Thread: Ecclesiastes

fated loafer

Ecclesiastes

I just finished reading Ecclesiastes in the bible and there were two comments that stood out and puzzled me,

"For when a face is sad a heart may be happy" ch 7:3

"For wisdom is protection just as money is protection" ch 7:12

I am wondering what wisdom is protection from, a barrier agianst what? And what does it mean that a sad face can mean a heart is happy. The only thing that makes me think of is a person that is either lying to themselves or they are decieving others, why have a sad face when you are happy, why not show it?

Sorry I can't find the bible now, so I can't find out which version it is, sorry it must be in here somewhere. I shall never give up!
    Last edited by simon; 06-18-2004 at 03:27 AM.

Which version of the Bible were you reading? I'm familiar with the quotes, but it would be helpful to have the chapter:verse citations to put them in context. (As many/most people know, interpreting Bible verses out of context can be like playing with fire when they're taken seriously.) More likely than not the answer to "what is wisdom protection from" is somewhere in the preceeding text. As for "sad," if I remember correctly it's just talking about being a Good Solemn Christian, not about mourning. It's in reference to a preceeding command to not rub your good fortune or joy of faith in other people's faces; you can still be inwardly happy, but be solemn at the same time.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

fated loafer
    Okay solemn makes more sense than sad, don't be arrogant about your wealth basically?

Yeah, pretty much. If I'm thinking of the right chapter.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Blog Entries
    A "sad face" can be a happy heart because sorrow and happiness are not opposites. Also considering solemnity as someone mentioned, one's heart can be very happy, and not choose to show it out of peacefulness to others.