Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should guns be legal?

Blog Entries

Exclamation Should guns be legal?

And accessible to the public as well?

Protection or annihilation?

What do you think?
    Shall these bones live?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bakiryu View Post
    And accessible to the public as well?

Protection or annihilation?

What do you think?
    Guns should be legal. Take a look at Switzerland. It successfully remained out of both world wars because everyone was too afraid to attack them as almost every household has a gun and is part of the militia. Also look at Switzerland's crime rate. it is one of the lowest in the world. If everyone in the US was required to carry a gun than anyone who attempted a shooting would not stand a chance. Take the mindset of the criminal would you be willing to walk into that store and rob them if everyone was carrying an automatic? And you know they now how to use them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mosimo View Post
    Guns should be legal. Take a look at Switzerland. It successfully remained out of both world wars because everyone was too afraid to attack them as almost every household has a gun and is part of the militia. Also look at Switzerland's crime rate. it is one of the lowest in the world. If everyone in the US was required to carry a gun than anyone who attempted a shooting would not stand a chance. Take the mindset of the criminal would you be willing to walk into that store and rob them if everyone was carrying an automatic? And you know they now how to use them.
    Yes but then you end up with a bunch of dead people. If there were no guns, then we couldn't kill people so anonymously. Of course there's two different things here, one is a store robbery and the other is possible invasion of another country, and of course illegal and non-existent are different things.

I transcend the common notions of space. When I'm sleeping.
    Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiI View Post
    of course illegal and non-existent are different things.
    That's what it comes down to. We're never going to eliminate the threat of guns in the hands of other people(at least not in the lifetim of anyone who's alive today), so it's best to be on the safe side. Then, there's always the threat of an oppressive government. Especially in larger, more corrupt countries. Also, I though that the reason nobody attacked switzerland in WWII was because that's where the world bank was?

you forget that a criminal usually does not get his gun through legal means. Therefore if guns are not legal it will be the armed criminal against a lot of unarmed victims. Also criminals usually are afraid of you just as much as you are afraid of them.

Would not Germany have attacked Switzerland on purpose for the world bank because they were not the richest of countries in and of themselves? There had to be another reason.
    Last edited by mosimo; 09-28-2007 at 05:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that's a very good point, mosimo...I don't see how you can refute it.

Blog Entries
    There's nothing I can say about guns being legal that isn't a hot political topic in the US.
    "All we are saying is give PEACE a chance." Beatles[/SIZE]
    Granny5's Blog
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...p?userid=35805

you must hang out with the wrong crowds legalization of gun is a very HOT topic.

Just not usually in literature networks.

Blog Entries
    The two sides are so extream. I've heard NRA officals say that it worth small children being killed by stray bullets to keep guns legal and to keep from having to license a gun. I've also heard anti-gun folks say that ALL guns, handguns, hunting rifles, etc. should be banned. Neither side will give an inch. Both sides are like little children.
    Granny5's Blog

I am one of those anti-gun folks. Personally, I can't see what guns have to offer. Protection may come through other means, I don't know, it just doesn't seem right to me.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

What about Black powder. I mean it takes about five minutes just to load it.

And for me the lives of children is worth more than my gun.

Also the Government should require licensing but not to ban them.
    Last edited by mosimo; 09-28-2007 at 05:57 PM.

If you are going to make them illegal then you might as well make bows and BB guns illegal too.

Blog Entries
    Hunters, and there are a lot of them in my area, should be able to own registered gun, IMHO. If someone feels the need for self protection, then there should be training classes and licenses. But, according to the NRA, everyone should be able to own any type of handgun or long gun, including assult rifles without a license. It's crazy as far as I'm concerned.
    Granny5's Blog

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amalia1985 View Post
    I am one of those anti-gun folks. Personally, I can't see what guns have to offer. Protection may come through other means, I don't know, it just doesn't seem right to me.
    I totally agree and I think it would be better were there no guns. But mosimo had a good point that if you make them illegal, then it's the armed criminals versus the unarmed non-criminals. And I think the government shouldn't have guns either. I don't see how to argue against mosimo's argument, though.

And oni, I dunno about that, my history's not that good, but that seems right, too.

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiI View Post
    I totally agree and I think it would be better were there no guns. But mosimo had a good point that if you make them illegal, then it's the armed criminals versus the unarmed non-criminals. And I think the government shouldn't have guns either. I don't see how to argue against mosimo's argument, though.

And oni, I dunno about that, my history's not that good, but that seems right, too.

You made an excellent comment, Nikolail. I think, more and more, that it's a vile circle, leading nowhere. That's why I said there is no black or white. Both sides have equally adequate facts to base their opinions on.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast