Thread: Truth and writers

Truth and writers

Seeking truth is all we aspire to no matter which disciplines of learning we take to, science or art or philosophy.

More than any professionals or disciplinarians writers are more engagingly devoted to this, the search for truth. Whether they are engaging themselves in exploring things through tracks of science or wallowing in spirituality all seek for truth. Truth is something which is never achievable, for there are levels or layers of truth. Once we reach one layer, another surfaces and this goes endlessly and infinitely.

I read Tolstoy and he was so obsessed with truth. He wrote the masterpiece war and peace that tries to explore into the domain of truth, and later on he took on nonfictional essays wherein he was so obsessed with the question of truth.

Writers or philosophers from Dante to Russel and the rest of all were so occupied by it that they are mirrors in which we see fragments of truths. We cannot see all truths in any treatises.

Everyone, every human, we do not about animals wonders at himself and at the creation he sees. hardly any one lives on earth who does not want to know about the mystery of death.

Writers in a way nearer to the domain of truth than any other professionals, for literature and philosophies give refinements or subtleties.

Wherein do we find writers are different than the rest? Writing is a tradition and evolution, and every succeeding writer is more refined and subtle in his or her expression. Now if anyone takes to the course of philosophy he crams everything starting from Plato through Nietzsche to Russel, to postmodern philosophers. Unquestionably his ideas will be deeper and more logical and scientific than his predecessors. I never mean he succeeds in excelling them and no but in general he does not tend to repeat the flaws his predecessors have committed

To arrive at truth we read the Bible, the Gita, the Koran, the Dhammaopada and the rest of sacred stuff. That validates the point that writers are more sublimes beings and they see subtler truths and sail across domains generally not visualized or seen by doctrinaire.

Writing is really a challenging thing and to do one has to master himself in putting ideas equipping himself with logics and must develop the art of expression.

Writers who can give philosophical quotients in his writings are really immortal than those who are simply swept by the gush of imagination. If imagination is combined with philosophy the piece of writing at his disposal will be impeccable.

Writing is really a big challenge, for through writings alone people can go across or share ideas with millions at the same time in this age of developed print medias and electronic medias.

For instance I am enabled to share my ideas across people of different worlds and across different ages and genres of interests.

That there is no question that my domains of knowledge can expand through literature is a fact.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Resonance/Beauty. Mesalithasamut's Avatar
    I do not agree that everyone is astonished by human existence; I would agree that the intellectually curious are intrigued by it, however. I say that because many people are too infatuated with something to appreciate the coincidence that life seems to be. Well, we all choose what we are blinded by: some choose religion; some choose materialism; some choose sports, politics, science, art or philosophy. We all choose something. And I believe whichever veil we choose is the veil which hides the truth.
    Honor and shame from no condition rise, act well your part there all the honor lies. - Alexander Pope.

Demist your mind-screen to see truth

That we are nature or an extract from nature is something we have yet to realize. Nature is an effluxion and things do not remain the same. We human beings along with millions of other bigger or other beings, earthlings, all the rest move with the wheel of time endlessly and we are simply results of natural processes.
    When we unwrap truth we understand how we are so close to or part of nature.
    Through science and literature we can understand our connection, but we can see truth more distinctly and manifestly through a prism of mystic philosophy. Or through mystic literature we can see truth in a spectrum of manifestioans.

I quote a small Zen story which is rich both from mystical and literary perspectives.

Going with the Flow

A Taoist story tells of an old man who accidentally fell into the river rapids leading to a high and dangerous waterfall. Onlookers feared for his life. Miraculously, he came out alive and unharmed downstream at the bottom of the falls. People asked him how he managed to survive. "I accommodated myself to the water, not the water to me. Without thinking, I allowed myself to be shaped by it. Plunging into the swirl, I came out with the swirl. This is how I survived."

Herein we see a mystic who realizes he is nature or that there is no duality between him and nature. He does not fear water for he is water and even scientifically he is more water in essence than any other thing.
    Then there is no question that water destroys water. Or nature is set against nature.
    We are from nature and death is going returninjg where we came from. This sanctions the fact that death is nothing fear.

Truth is no something to seek for. It is already there and the problem is with our ken or sight. De-mist it you see it in full manifestation.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Unregistered User
    I have to strongly disagree with the idea that truth is "all we aspire to." It can be observed that everyone aspires to be happy, yet only a few people aspire to obtain truth. And generally I have found that those who most strongly aspire to obtain truth are some of the comparatively least happy in life (Tolstoy for example). I also have seen a vast number of humans not give a crap, to be quite frank, about their creation or their death. Either they've been intellectually turned off, never possessed the intellectual faculties to begin with, or they have more immediate matters to worry about. Take, for example, starving children in Africa. Food is a more immediate concern than anything related to philosophy. You praise truth, as most academics do, and place it too highly. We only seek truth to aid in our quest for the Good. It is only a tool and nothing more.

Thanks for putting that Taoist story up, also. It really speaks to me. We are all traveling on that river; we cannot see what's past the waterfall, and that naturally scares those with "vision."

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh well this should turn into a healthy debate I shall enjoy reading as it progresses. Nice to see you too. I seek happiness before "someone else's truth", because if you think about it.. all religions and other belief systems are nothing more than another mans truth which they want us to believe so they can stand above us.
    Last edited by dizzydoll; 05-24-2010 at 02:02 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blazeofglory View Post

Writers who can give philosophical quotients in his writings are really immortal than those who are simply swept by the gush of imagination. If imagination is combined with philosophy the piece of writing at his disposal will be impeccable.

Writing is really a big challenge, for through writings alone people can go across or share ideas with millions at the same time in this age of developed print medias and electronic medias.
    Although Blaze, who said this?

Imagination
    is more
    important
    than
    knowledge

Yup you go to google too find the answer if you dont already know. lol.

But on a more serious note, you are correct in your post from the point of view that the Truth [perceived, of course] is one of the things that comforts man. So we all need some form of truth, even if its not the most important issue to focus on. And writers bring their truth [researched, naturally] to us, then we decide whether it fits us or not.

For the first time, in my life in the autumn of my learning, I'm finding out what its like to "be in my head", as Echardt Tolle would expresses himself. Reading, learning to write, some poems, learning from others.. all that, it is challenging but I'm also fully aware that I should'nt believe everything that I read. Other than that, the jury is still out.
    Last edited by dizzydoll; 05-25-2010 at 06:24 AM.

Hi folks ...good topic. I can only speak of my truth.

For many years I was confused, I couldn't be comfortable with myself, I was always searching for other peoples truths, until one day I found myself ...warts and all...good qualities and bad.

I don't need to tell you it was quite a shock but a relief just the same. What brought me to that point was a multiple of experiences. I followed many teachings but one by one they fell away until I was left with myself. It was like I slapped my own face and woke up...you could call it a satori...a sudden awaking at the end of a long journey.

Don't need The Slapping Lady anymore ...I've leaned to duck....we just chat now by the babbling brook......sounds like Zen to me.