Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamlet as religious drama<<need your help

Unhappy Hamlet as religious drama<<need your help

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey all

what's up

i have to write an essay about Hamlet as a religious drama

but i couldn't find any information

can any one help me plllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllz

thanx

When I put "Hamlet as a religious drama" into Google I get all sorts of information.

ok thanx bro

Why Hamlet is so outraged by Claudius’ marriage to Gertrude after a very short period of mourning? Religious beliefs in Elizabethan times explain.

The Ghost calls Claudius
    “that incestuous, that adulterate beast,
    ... won to his shameful lust
    The will of my most seeming virtuous queen"

(I.i 48—52)
    The Protestant view at the time dictated that a widow should not remarry, but remains married to her deceased husband. The drama in Hamlet's quest hinges on vengence and the the virgin-whore dichotomy.

thnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx aloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot

Gladys for this information , really it's my first time to know this information

thanks alot bro ^_^

Although too late for your essay, I’ve thought some more.

While Gertrude had the legal right to remarry, protocol required that she delay a year or so. Quick remarriage was even the norm among peasants, but noble Hamlet hoped for restraint befitting the Virgin Mary – like some step-children today.

Claudius covets Gertrude. Even if bereaved Gertrude did marry Claudius in haste for fear of personal and political hazards, she soon falls in love. Optimistic, trusting and caring, her sunny sexuality is endearing.

Gertrude grieves briefly after Old Hamlet’s death, can’t see through affectionate Claudius (the murderer), and little understands her beloved Hamlet. Her personality is reality based, dealing with ‘what is’. Unlike Hamlet, Gertrude lacks introspection or ethical insight. Her utterances focus on the here and now, except when cornered by an self-righteous Hamlet and told what to introspect:
    “O Hamlet, speak no more! Thou turn'st mine eyes into my very soul”
    She is genuinely astonished when her beloved son assails her integrity. But is she flawed as Old Hamlet, Hamlet and she herself says?

Of what offence does Gertrude naively pleads guilty? Her confession seems more a self-effacing admission of Original Sin than of any temporal transgression if, as I believe, she is innocent of adultery or abetting Old Hamlet’s murder.

I suspect that Gertrude, the “most seeming-virtuous queen” and “radiant angel”, is as flawless as the Virgin Mary. Not so her beloved son!

Oracle13
    I'm a little hesitant to agree with your assessment of Gertrude as 'flawless.'

I definitely agree with you in that Gertrude lacks introspection and ethical insight - the most obvious evidence for this is her response to the 'mousetrap' play: 'Methinks the woman doth protest too much.' I would also argue that her inability to see Old Hamlet's ghost, during her chat with Hamlet in Act 3 Scene 4, is indicative of her moral blindness.

Not only this, there is some ambiguity when she echoes 'As kill a king?' in the same scene, in response to Hamlet's accusation. Indeed, many stage productions have drawn upon this ambiguity, highlighting the possiblity that Gertrude knew of her new husband's crime.

Even if she didn't have any idea of her husband's crime, I feel that her lack of moral awareness and general dullness is enough to mark her a bad mother. As you said, she is completely incapable of understanding her son, a problem which, in my mind, should be cause for concern in any mother worth the name.

As for Hamlet as a religious play, there is a lot more you can talk about. One interesting development of Hamlet during the play is his gradual 'realisation' that his purpose of revenge is 'divine.' In Act 5 Scene 2, Hamlet speaks to Horatio of 'a dvinity that shapes our ends / Rough-hew them how we will -'. I think this is a very important line - we have heard six of Hamlet's soliloquys by now, each of which deals with the problems of intellect and the choice it gives. Here, at the end of the play, it seems as if the only way Hamlet is able to convince himself to commit the revenge is by placing his actions in the hands of a higher power.

Another issue is Shakespeare's intentional confusion of the two established doctrines of Protestantism and Catholicism within the play. England was a mostly Protestant country at the time Hamlet was written - strangely, then, the Ghost is a Catholic conceit (the ghost, as Shakespeare writes, exists mainly in purgatory, an entirely catholic concept.) There's much much more you can say, you just have to keep an open mind while reading the play.

I do agree that, “As for Hamlet as a religious play, there is a lot more you can talk about”. For instance:

The sin of suicide in, “Or that the Everlasting had not fix'd His canon 'gainst self-slaughter! O God! God!”; and again in, “Is she to be buried in Christian burial when she wilfully seeks her own salvation?

