• yes, read it.

14 87.50%
  • hell no.

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Iliad:is it worth it?

smeghead

The Iliad:is it worth it?

I picked it up, started reading, not sure if it's worth it to keep going.... so vote to dictate my reading patterns!
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

I'm slogging through also. I'm halfway through it and I figure since I've gotten this far I might as well go on......Perhaps i should go with the voting also......
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I read it in my native turkish. It was a good translation and I ilked it. I found it interesting, that's why I read it within a week.
    Above at all it is worth reading because it's one of the most ancient literary works of the world.

It's definitely worth reading faye. IMHO, it's the best book ever written.
    I'd carry on if I were you.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

fated loafer
    Trust crisaor, it is worth reading, I especially enjoyed the battle scenes, just ignore the whole book that lists off all the men on various ships and their parentage and whatnot. The thing that is often hard about Homer is that he uses epithets and the fighters are often referered to as "son of...", so it is sometimes hard to know who is who. And if you think about it not much really happens except for a few squables, 10 years of fighting has already gone by and it doesn't even tell you the outcome of the war, it only takes place over four days. But nonetheless I think that it should be read to bear witness to an art of the past, the oral traditions, of memorizing lines and how it is constructed to make that easier.

A few friends and I were just discussing this yesterday! I say definately go for it, especially if you have a good translation. Mine is Stanley Lombardo, and I really enjoyed it although the modern language threw me at first when I expected heavy classic stuff. But what a wonderful story, gods and goddesses swooping in, war speeches, it's good stuff!
    At the end of the game, the king and the pawn return to the same box...

I think it is definately worth finishing, I thought it was a fantastic book. I started reading the Odyssey as soon as i had finished the Illiad, I enjoyed it so much.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I havent read it yet Faye so i don't vote. Wish you wrote your reasons too for not being sure to continue reading it..that way i'll have extra reference, since other posts here claimed that the book is worth finishing.

Ha! I have just finished The Illiad. It was probably worth it.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    Posing such a question on this site is just BEGGING to be told to read it, as this site AND THOSE VISITING IT suffer from rampant AND chronic READ-A-CITIS. I'm just thankful there isn't a copy somewhere in this cave, or I'd have to read it......

Well... You kinda asked for it...
    This cave's copy
    - Jorge Luis Borges

from the pampas
    I wouldnt have continued reading it. Borges was also a literature teacher, and he used to tell his students that if they didn`t like a book they didn`t have to force themselves to read it. It just wasnt the right moment in their lives for them to read the book. I do agree.

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    Quote Originally Posted by crisaor
    Well... You kinda asked for it...
    This cave's copy

Well!! I guess I did ask for it!!!!!!! No problemo, I fear no book!!! But I believe I will hunt down a paper copy of this tome (I've mentioned my lack of attraction towards electronic lit.), curl up in a chair for a MONTH, and get down to it!!! Uh.......give me a week to find a copy......gotta sweep the cave, stock up on mammoth, etc..........

Quote Originally Posted by elibennet
    I wouldnt have continued reading it. Borges was also a literature teacher, and he used to tell his students that if they didn`t like a book they didn`t have to force themselves to read it. It just wasnt the right moment in their lives for them to read the book. I do agree.
    True. But then again, a little bit of erudition never hurt anybody. As you say, maybe in another time.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baddad
    Posing such a question on this site is just BEGGING to be told to read it, as this site AND THOSE VISITING IT suffer from rampant AND chronic READ-A-CITIS. I'm just thankful there isn't a copy somewhere in this cave, or I'd have to read it......
    You're taking it too seriously

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast