Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Mr. Rochester Fans?

Question Any Mr. Rochester Fans?

I've read posts on a few different forums, and there was a large number of people who stated that they disliked Mr. Rochester. I happen to like him, but he really doesn't seem to have many fans. Is there anyone else here who likes him?

Blog Entries
    I like him

Yay! Mr. R needs more love!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicLitChick View Post
    I've read posts on a few different forums, and there was a large number of people who stated that they disliked Mr. Rochester. I happen to like him, but he really doesn't seem to have many fans. Is there anyone else here who likes him?
    I like him.
    I think he gets a lot of grief concerning his treatment of Bertha.
    If we better understood the times they lived in, we would realize that his solution of caring for her in his home was actually the most compassionate choice he could have made.

He is a bit of a scoundrel for trying to justify polygamy. but other than that he's an extremely pathetic character and I definitely have a lot of compassion for his situation.

There's one particular film version where he is especially passionate and poetic and philosophical and romantic. I couldn't help but love him then.

All in all, it's a great love story.

Quote Originally Posted by sciencefan View Post
    I like him.
    I think he gets a lot of grief concerning his treatment of Bertha.
    If we better understood the times they lived in, we would realize that his solution of caring for her in his home was actually the most compassionate choice he could have made.

He is a bit of a scoundrel for trying to justify polygamy. but other than that he's an extremely pathetic character and I definitely have a lot of compassion for his situation.

There's one particular film version where he is especially passionate and poetic and philosophical and romantic. I couldn't help but love him then.

All in all, it's a great love story.
    I completely agree with everything that you said. I was actually going to write something along those lines!! That there is someone else in the world that feels exactly like I do about this man, makes me feel better!

I love him! The exact way that I would describe him has already been done with sciencefan's post. These are the reasons for why I like him. People tend to think I am crazy for it because of his wife, but I, too, feel that he did the best that he thought he could do to take care of her.

I always felt he was wrong for deceiving Jane, but at the same time I felt that he did what he did because he wanted her so much. He knew he wouldn't have her so long as his wife was still around. Is that wrong to go about getting her the way that he tried to? Of course. At the same time, that helps to make this already clearly unhappy man that much more pitiful to me.

Well, that is my feelings towards him.

Yay, there are others here who actually like/love him! I'm glad it's not just me having bad taste in men or something. *clings to Mr. Rochester* I <3 him

I agree that he does do some pretty despicable things, but he's human (well, actually he's a fictional character, but let's not get technical *wink*). Humans are flawed and make mistakes; Mr. Rochester is no exception.
    Last edited by ClassicLitChick; 09-23-2007 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicLitChick View Post
    Yay, there are others here who actually like/love him! I'm glad it's not just me having bad taste in men or something. *clings to Mr. Rochester* I <3 him

I agree that he does do some pretty despicable things, but he's human (well, actually he's a fictional character, but let's not get technical *wink*). Humans are flawed and make mistakes; Mr. Rochester is no exception.
    Ha! I like your way of thinking!

I plan on buying this shirt that says "Rochester > Darcy". I love it!! Though I have to admit to having a thing for Darcy, too, but he is NOT Mr. Rochester!!

Red face

Are you kidding!!?? I'm in awe of him and in love with him. How can you not be in love with a guy who sings a beautiful song to his beloved, as well as speak French (the most romantic language out there) True, he has his faults (his treatment of Adele, his moodiness, etc) but there is so much greatness, goodness, and passion within him that I cannot see why anyone could not like him, at the least.
    Last edited by enya; 09-24-2007 at 01:33 AM.

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    hey girls, I love him, too.
    what shirt is this you mentioned Lady Wentworth?

Blog Entries
    He is one of my favorite characters in fiction. The scene right before he proposes to Jane where he speaks of a thread [or bond?] twixt the two of them if she goes off to Ireland, and he says that if it breaks he will take to bleeding internally just broke my heart.

A lovely man who did the best with what he had dealt him in life.

OK. I tried to post and it completely disappeared on me! So, I will try again.

Anyway, there is the scene where Jane asks him about why he went through the trouble to convince her that he loved Blanche. With part of his reply I was completely taken by him.

"I wished to render you as madly in love with me as I was with you"

Tell me that isn't great!

I was 13 when I first read this novel. I love it just as much now as I did then, if not more.

I just remember thinking that I was more than willing to be a penniless, plain, waif, orphan who worked as a 19th century governess in a strange huge home. I just wanted to have this brilliant man. I was more than willing to look past his mad wife that was locked in the attic! I am so crazy!

Mr. Rochester is perfect character. I admire his nobleness, magnanimity and charm. And of course his voice. I love him.

What's in a name......
    hey, i just love Mr. R. .
    His wit and the way he talks to Jane is awesome, specially in the beginning when people never understand what they are talking about. How passionately he loves Jane!!! I am surprised everybody doesn't like him.
    By far , he is in my list of the best fictional heroes.
    Existence is not only temporary, it is pointless.

Two plus two is CHICKEN!! Weisinheimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mr. Rochester is great. I love his personality. His sarcastic humor, his passion, even his moodiness. I think there's just so much to him.
    hmm, all this talk makes me want to reread Jane Eyre (again).
    Calvin: You can’t just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

Hobbes: What mood is that?

Calvin: Last-minute panic.

I don't see anything in Mr. R except for his sharp tongue which is full of poetic-like words that he throws on Jane whenever he meets her. However, his coldness ( which I feel throughout the novel) really irritates me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast