Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Losing debate with my bf...help!!

Losing debate with my bf...help!!

did anybody NOT like Fountainhead? My bf keeps ranting about it, but i didn't like it all that much. