Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Your Phobias

I hate filing in forms so much that I actually dread the process.

I have lived an awkward, non-standard life; almost nothing about me fits into the neat little boxes that pepper these things. You would think that it's impossible to get the wrong answer on a job-application or a contents insurance form, but in my case, almost every box is ambiguous. I go into a stupid, illogical panic that I might misconstrue the question and somehow invalidate the whole thing; leading to my getting the job but being sacked a week later for falsifying the application, or having a valid insurance claim disallowed on some silly technicality.

This might sound like a daft thing to be scared of, and it is, but I can't help it. Fears tend to be an overreaction that makes the thought of the thing feared grow far worse than it's reality - this case is no exception.

So now you know how to terrify me, bombard me with small, white boxes that are far too small to contain my education or employment history and multiple choice (tick one only) boxes where 3 or 4 could apply but none of them are completely accurate.

I think forms are quite frightening as well it is to me sort of like giving your soul or yourself into the hands of someone who won't let you go free again. Hate it. At income tax time I read the manual word for word then go back and read it again and I trust no one. In Canada I think the government behaves very strangely.On the one hand the tax package they send you in the mail invariably means you will pay something, sometimes quite a lot. But if you just go to the post office and get the slightly different package in the office you will generally get something back, often quite a bit. And yet one time I got a letter from them which said they had forgot to give me an extra twenty five cents. They SENT A CHEQUE for that amount and yet I think it cost them 40 cents to send it.

When I had terribly low blood after Clayton was born I had this frightening urge to throw myself off the sundeck, totally irrational and it worried me so much I would not take him out there(we were in a rural subdivision,no one around much)to nurse and take in some sunshine. I thought I was truly flipped out until the doctor phoned our house and ordered me to come in. He said I had only so many white cells and they were only half the size they should be and once that was fixed the problem went away.So sometimes fears really can be health based.

Wow, Rachel. That certainly is scary. I'm always amazed by the way physiological things affect the mind. I mean, it makes sense, the brain being reliant on blood and all, but it's still so funny the way these things work.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

yes but when I tried to tell anyone they thought....well and it hurt so much.When I told my doctor he said it was amazing I was even alive and could function.So I watch my blood now and when anyone else says anything wierd like that and they are super tired I encourage them to see a doctor, sure enough it is usually something blood related.

Blog Entries
    Oh dear!

Let's see- I'm scared to death of crossing large streets by myself and I'm afraid of disappointing everyone around me.
    The end.

I have often feared losing the precious moment for the most important thing to act upon at hand.

The Word is Serendipitous Lote-Tree's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Red face Your Phobias

I have this irrational fear of snakes. Even when I see them on TV screens it makes skin crawl and my hair stand! So you can imagine my fear watching this film called Snakes on a Plane. Apart from that I have no fear of anything else. I am a rational person. But snakes they just freak me. It is George Orwell's Room 101 torture room for me! I will admit to anything when snakes are around. I hate snakes as Indiana Jones says. I hate snakes!!
    I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
    Some letter of that After-life to spell:
    And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
    And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell :"

Blog: Rubaiyats of Lote-Tree and Poetry and Tales

Blog Entries
    I hate snakes on a plane, does that count, It's so terrible unfunny, even if it wasn't meant to be funny, it just fails all over, and only got popular due to internet hype, which is always a bad indication, given the tendency of average internet geeks to ridicule everything they can, in often funny ways, too bad the movie itself was not funny... at all.
    There is no darkness, there is no light, there is only Lasagne!

I seem to have a lot of phobias.

top of the list is flying - I do it a lot, and I hate it every time (to continue the snakes on a plane theme)

actually, that's really my primary phobia. I'm also a bit of a hypochondriac.

Blog Entries
    Bugs!! I just HATE them. If I found one in ANY room in the house, I won't go in there for two or maybe three days in a row. I once slept in the hall, cuz I found a little spider in my room.
    I hate snakes too, I don't know anyone who doesn't to tell you the truth, but I don't think I'll be jumping up and down when I see one, the way I do with bugs..lol
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

The topic reminds me of this thread.

Of course, new fears/phobias have been added into my life but I fear mentioning them here.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Quote Originally Posted by Nossa View Post
    Bugs!! I just HATE them. If I found one in ANY room in the house, I won't go in there for two or maybe three days in a row. I once slept in the hall, cuz I found a little spider in my room.
    I hate snakes too, I don't know anyone who doesn't to tell you the truth, but I don't think I'll be jumping up and down when I see one, the way I do with bugs..lol
    I too have a fear of bugs!! I can see them on TV though. As long as I am not next to them, it's ok. I have a big fear of spiders, but in the meantime I like looking at them, especially the big tarentulas that can be fascinating. I am afraid of moths, too. More than I am of spiders, because moths can suddenly fly and surprise you when you don't expect it. I cannot kill bugs, because I am afraid of doing so, and also because a part of me tells me that after all, it is not their fault if I am afraid of them, and it is not nice to kill them just out of fear.

Other than that, I am quite afraid of talking in front of people, I am shy. Today it is getting better but I've had real anxiety in the past, with a paralysis everytime I had to speak in front of the class.

Blog Entries
    Spiders. Creep me out, can't stand them. I used to have night-terrors when I was a kid...it was always spiders.

Do creepy dead people with blue skin and a grudge for everyone count??

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    insects and peoples ears.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    I don't hate big planes with hundreds of people in 'em. They're alright but this summer I boarded a tiny, tiny plane with only about 30 chairs and bam! My aviatophobia was so bad I was praying in 3 different languages.

People often make fun of me for this but I have Coulrophobia. It's not funny! I can't be near clowns, they just terrify me.

I have a bit of Acrophobia, Autophobia, Tokophobia, Glossophobia, Genophobia, Gymnophobia, Nyctophobia, Trypanophobia and mild aphephobia and Pediophobia.

(I'm a bit phobic. I fear. But nothing to bad except for the first two.)
    Shall these bones live?