Thread: Dante, Skepticism and Baha'i Literature

Blog Entries

Dante, Skepticism and Baha'i Literature

A SEISMOGRAPHIC RECORD

Dante had at his disposal a comprehensive and intellectually consistent image of the cosmos and its relationship to God. -Harold L. Weatherby, The Keen Delight: The Christian Poet in the Modern World, University of Georgia Press, Athens, 1975, p.5.

In an age profoundly infected with philosophical scepticism the problem of writing sacred poetry, the great song, requires that we recapture a genuine science of invisible things. This can be done through a grasp by the poet of both the external and internal worlds. The poet conveys his creative intuition into a receptive intuition.
    -ibid. pp.123-149.

The poet, who is a member of the Baha’i community, has before him every atom in existence and the essence of all created things1. There is no break between nature, art, poetry, science, religion and personal life. It is all one, a dynamic unity amidst multiplicity, amidst an organic body of ideas. On the basis of a vast corpus of sacred Writings this same poet has before him a massive body of religious literature. Its frameworks of systematic theology, philosophy, epistomology, ontology, aesthetics, theophanology, history and psychology are, for the most part, in their early stages of development. But the foundation is there for a rich and fertile global literature to evolve within a fusion of opposites, on some ladder of reflection and, inevitably, amidst a complex cross-fertilisation. -Ron Price, The Emergence of a Baha’i Consciousness in World Literature, Unpublished Manuscript, 1996.

You get enough principles here
    to build a cosmos in your brain,
    to wander with Dante through his
    world of keen delight, to rebuild
    his model, a reconstructed universe.

This is far more than mere living, of
    simply amusing oneself, than some
    restless dilettante spectator on the lounge
    room couch; this is appreciation, deep and
    full, far beyond a momentary touch of sorrow;
    this is some vortex spinning with ideas driving,
    hopefully, its readers into their own memory,
    back into a reverie, past depths and the vagueness
    of past-times into a oneness that is slowly sweeping
    the face of the earth, a search that is self-expression.

This universe, this cosmos, this self,
    its likes and dislikes, comings and
    goings, faults and weaknesses are
    one entity, even in its contradictions:
    the oneness of a microcosm in its
    egotism and limitations, walking
    backwards or forewords, in some
    new Rome at the crossroads, in some
    solitude and aloneness which is
    necessary and unavoidable, it seems,
    bringing the past and the future into
    now, with delicate scents, pulsations,
    unnameable tactile sensations, with
    an anxiety surrounding my moments
    of tranquillity but with light as the
    basis of structure and darkness always
    at the periphery, on an inner lifeline of
    such complexity, such a seismographic
    record and sensibility, such a breadth of
    compass within the distilled sphere of
    these words and their fusion of opposites.

Ron Price
    18 August 1996

1Baha’u’llah, Hidden Words.
    Ron Price is a Canadian who has been living in Australia for 42 years(in 2013). He is married to a Tasmanian and has been for 37 years after 8 years in a first marriage. At the age of 69 he now spends most of his time as an author and writer, poet and publisher. editor and researcher, online blogger, essayist, journalist and engaging in independent scholarship. He has been associated with the Baha'i Faith for 60 years and a member for 53 years.cool:

Blog Entries
    It has been nearly a dozen years since I posted an opening note on this thread and, since no one has responded, I'll keep the thread alive with the following item I wrote about Dante some years ago.-Ron Price, George Town, Tasmania
    ----------------------------------
    KNEADED

Part 1:

The whole of Dante’s Paradiso is an opening and a clearing of Dante's own eyes. I could very well see my own poetic opus with a similar note. To return to God, a man must open his eyes, open them to and into a just self-love. Bahá'u'lláh says, in one of His many aphorisms on introspection and the love of self and God: “man must open one eye to the hallowed beauty of the Beloved and close the other to the world and all that is therein.” And again: “One speck of chastity is greater than a hundred thousand years of worship and a sea of knowledge.” The mystic vision and narcissism are perilously similar in their function and structure. Dante, profound theologian as well as poet, acknowledges that this peril is a crucial element in life’s pilgrimage. This theme is also mentioned again and again in my poetry. I discuss again and again the poet’s, the pilgrim's, slow and painful emergence from narcissism to a just, a necessary, self-love and to the acquisition of chastity.

Scribe that he is (Paradiso, 10.27), Dante transcribes his memory and his vision in his canto. I transcribe my view, my reflection, in booklet after booklet of my poetry. The whole movement of vision in Paradiso is from sight to reflection. In my poetry the movement is back and forth, up and down, around and around in an interdependence of diverse points of view rather than the totality of a single vision. -Ron Price with thanks to R. A. Shoaf, Dante, Chaucer, and the Currency of the Word: Money, Images, and Reference in Late Medieval Poetry, Pilgrim Books, 1983.

Part 2:

I’d like to think I had the power
    of precise statement found in all
    great poets and again and again
    in every new phrase but, sadly,
    I describe things hazily with an
    intense personal way of feeling
    because I feel, but do not see,
    with the necessary particularity.

Out of what seems a slimy mud
    of words, a lotus-flower grows,
    and with it imprecisions which
    approximate my thoughts and
    feelings to some order of speech
    which springs like an incantation
    with its beauty and truth to all
    that I feel, to complex states,
    recreated for readers by the letter
    and the symbolic spirit rooted in
    and nourished by my emotions.

I put so much down as if by
    mystic vision and narcissism
    so firmly intertwined, kneaded
    into the very clay of every man.

Ron Price
    28/5/'06 to 14/8/'15.
    Ron Price is a Canadian who has been living in Australia for 42 years(in 2013). He is married to a Tasmanian and has been for 37 years after 8 years in a first marriage. At the age of 69 he now spends most of his time as an author and writer, poet and publisher. editor and researcher, online blogger, essayist, journalist and engaging in independent scholarship. He has been associated with the Baha'i Faith for 60 years and a member for 53 years.cool: