of approval on my passport, the one with
    the really cute picture followed by three
    years of accomplishments that I have tried
    to renew every ten years or so, and so, how
    has life been treating you, how did you
    celebrate midterms, or is that midlife, oh,
    it's all the same, isn't it? Now, let's see,
    what was that old combination, two to the
    right, one past zero, one step forward...

amp, September TwentyFourth, TwoThousandSeven after reading Three's poem, The Fall
    I'm in love with The Vinegar Man and Mr. Tanner, but be careful, it could just as easily be you.

"If you're going to write you better have somewhere to come from." Flannery O'Connor

A wonderful remembrance of those years and how we continue on. Thanks, Amp.

Flying against the wind CdnReader's Avatar
    Great memories here, Amp. But I would *never* go back! LOL!

"Courage is not the absence of fear but the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -- Ambrose Redmoon

CR: Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert
    JF: Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen. My review is here.

Blog Entries
    I have never gone to a school reunion for the reason this poem puts forward. It stirred up a mix of emotions in me and most of them were sad. I'm not sorry I haven't gone. You captured something pitiful and made it sound almost sweet and unassuming when I think it really is a monster under the bed. You know I love your poetry. I wonder if your voice sounds as clean and high as it does in my mind-

Quote Originally Posted by CdnReader View Post
    Great memories here, Amp. But I would *never* go back! LOL!

I spent 4 years of HS in 4 different schools, one where no one spoke English, no one!

On the way there aboard the U.S. Independence I fell in love for the first time. I lived across the street from the Prado museum and spent as much time there as I could. In school I spent half my time escaping and riding the subways all over Madrid by myself at 15 and eating calamari sandwiches and drinking very good beer, which together cost about 5 cents USD and, MMMMM, Calamares en su tinta. A delicious deep purple soup, my favorite discovery -Squids cooked in their ink. That I would go back to!

In the American schools I spent half the time in the principal's office and was expelled three times from 3 different schools. Hmmm, I wouldn't go back there either, Cdn.

Flying against the wind CdnReader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by firefangled View Post
    I lived across the street from the Prado museum and spent as much time there as I could. In school I spent half my time escaping and riding the subways all over Madrid by myself at 15 and eating calamari sandwiches and drinking very good beer, which together cost about 5 cents USD and, MMMMM, Calamares en su tinta. A delicious deep purple soup, my favorite discovery -Squids cooked in their ink. That I would go back to!
    I love Madrid, and I love the Prado -- best European art gallery that I've been to. Loved the ambience and the late-night restaurants and the wine and ADORED tapas!! Didn't try the squid though. Never been fussy on eating something that feels and tastes like rubber bands. LOL!

In the American schools I spent half the time in the principal's office and was expelled three times from 3 different schools. Hmmm, I wouldn't go back there either, Cdn.
    LOL! This sounds so much like what I went through as a parent! But my eldest son turned out okay too.

"Courage is not the absence of fear but the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -- Ambrose Redmoon

CR: Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert
    JF: Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen. My review is here.

From the mountains to the prairies to the oceans white with foam
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by motherhubbard View Post
    I have never gone to a school reunion for the reason this poem puts forward. It stirred up a mix of emotions in me and most of them were sad. I'm not sorry I haven't gone. You captured something pitiful and made it sound almost sweet and unassuming when I think it really is a monster under the bed. You know I love your poetry. I wonder if your voice sounds as clean and high as it does in my mind-
    Thank you MH. I believe my speaking voice sounds rather chocolate. As a singer, I sing soprano and I am told it is very clear. It's too bad they don't have a feature here where we can occasionally read one of our poems for others to listen to. I would love to hear all of your voices.

As for the poem, in many ways it is about those individual reunions, with ourselves.
    I'm in love with The Vinegar Man and Mr. Tanner, but be careful, it could just as easily be you.

"If you're going to write you better have somewhere to come from." Flannery O'Connor

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

Good poem. No reunions for me. Not again, anyway.
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ampoule View Post
    As for the poem, in many ways it is about those individual reunions, with ourselves.
    I had not considered that and now I'll have to read the poem again and enjoy it even more