Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Literature

American Literature

1. I'm in a high school, and I'm in American Literature. I was curious about one thing: Why is some U.S. History involving in American Literature? Was there a lot of literature people in U.S. History? Maybe this is the reason, but I want a little more tips.
    2. I have one more question. I'm planning to get at least C- in my American Literature class. Can anyone give me good hints or techniques? I really, really want to pass the class, so that I can get all English credits that are required.

Thanks,

J.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    People often write about things that go on around them, and that includes things that are also written about as non-fiction history. Yes, there have been and still many literary people in America. Try reading a lo, if you want to pass the American Literature course.

Quote Originally Posted by JWHooper View Post
    2. I have one more question. I'm planning to get at least C- in my American Literature class. Can anyone give me good hints or techniques? I really, really want to pass the class, so that I can get all English credits that are required.

Thanks,

J.
    Talk to your teacher and tell him/her that you want to get a good grade. Ask for help when you are having trouble or don't understand something. Always to the reading, and participate in class discussion even if you feel you barely have anything to contribute.

Good luck!
    "I have so often dreamed of you that you become unreal." ~ Robert Desnos

Of course history and literature would inevitably intertwine every now and then. American literature is an essential part of American history. Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn, John Dos Passos' U.S.A. Trilogy, John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath and Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man are all examples of American literature that is a reflection of, or a reaction to, various political, social and economical factors of the times in which they were written.

Toni Morrison's beloved is another good example.

Need Help With Writing

I have feeling that I'll do a lot of writing in my American Literature course, and U.S. History. I already know some writing skills, like
    1. Prewrite.
    2. Have introduction, then at least 3 paragraphs, and conclusion.
    3. Revise and Edit.
    4. Final Draft.

For number 3. part (Revise and Edit), I know that there are spelling, grammar, capitalizing your letters, and use paragraphs correctly. I think that's pretty much it. If there are any more helpful suggestions out there, please let me know.

Thanks,

J.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have feeling that I'll do a lot of writing in my American Literature course, and U.S. History. I already know some writing skills, like
    1. Prewrite.
    2. Have introduction, then at least 3 paragraphs, and conclusion.
    3. Revise and Edit.
    4. Final Draft.

For number 3. part (Revise and Edit), I know that there are spelling, grammar, capitalizing your letters, and use paragraphs correctly. I think that's pretty much it. If there are any more helpful suggestions out there, please let me know.

Thanks,

J.
    Be sure to pay close attention to the use of proper punctuation. I know that I'm really bad for using too many commas. My advice, if you have a teacher who will do it, is to have an english teacher look over your papers. We had a teacher who was always on staff in the library for looking papers over, and they were a huge help in showing you problem areas.

1. I'm in a high school, and I'm in American Literature. I was curious about one thing: Why is some U.S. History involving in American Literature? Was there a lot of literature people in U.S. History? Maybe this is the reason, but I want a little more tips.

Thanks,

J.
    History and literature are interdisciplinary subjects indeed. History is an account of human actions in the past and literature is too something that is mostly written about things happened at a particular epoch. In that sense there is a great similarity, yet there are striking differences between the two of course. The most striking difference is while history is rooted in facts mostly despite that we know truths are at times modified and facts fictionalized.

We have some dramas based on historical truths.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    I always thought that once a writer has a topic that he or she cares about, the rest is relatively easy. Make sure that the topic you're writing about isn't too large or too small. Get it down to a manageable size.

The pre-launch or pre-writing helps you organize your thoughts. Write down the topic.
    If it's going to be three paragraphs, write headings for Introduction, Body, and Conclusion. Under each of these subtopics, make little "clusters" in which you can jot down all the details for
    each.
    In the introduction, state what the topic is, along with what
    you are trying to prove or show.
    The body of the composition will be the longest of the three
    in which the sentences will contain the details demonstrating what you are trying to prove or argue.
    The conclusion sums up the piece but it doesn't merely repeat the introduction. This is your Big Finish.

But you're not really finished. Go back and proofread, check for grammar and spelling. But the most important thing is asking yourself: HAVE I SAID WHAT I WANTED TO SAY? Put yourself in the reader's place.

Rewrite the sentences that need more clarity. Get rid of cliches and needless repetition.

Read it over again.
    Repeat the process as necessary.

You probably realize now that writing is not a open/shut
    task but a process.

Novelist
    If you have time to really edit your papers, I recommend this rule:

Always end with less words than you started with.

You shouldn't be adding words when you edit, and a minimalist style is really the way to go these days. It forces you to actually SAY more with less words, thus adding content to your writing - and in essay style, this is very important. You can still have lush metaphors, but take out those extra "thats" and all those commas.

It's your duty as a writer to try and get your point across as clearly as possible. This is not to say that you can't say deep or important things - but the way you say it should be clear, even if the topic is confusing.

Analyse the essays title

Find your references which provide proof of argument

Opening paragraph describing how you are going to argue about what the essay title describes, roughly giving order of the main points.

Write one idea/reference per paragraph, each paragraph leading into the next smoothly.

Conclude with reiteration of how you argued your essay title.

Print it out on paper, revise and edit, rewrite if necessary. I'm not one for drafts really so can't advise you there. My "drafts" are hardcopy I go over and find mistakes in I didn't see on my screen (mental block!)
    Light Travels Faster Than Sound, Which Is Why Some People Appear Bright Until You Hear Them Speak.

American Lit.

From last week, my literature class was discussing about Romantism and Realism. I kinda know that Romantism is an possibility, but at the same time, it's not too realistic. For Realism, I know that this is an realistic possiblility. I need to know better definition of those two terms (please give me the definitions in high school level).

Thanks,

J.

I need to know these defnitions by tomorrow, so if anyone can help me out soon, it'll be great.

Thanks,

J.

I smiled.

Why are people posting here hoping that others will do their homeworks? Are they really serious?

"For romanticism it's not to realist, and for realism it's a realistic possibility"

That also made me smile... but in an ironical and condescending way...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast