved none but you."

How could Darcy ever top any of that??

How pathetic am I that I actually memorized that letter?!??!?!
    Hmmmm... you really got me there.. You have also made me want to re-read Persuasion again, to read it in a different light, ie to focus my attention on Captain Wentworth....

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    to me he is by far the only Austen character one can truely fall for.
    I definitely agree with that. I had the men that I "preferred" in her novels, but it wasn't until Persuasion that I realized that Wentworth was the only man to not only prefer more than the others, but to actually be worthy of falling in love with!

Quote Originally Posted by cactus View Post
    Hmmmm... you really got me there.. You have also made me want to re-read Persuasion again, to read it in a different light, ie to focus my attention on Captain Wentworth....
    You must read it again! A little Wentworth definitely doesn't hurt anyone! I know how much I was taken by him (and the entire book) the first time that I read it, but it was even better the second time around!

Blog Entries
    Oh you sholud read it again cactus.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

ahh...fairytales happyeverafter's Avatar

On mister darcy...

Yeah....personally i think the only possible competition for Mister Darcy is Captain Wentworth from Persuasion.
    HaPpYeVeRaFtEr

~~reality is what you make it,not what it makes you~~

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LadyWentworth View Post
    I know!! I first read it when I was 14. It still has the exact same effect on me now as it did then (if not even more so now). Wouldn't you just succumb to a man if he wrote those words to you?
    im the same with mr darcy!! every time i open pride and prejudice i actualy tingle with anticipation!!

Ok, I really love Mr. Darcy but I know I would hate him from the first moment. In modern times it is difficult or nearly impossible that he would act like he does in the novel.
    I adore Henry Tilney a funny easy going man, he's a positive and playful person.
    As for Cap. Wentworth, I agree, he's the only man to compete with Darcy. Faithful to true love (so rare in men now!) and that letter!. Who can resist a letter like this?

Tilney is frank and an easygoing person but, for me he lacks the dignity and elegance that Darcy possesses.

Wink definitely DARCY!!!!!!!

i don't know about Tilney, i have not read it yet. but i first watched Pride and Prejudice movie and than read the novel for i liked Mr. Darcy's character and wanted to know more about him. and i like his ability to judge people's character, though may be mistaken in jane's case but still...
    and the best thing about mr. Darcy ... once his good opinion lost is lost for ever - Iam like him

Darcy

Oh, please, Darcy is great and Tilney charming (indeed!), but everyone knows that there is none other than Wentworth.

And yes, LadyWentworth (a bit late, but hey), Darcy cannot top him by any means! And yes, you are a bit pathetic . Still, I sometimes re-read that bit. I have to confess .

I guess Darcy wins because everyone has forgotten about Frederick. Oh, well, I guess another vote for Darcy then.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

As a man, I can't really participate in the gushing. However, I think I'd like to hang out with Henry Crawford. He'd be more fun than clergyman Tilney (OK, we could talk about novels, but I doubt we'd be hitting the seamier side of town in London), or Mr. Proud, Darcy (who probably wouldn't want to hang out with me, and would inflict Caroline Bingley's company on me).

Besides, I want to act in "Lovers' Vows". That sounds like fun!

(Wentworth sounds reasonably fun, I'll grant, especially since he's such a lousy shot that I'd get to bag the birds and the glory).

Also, I just read (on line) a theory that "Persuasion" is Austen's retelling of The Odyssey from the woman's perspective. I don't know how this illuminates the book, but it's certainly possible that Austen conceived of the novel in that way.
    Last edited by Ecurb; 02-08-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    Oh, please, Darcy is great and Tilney charming (indeed!), but everyone knows that there is none other than
    ... Knightley. Mr. Knightley.

I wonder about Mr Knightley... On the one hand he is a Darcy in the sense that he is in love and doesn't know it, and you do have to love a man who gets jealous without knowing why , but on the other hand, I don't know if he were interesting enough for me... Although maybe that's a tainted Davies-vision where he was definitely handsome, but not interesting per se, didn't talk a lot. His seventies version was better (for the woman who loves older men with authority).

I think I would definitely go for Tilney if I had to choose between them

What about cute Mr Churchill. You have to love that man, the things he does for his fiancé... A pianoforte indeed!
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12