Thread: A Passage to India-Adela Quested

A Passage to India-Adela Quested

After re-reading E.M.Forster's novel, I started contemplating a lot on Adela's character.

I greatly admire her comments dismissing racism and feelings of superiority over the conquered Indians, dismissing the vanity of the other English women, and the attitude of Ronny.

On the other hand, her desicion to accuse Dr. Aziz-even if she withdrew the case, eventually-,is certainly confusing. Do you believe that it was simply because of the famous Echo effect of the Caves, or there could be other motives, like an archetypal fear of the unknown people and an unknown culture? It seems that these "terrors" keep coming back, unfortunately, no matter how educated and free-spirited someone may be.

I would be very interested to read your opinions on the matter.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

Blog Entries
    I think that there were a mix of things going on with the famous cave incident. I was not very happy with her when she did start that whole thing, but I do not think she did it with the intent of being malicious, and I think she did convince herself that she really was telling the truth after it occurred. I do believe that her accusation was largely driven by fear, and I have even speculated that perhaps the "guide" really was responsible for the incident, but I am not completely sold on that idea. I do think that her doubts about Ronnie played a role as well. It was when she was at the caves that she was contemplating her love for him and her agreement to marry him, and she felt trapped at that point in the marriage, because she felt she could not go back on the engagement a second time, and she could not think of any real reason not to marry him, but she began to wonder if she could marry a man she did not love. The incident in the caves gave her the out from marrying Ronnie. Though I do not think she consciously did it for those reasons, I think that somehow that did play a role in the event.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I agree that it was not ONLY the echo-effect onAdela to accuse Dr.Aziz.You r right that unforseen fear may be there ,since there was not any male member except Aziz at that time.
    *Her inner conflict of consciousness-about marrige with Ronny ,when she does not love him AND secondly he believes in Racism & thinks English as superior to Indians...
    *Aziz ,we see,is not very happy with these ladies bcoz of this reason or that,This may be one reason for Adela according to the theory "There is a way to hearts" -Though Aziz & Adela both hate racism .Yet I think Adela has not expressed her such views .... i may be wrong at some points ......
    I will be happy to know how you took my views - Rupal

Blog Entries
    That is an interesting point, in the way in which that they do both share that hatred of racism, but Adele does not feel as if she can openly express it because of Ronny, and she is aware that Aziz disapproves of her because she does not feel as if she is able to express to him just how she truly feels. She is oppressed in thoughts and opinions by Ronny, and within the caves, surrounded by complete darkness, she feels the repression as a physical force upon her. Her inner doubts are manifested and she becomes confused and disoriented.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

carrying further this discussion,......I want to bring all my friends that statement of Adela,when she asks Aziz,"Are you married?" I think that possibility of marrige with him might have come in the mind of Adela-though for just one moment-But now the ques arises that how it turned in accusation on Aziz.......Think & write....

Blog Entries
    It has been a while now since I have read the book, but I to recall Adele having a conversation with him about marriage. It is possible, in the way in which the darkness of a cave can disorient someone's since of direction, perhaps between Ronny and Aziz she became disoriented with her fears and doubts about marriage and not knowing what she truly wanted.

Oh I have not read text book.But in its summary it is written as :::
    She suddenly asks Aziz,"Have you one wife or more than one?"Aziz is shocked to hear such a strange question .He murmurs,"One,one in my own particular case"Saying this Aziz rushes out of the cave.thinking ,"dawn the English even at their best"........ asks Aziz,"Have you one wife or more than one?"Aziz is shocked to hear such a strange question .He murmurs,"One,one in my own particular case"Saying this Aziz rushes out of the cave.thinking ,"dawn the English even at their best"........
    Previously I wrongly quoted "Are you married" as Adela's asking ........
    Anyhow I will be happy to know the exact words,meaning & your opinions upon them