View Poll Results: The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells: Final Verdict

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

0 0%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

0 0%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals.

0 0%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

0 0%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

1 100.00%

Thread: The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

The world is invaded by the Martians and the unsuspecting humanity gets caught unawares. Before they know it, their houses are burnt, people are killed and all hope is lost.

This is my first Wells read. At the end, I was expecting Rambo or Arnold (or Cruise ) to come along to save the world from a dreadful end; however, the book does not offer this. Even though it starts of like a typical sci-fi/action story, the book offers much more. Wells makes his readers question the place of human race on the planet and its relationship with each other; who are we and what are we capable of? I was very surprised to discover that the book was written in 1898. It feels so much ahead of its time but philosophically and scientifically.

Wells writes eloquently, with ease. He creates the excitement, tension and the pessimism that ensues with a masterly confidence, which is a rare gift especially among the authors of this genre.

10/10 KitKats!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

It's been awhile since I read the book, but I remember a good portion of it and I agree completely with you. I must re-read it
    life philosophy: "if one wants to succeed, they must become independent, if one wants to be independent, one must strive past the dificulties, using them to shape future desicions, like a sword being folded, every fold is a hardship overcome, and every fold removes one more imperfection that would destroy the completed version"

# of 1st Dans, Black Belts achieved- 2 (1 Hapkido, Sun Moo Kwan), (1 Tae Kwon Do)