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust in “That skull had a tongue in it, and could sing once. How the knave jowls it to the ground, as if 'twere Cain's jawbone, that did the first murther! This might be the pate of a Politician, which this [jackass] now o'erreaches; one that would circumvent God?, might it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle13
    …her lack of moral awareness and general dullness is enough to mark her a bad mother
    While Gertrude may well be ‘a bad mother’, you condemn half of motherhood! Her lack of intuition is a common enough personality trait. She notices and deals with all the sensory details of the present. Much less common is a Hamlet, who seeks to understand, interpret and form overall patterns and relationships, and who, with imagination, speculates on possibilities, looking into and forecasting the future.

Although your character may be deemed flawed, your personality traits are at worst a handicap. Gertrude should not be blamed! And least of all, for lacking the wise council of Hamlet’s chauvinistic ghost.

Gertrude has much in her favour: she is likeable, responsive, courageous, ingenuous and loyal. She is protective of Claudius even after Hamlet has set her “up a glass”. Her open engagement with others and sunny sexuality (weakly implied in ‘she would hang on him’, ‘Sweet Gertrude’, ‘how cheerfully my mother looks’ and ‘man and wife is one flesh; and so, my mother’, as well as in the love of Old Hamlet and in Claudius’ enthusiasm for her before and after marriage) are dazzling.
    Last edited by Gladys; 11-13-2007 at 12:36 AM. Reason: A mistaken reference to Macbeth has been removed.

Post deleted.
    Last edited by Gladys; 11-13-2007 at 12:33 AM. Reason: No longer applicable

Glayds

Thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxx aloooooooot ^_^

it is fine , it will help me in exam

thanx alot for the information

Oracle 13 thanx alot bro

i read it & study it but i don't know that muh

but i guess both of you have good idea and opinion

& i blieve in them both

thanx bros

Oracle13
    Gladys, just to let you know I will get back to you with something intelligent, I'm just really busy at the moment!

In my lovely flat with my lovely plants ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladys
    While Gertrude had the legal right to remarry, protocol required that she delay a year or so. Quick remarriage was even the norm among peasants, but noble Hamlet hoped for restraint befitting the Virgin Mary – like some step-children today.
    Only protocol? I dare say that, had they existed, her regard for the integrity of her marriage with, and her undying (or, at least, lingering) love and grief for the old Hamlet would be the main preventions of her remarrying so swiftly after his death, and not protocol. It is no crime indeed not to have those qualities since, as you say, the law tolerates lack of virtue. But I certainly do not believe that those qualities, those that value love and marriage above what is given by legality and doctrine, are as you say worthy only of the Virgin Mary. In fact, I’d say those qualities are quite common in the Shakespearean womanhood: Cleopatra, Juliet, Jessica, to name a few. And so, in the world of Shakespearean plays alone, Gertrude as a woman is inferior.

Among “the step-children of today”, I doubt that too many have to see their mother remarry within a month of their father’s sudden death. It wasn’t like the old Hamlet died of some long and drawn-out illness, and there was a process of grief. He was murdered in his prime; the prime, then, of his marriage; cut off even in the blossoms of his sin. One would have thought that the shock of that alone would occupy a compassionate wife a few months. One day she was happily married, completely in love and with the most sudden change of fortune, one month later she was happily married and completely in love again with another man? What qualities does it demonstrate that she can be thus quickly seduced out of love, and out of grief, then into love again, and into a new bed? Within a month! Ah, even the devious uncle can’t be given so much credit. It does not take the restraint of Mary to sleep alone for more than a month, I am sure.

But of course, one can always look to find a defence:

Her personality is reality based, dealing with ‘what is’. …Her utterances focus on the here and now. She notices and deals with all the sensory details of the present.
    I agree with you: no adultery, and no plotting murder, no sin except the Original Sin, just unawareness of future and past. Yes I see ‘what is’. I do. “ You think what now you speak”, is the ‘here and now’, right? ‘What is’ doesn’t need to keep a promise to a dead person: a dead person can’t make ‘what is’ happy, a dead person can’t feel disappointment or anger ‘here and now’, besides law and doctrine say it doesn’t have to. So ‘what is’ is ok. It is “that glib and oily art, to speak and purpose not”, because “purpose is but a slave to memory, of violent birth but poor validity”; and “memory” has no place in the ‘here and now’, has it? Thus ‘what is’ is ok. Devoid of human sentiment, of memory, even of logical deduction - since deduction surely requires a process - but ok none the less. I am not yet addressing Gertrude's particulars; but only pointing out the flaws of your argument.

