Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

Any other fans of this book? I’m nearing the end of it and have loved it, very funny. Also watching the TV series on You Tube.

I don’t know what to try next, one or his other books or something else along these lines? Anyone read one of his other books?

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    I love his books!

Definitely keep reading them in order, as they progress chronologically (they're autobiographical, after all).

I used to watch the tv series with my mother when I was a kid. They were highly influential in my deciding I wanted to be a vet
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Oh wow, great stuff. I'll order the second one then I think.

Blog Entries
    Definitely worth it

There simply aren't other books in this subject area that touch his style, in my opinion. Either you have stories written by vets that lack Herriot's wonderful narration, or you have cute animal stories that lack the grime only a real vet can understand. There really isn't anything else like them.

Random side note: one of my undergrad professors reminded me of James Herriot. He was from the north of England and farmed sheep when he was younger. One day he said to me "You ought to be a sheep farmer you know. You've got tiny hands that will fit right in there." Referring to a sheep's uterus. If you've read the chapters on lambing season, that will make sense. If not, I'll look like a nut.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I remember watching the TV series as a teen and loving them. Didn't even realise that they were based on a book. Maybe I will add his books to the everlasting "to-be-read" list.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I can second (or third, or however many we're up to) the series. All four books are very entertaining and funny.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

I've just ordered the second book which is 'All Things Bright and Beautiful.'

I love Herriot's books!

Neely, have you read Gerald Durrell? If not you can try them after you've finished Herriot. Just as well written and entertaining, and about animals.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Herriot's great. You can certainly read them in order, but the first one is really the only one with a narrative arc, which doesn't make the others any less delightful, though.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

I'll put my $-02 worth in as well - keep reading!

Well worth it, and they don't get any less enjoyable.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Classic*Charm* View Post
    Definitely worth it

There simply aren't other books in this subject area that touch his style, in my opinion. Either you have stories written by vets that lack Herriot's wonderful narration, or you have cute animal stories that lack the grime only a real vet can understand. There really isn't anything else like them.

Random side note: one of my undergrad professors reminded me of James Herriot. He was from the north of England and farmed sheep when he was younger. One day he said to me "You ought to be a sheep farmer you know. You've got tiny hands that will fit right in there." Referring to a sheep's uterus. If you've read the chapters on lambing season, that will make sense. If not, I'll look like a nut.

Having spent most of April with my hand up one sheep or another, it makes perfect sense.
    ay up

I think you're a teacher, Neely? In which case, you may enjoy Gervais Phinn's books - I think Over Hill, Over Dale is the first title but they can be read in any order. Phinn was a Primary Schools' Inspector in Yorkshire (pre-Ofsted, the Good Old Days). He writes much in the vein of Herriot and any teacher will recognise the situations he describes. It's not Literature with a capital L but it's entertaining.

I second Mona Amon's suggestion of Gerald Durrell - My Family and Other Animals still makes me weak with laughter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    Having spent most of April with my hand up one sheep or another, it makes perfect sense.
    Must have been a rough season, with the weather you've been having!

Quote Originally Posted by kasie View Post
    I think you're a teacher, Neely? In which case, you may enjoy Gervais Phinn's books - I think Over Hill, Over Dale is the first title but they can be read in any order. Phinn was a Primary Schools' Inspector in Yorkshire (pre-Ofsted, the Good Old Days). He writes much in the vein of Herriot and any teacher will recognise the situations he describes. It's not Literature with a capital L but it's entertaining.

I second Mona Amon's suggestion of Gerald Durrell - My Family and Other Animals still makes me weak with laughter.
    Thanks. Yes I've come across the name Gervais Phinn I know what you mean, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look at Gerald Durrell as well.

Read them all in order. They're all good.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast