Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Phobias

Quote Originally Posted by emily655321
    Oh, sorry to put words in your mouth, Scher. I fear that, too, but to a lesser degree. I think I could handle being stupid if it was a universally agreed upon fact. I'm just afraid that there is a discrepency between mine and the world's perception of my intelligence. Either that a) I really am stupid, and everyone realizes it but me, or b) I'm not stupid, but everyone thinks I am.

I could never fear stupidity because along time ago I realized I'll never have all the answers,and neither will anybody else.Which makes me dumb,and everyone else is just as dumb as me .

besides having a little herpetophobia, another fear I have is that of letting people down. Since people think I'm smart and intelligent... I guess I just don't want to let them down by doing something stupid...

If that were the case I'd let someone down everyday.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryduce
    I could never fear stupidity because along time ago I realized I'll never have all the answers,and neither will anybody else.
    I beg to differ. Not having answers does not make one stupid; s/he simply does not have the knowledge, which is quite natural. Like you said, no one can have all the answers. However, if one fails to put things together when they are out in the open; if one fails to question things around them and reach the apparent conclusions, then, I believe, stupidity kicks in.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I was merely suggesting that we are all stupid.

And I was only being half serious.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    My fera? well At the moment Im too comfortable to think of a real fear .
    Strangers wide open spaces with lots of people make me feel almost physically ill. I can handle wide open places on my own or with just my family but and I can deal with lotsof people if I know them all in a small place. But the combination *shudder*
    Oh and having my handwriting/ out loud reading made fun of or being called stupid ( not by someone who isnt in a psoition to know more like by teachers. (and its happend enough times to me)) but thats all been better since I was diagnosed as a dyslexic.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    I'm terrified of large dogs. And I've got awful stage fright.
    '...A cast of your skull, sir, until the original is available, would be an ornament to any anthropological museum. It is not my intention to be fulsome, but I confess that I covet your skull.' --Dr. Mortimer, The Hound of the Baskervilles

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I was merely suggesting that we are all stupid.
    Not all people are stupid. I would like to give more credit to people... Of course, some of them use up all their credit and go down to red before you can say 'How do you do?'
    And I was only being half serious.
    And I replied to the serious half of your post!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    There is no such thing as stupid questions...only stupid people.

heh, I love that quote!

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know how much I fear them, but tight spaces (the kind so tight that you can't move your limbs around) REALLY send me into a panic attack. Anything I can sort of move around in, I think of it as cozy, but once movement gets constricted, I start getting short of breath and sweaty. Once, as a child, I somehow locked myself into a plastic storage bin while everyone else in the house was either sleeping or occupied in a different room. It took me maybe 30 seconds to pry the lid open (in retrospect), but it felt like an eternity...
    Last edited by RobinHood3000; 03-09-2006 at 11:16 PM.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Quote Originally Posted by RobinHood3000
    I don't know how much I fear them, but tight spaces (the kind so tight that you can't move your limbs around) REALLY send me into a panic attack. Anything I can sort of move around in, I think of it as cozy, but once movements gets constricted, I start getting short of breath and sweaty. Once, as a child, I somehow locked myself into a plastic storage bin while everyone else in the house was either sleeping or occupied in a different room. It took me maybe 30 seconds to pry the lid open (in retrospect), but it felt like an eternity...

wow, that sucks, yeah I'm sort of afraid of that too. I mean I look at movies and see people moving around inside those air conditioner thingamjigger roads. Anyhow, I just imagine myself inside that... and well... O.o I'd freak out.

me too.When I worked at a hospital I was overtired and that itself can bring on phobias. I got afraid of elevators and small spaces. One day I was in the elevator(had to I had to get to another floor in a hurry( and the power went off in the elevator and we were stuck there with a patient for about twenty minutes only but....sweat, pouring sweat. I think I made squeaky mouse noise whenever anyone spoke to me.
    I was attacked and rightly so once by a German shepherd off duty police dog. a kid had stolen my new jacket at a ball game and I chased him and finally I jumped over a fence to cut him off and there was the dog. and the rest is a blur. The off duty officer was kind and understanding.still to this day.....

Ooops, I forgot to mention another thing which I fear a lot and it is "injection"
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    really small spaces? I probably feel most comfortable in them ( I used to when I was younger climb into my cupboard when I was upset BUt I dont like elevatours Im constantly worried theyll fall.
    I rembered what I am very afraid of though last night.
    Dogs. I tend to forget about until IM face to face with one and then I react like the steryotipical reaction to a mouse I scream annd freeze in my place. (rather embarissing in the street)
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wonder why people are so afraid of elevators. There has been exactly ONE occurrence in all of history of an elevator plunging to the bottom of its shaft (not including intentional drops), which happened in 1945 when a training B-2 bomber crashed into the 75th floor of the Empire State Building (not an everyday occurrence). Even then, the sole occupant (elevator operator Betty Lou Oliver) survived a fall from the 75th floor to the subbasement. The vast majority of elevator-injuries occur when the door malfunctions, such as opening when the building floor isn't quite aligned with the elevator floor. You'd be surprised at the huge number of elevator safeties that go into most elevators.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast