Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Phobias

Read the article and tell us what are you scared of?

Here is an interesting article concerning the fears of teenagers from Singapore. Maybe some of us fears the similar things too.

By the look, they look carefree and it seems that they have nothing to fear about but when you talk to them, you will find that most of them feel that they are bound by Asian traditions.

You better do well or else ...

First on the list of fears seems to be the pressure of having to perform, sometimes to unrealistic standards set by parents.

At school, friends are also competitors and students pity those who do not do well in their exams.

One boy said that when he sat down to read the newspapers, his father said that he had to read his school books. The boy was complaining and was saying that he was unable to take it anymore and he would leave school and he would start working somewhere.

Another student says: "My parents have promissed me to give me a large sum of money if I would get A's in all subjects in mu O-Levels and even one B would disappoint them"

Forced to do, what they don't want to do

Some students want to take part in something and their parents force them to do something else or otherwise they will not support their son/daughter.

The guilt from control

Some students or children feel guilty when they go against their parents or relatives or friends wishes so they become crazy and blame themselves.

No say in life

Parents make rules in most families and teenagers complain that they have no say in life. Many of them believe by watching American shows that American children have adventurous lives as they face challanges and face them by their own.

Rely in strangers

Teenagers have fears that they will not share with their parents and will go to strangers and in this way they will have to face problems by being black-mailed by those people

~ It is not the original article, it is the short version created by me.I think that the fears look like more of children fears than teenagers. What are your thoughts about it and what are you scared of? I will love to hear your thoughts about it.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Pensive; 03-08-2006 at 12:13 PM.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Blog Entries
    I think these fears are present in all societies.

my fears: none really, I mean I can get startled or disgusted by something but I have no deep phobia or fear that I can not handle, I suppose I fear God.

fear really is irelevant, and is a hindrance.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

We can over-take our fears. I mean that we can control them but many of us have fears and it does not hurt to tell about them.

Personally, I fear lizards. Whenever, I see a lizard, I start running. I also fear "not meeting expectations"
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Since I am twice a teenager's age, I think I am entitled to have twice as many fears!

I am not however scared of creepy crawlies and such. I can (and have) pick up worms, lizzards etc. I wouldn't get out of my way to do so but if faced with the inevitable, a gal's gotta do what she's gotta do!

My biggest fear is stupidity... I don't want to be one myself or face others who suffer from this. I had a very old Prof at university, who was well known for failing students the first time they took his course. He used to say 'Laziness is curable but there is no cure for stupidity.'
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I feel fortunate that I never had the fears mentioned in the article. My parents were very supportive of me, and still are, even when I fail... and fail again... and again... I never felt like they had specific expectations I had to fulfill. But they were both artists who gave up art for mainstream jobs, and only recently my father told me he hopes I don't give it up like he did.

My fear is of humiliation. I'm very talented at saying things that bring the conversation to a stand-still, or that make people laugh at me, or at least make me feel like they are. I can be stammeringly inarticulate in person. When I'm looking at the words I write, they come very easily; but when someone is looking at me, my mind goes blank and I forget what I want to say. I'm always worried that people sometimes laugh at me behind my back. And, like Scher, I'm afraid of being thought stupid.
    Last edited by emily655321; 03-08-2006 at 02:19 PM.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Flying wererats with laser cannons strapped to their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil
    Flying wererats with laser cannons strapped to their heads.
    I thought I was the only one!!!

hmmmm...besides the wererats there isn't much I'm frightened of, like Scher said a girl has to do what a girl has to do.

In grade school I do remember not wanting to go home one day because I got a B on my report card, I think I was around 11. My grandma caught wind of that and gave my mom hell ever since then I haven't done much that my Mom wanted or expected of me. Not that she's not proud, I was just never how she thought I should be.

oh, I'm not that good on planes either.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Pensive
    We can over-take our fears. I mean that we can control them but many of us have fears and it does not hurt to tell about them.

Personally, I fear lizards. Whenever, I see a lizard, I start running. I also fear "not meeting expectations"

:O me too! lol... I have a phobia of lizards... but apparently I can handle snakes (once when I was younger, my family and I went to this party and someone had a boa constrictor)

I feared escalators until I was 16.Seriously though, moving stairs must be the devil's innovation.
    I also fear failure,blood,all people,and sex.

Man I have alot of problems.

yes dude... you fail at life... hehe... just kidding... man... first poetic now funny... what an odd day...

even though blood... hmm... you really should get over that fear... as well as people.

Blood seriously makes me pass out if I see it.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emily655321
    like Scher, I'm afraid of being thought stupid.
    Just a clarification... I am not worried about people thinking of me 'stupid'. I simply don't want to be stupid; don't want to consider my own actions stupid.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Oh, sorry to put words in your mouth, Scher. I fear that, too, but to a lesser degree. I think I could handle being stupid if it was a universally agreed upon fact. I'm just afraid that there is a discrepency between mine and the world's perception of my intelligence. Either that a) I really am stupid, and everyone realizes it but me, or b) I'm not stupid, but everyone thinks I am.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

I'm scared of insects, silly as it is, I can't handle them.

And I'm scared of people in a way, especially male people :oops: At least at the beginning, before I get comfortable with someone.

But my biggest fear is just "the future" - I get totally paranoid if I think about it.
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    I am scared of exposed heights.......I hate climbing the external ladders on the elevated water storage tanks at work, however for some reason I have no problem climbing 200 foot down a ladder into a sewer.
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast