View Poll Results: "The Colour Purple" by Alice Walker: Final Verdict

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

0 0%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

0 0%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals.

2 40.00%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

1 20.00%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

2 40.00%

Thread: The Colour Purple by Alice Walker

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

The Colour Purple by Alice Walker

I picked up this book without knowing much about it and I was drawn into it from the very first sentence. It is the story of Celie, a fourteen year old black girl, who, as the novel opens, is abused by her father. As she grows older and forced into marriage, she realises that to able to survive, she needs to live without reacting, doing as she is told by men in her life. However, through people she meets (mostly women), she discovers the importance of being oneself and standing up for oneself.

It is a mesmerising story of self discovery, racism, gender issues, feminisim, love, human strength, religion and faith. It is a book one does not want to put down (and probably you won't). It is written in forms of letters addressed first to God and then Celie's sister, Nettie, which makes the story even more endearing somehow (Celie's lack of grammar and vocabulary takes a little getting used to).

This is the first real 'grown-up' book I have read in a while and I feel I am truly better off for having done so. An excellent book with something to offer to almost everyone, written in a powerful, flowing style:

10/10 KitKats!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    I had a bit of a struggle with the language at first too, but as you said, you get used to it, plus, it's a part of the story's charm, to be able to think and even talk in the same manner as Celie.
    It's a great story!
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Difficult to read, especially with Mr ____ throughout! An interesting read, but not amazing.
    7/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post

I picked up this book without knowing much about it and I was drawn into it from the very first sentence. It is the story of Celie, a fourteen year old black girl, who, as the novel opens, is abused by her father. As she grows older and forced into marriage, she realises that to able to survive, she needs to live without reacting, doing as she is told by men in her life. However, through people she meets (mostly women), she discovers the importance of being oneself and standing up for oneself.

It is a mesmerising story of self discovery, racism, gender issues, feminisim, love, human strength, religion and faith. It is a book one does not want to put down (and probably you won't). It is written in forms of letters addressed first to God and then Celie's sister, Nettie, which makes the story even more endearing somehow (Celie's lack of grammar and vocabulary takes a little getting used to).

This is the first real 'grown-up' book I have read in a while and I feel I am truly better off for having done so. An excellent book with something to offer to almost everyone, written in a powerful, flowing style:

10/10 KitKats!
    Scher, you know you are giving a story 10/10? I seriously need to read it! By the way, it really appears to be interesting. The more I visit this 'Write a Book Review' section the more books get added into the book list I have in my mind.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensive View Post
    Scher, you know you are giving a story 10/10? I seriously need to read it! By the way, it really appears to be interesting. The more I visit this 'Write a Book Review' section the more books get added into the book list I have in my mind.
    This is a very good read, Pensive. I'm sure you'll enjoy it
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensive View Post
    Yes, I do realise I have given 10/10!

It is an excellent read, Pensive. I am not how relevant it would be a reader as young as yourself but it is an excellent book. If you find yourself unable to 'connect' with it now, please do give it another try, say, in 5 years' time.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I read this years ago. I thought it was very moving. I don't know if it is everyone's cup of tea, but it is a very good story. At least I think so.

So, I take it that everyone here who has read the book has not seen the film. Am I correct?

I saw the film when I was a kid. I was about 11 years old. I loved it. Talk about a tearjerker! So, a few years later I read the novel. I will say that the film is different than the novel in many ways. So, I would avoid the film until after I read the book.

By the way, personally, the film version is one of the few movies that I like better than the book! But this novel is worth the time reading! I would give it 9/10.

Nice book I read it long time ago and I really love it! By that time I also read The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison which is similar in the way it treats issues of racism, gender...