If all remained as normal in the state of Denmark, and Claudius were never found out, and if he then died suddenly in an accident, and Gertrude again remarried and fell in love one month after that, and the process repeated itself again and again, one could again and again jump to her defence on the grounds of legality and unawareness, combined with the ‘here and now’. Flawless Gertrude, or ‘glib’ as one could interpret the word.

She is genuinely astonished when her beloved son assails her integrity.
    Gertrude’s honesty is never doubted. Not by Hamlet the father or the son. “I do believe you think what now you speak,” demonstrates the prince of this in his play; and treachery is pointed at Claudius alone in the Ghost’s accusations. No, “shameful lust”, bad moral judgement, and neglect of moral duties are the charges that Gertrude faces. Hamlet the King, as the son, thinks of love and the vow of marriage as going “hand in hand” with “dignity”. Their sense of duty, of son to father, of wife to husband, are strong also. And from that came their criticism of Gertrude, not dishonesty. Legally speaking, the dishonest intention is not a necessary prerequisite of all guilt. Negligence in Torts is the most obvious example. Somehow one, even the most honest of us all, has the duty to check our own action to make sure its moral.

Her personality is reality based, dealing with ‘what is’…. Although your character may be deemed flawed, your personality traits are at worst a handicap. Gertrude should not be blamed!
    How can a personality be solely based on the present, on ‘what is’ and nothing else? Character building must be a process of social construction and moral realisation, of introspective as well as outside influence. She’s not a cockroach, she has the power of deduction, of passion, as many instances in the play can show. What Gertrude is must in some way be the consequence of her emotional and moral past. How can one be unmoved, completely indifferent now and claim that yesterday she was truly in love? And how can one claim now that she is truly in love if she can tomorrow lose that love and feel nothing at all? She cannot. And the same would go to the sense of duty, the dignity of a promise, the sentiment of sharing a bed with another person; they mean something even if they no longer are or may not be in the future. Any person is responsible for his or her personal development, that of personality, morality, power of good judgement. Ability is potential, personality is effect: yes, Gertrude is to blame for the failings of her virtue; as a human, her ability would be qualification enough.

While Gertrude may well be ‘a bad mother’, you condemn half of motherhood! Her lack of intuition is a common enough personality trait. Much less common is a Hamlet, who seeks to understand, interpret and form overall patterns and relationships, and who, with imagination, speculates on possibilities, looking into and forecasting the future.
    Not half of the motherhood I know. Motherhood is essentially womanhood, with exceptions. Let’s say that most of the women we know are or have the potential to be a wife and mother. Are you saying that half of the women you know lack intuition, lack introspection, and have flawed personalities that can be considered a handicap? Or are you saying that half of them become that after turning into a mother? Not me. Such complete lack of intuition as you described is a rarity. And, as you rightly said, such a intuitive personality as Hamlet’s is also rare. There is a vast number that fills the gap. With so much space to work with, you can’t possibly defend Gertrude by saying that Hamlet is a rare case. Hamlet’s person is to Gertrude no justification.

Gertrude has much in her favour: she is likeable, responsive, courageous, ingenuous and loyal. Her open engagement with others ...(weakly implied in ‘she would hang on him’, ‘Sweet Gertrude’, ‘how cheerfully my mother looks’ and ‘man and wife is one flesh; and so, my mother’, as well as in the love of Old Hamlet and in Claudius’ enthusiasm for her before and after marriage) are dazzling.

There was no mention of her love for the old Hamlet except through the ghost and Hamlet himself. And the accusations of her flaws also come from those two sources, thus one cannot employ them.
    Apart from Gertrude herself, I would argue that the best source to verify Gertrude’s love for Hamlet the king is himself and their son. Indeed, Gertrude mentions very little about her love for Hamlet the father: you see, she loves someone else now and that would be inappropriate. So we can never know if Gertrude was in love or not but by speculation. That might defeat the ‘love’ argument, though there is also little to suggest that Gertrude was not in love with Hamlet the king. It does not, however, justify her other lacks.

The sources that you employed above in hope of proving Gertrude’s good qualities are from Hamlet too you know. You would use those sources to back an argument and refuse others the right to use it against that argument? I can’t accept that. I see that Hamlet the king and the prince may be subjective in their accusations, but many of those accusations are objectively valid, as argued during the course of this post. Besides, the things of Gertrude’s that ‘dazzle’ you, however good they are, are still no justification for her lacks, which I think are severe. I do not condemn her completely, I don't even agree with Hamlet's declaration "Frailty, thy name is woman" in its original context; I recognise Gertrude's qualities as well as her flaws. But I wouldn’t go so far as comparing her to the Virgin Mary.
    Remember the student interview story.

In my lovely flat with my lovely plants ^^
    Unknow_lady,
    Don't forget the many references to the gods of Greek Mythology such as Hercules, Hyperion, and I am sure there are more if you look carefully. The main theme which is revenge might find itself more comfortable in a mythical setting, as many other themes, again, if you look carefully.
    Remember the student interview story.

Quote Originally Posted by Regit
    Besides, the things of Gertrude’s that ‘dazzle’ you, however good they are, are still no justification for her lacks, which I think are severe.
    Yes, the ghost’s intimation of Gertrude’s ‘love for the Old Hamlet’ is questionable in so far as he flatters himself. In kowtowing to the ghost of his father, Hamlet deems his mother the guilty party, but relationships in marriage are knotty. He barely listens to his mother because reassessment of his relationship with his father might make revenge unthinkable. The men hold the reins in this world. We need not discount ‘the positive’ in what the ghost and Hamlet say of Gertrude, since they are hardly likely to flatter her. And understanding their bias, we are more wary of ‘the negative’.

At Elsinore, there is nothing but approval for Gertrude’s marriage to the newly elected king, apart from Hamlet and the ghost. Strangely, Hamlet is more upset about the remarriage of his mother than the murder of his father, and never finally decides to kill Claudius. Gertrude remarried at least a month after Old Hamlet’s death, assuming that Hamlet’s, "within a month…a little month" refers to the time between funeral and wedding. Remarrying soon after the death of a husband was less remarkable at a time when remarriage for peasants (and the spouse of a murdered king) ensured survival in a hard world. Were they all lacking in virtue?

Views on romantic love and respect for the dead vary widely even today and the play expresses several. Her husband having passed “through nature to eternity”, Gertrude shows virtue by living happily in the present, with fond memories. ‘Gertrude as a woman’ is superior, a tower of strength compared with her son, who, living in the past, seeks his “noble father in the dust”. Of course, I accept that Western culture has sympathy for him. This culture has fostered the sanctimonious virgin-whore dichotomy, the scriptural “Blessed are they that mourn”, romantic notions (‘truly in love’), and the idea of faithfulness to a departed spouse. I think Hamlet, an ambassador for the culture, fares poorly alongside sunny Gertrude.

Is Gertrude ‘devoid of human sentiment, of memory, even of logical deduction’ because she happily gets on with life without fuss? Must every widow palpably shoulder a notional sense of duty to a departed husband - ‘keep a promise to a dead person’ - a promise only ‘for as long as we both shall live’? Hamlet, the ghost, the Players, and some today are keen ‘to cast the first stone’. Bereaved Gertrude’s life is hers to live even though chauvinistic Hamlet and the ghost feel otherwise. Is a ghost virtuous? Glib moral judgments abound.

How can a personality be solely based on the present’? By ‘personality’, I mean the mode in which one prefers, and so is accustomed, to operate (science tells us two thirds of personality is determined genetically or in infancy). Gertrude prefers to live and let live rather than to mull over the past, to fret or introspect like deep Hamlet. A significant fraction of mankind (male and female) grows up using little intuition and introspection, if we are to believe personality-tests (such as the Myer-Briggs). Is there room here for blame?

I did not suggest that such women ‘have flawed personalities that can be considered a handicap’; rather that each sees the world differently. And in the ‘religious drama’ of the play, carping Hamlet would do well to ‘first cast out the beam out of [his] own eye’. It seems passing strange to decry Gertrude, whose only sin might be a nebulous lack of respect or reverence toward a dead husband. Aren’t the ongoing and heinous crimes of her accuser, the murderer Hamlet, sufficiently distracting?

In an intentional community/organic farm on the border of Holland in Germany by the Rijn River.
    Hello,
    I would like to enter at this point as a new member. I am a lover of Shakespeare and especially his play, Hamlet.

"The main theme which is revenge might find itself more comfortable in a mythical setting, as many other themes, again, if you look carefully."

This comment is what interests me the most. The assumption that the theme is revenge is what I disagree with. I am baffled why more people don't see the theme that seems so obvious to me: The existential dilemma that the play poses which each human being must face usually by early adulthood, that is, the discovery that the government in which you live under is corrupt, as corrupt as Denmark, and then what do you do or not do about it? Its a bit like discovering that there is no Santa Clause only for adults.

I would be curious to know if there is any agreement or not with this idea. To me, Hamlet is not neurotic in the least, but symbolic of the highest aspects of man. He is a prince among men. And his behavior is of a noble order, logical, brave, and intelligent, at the same time intensely human.

Warmly,
    Mofwoofoo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast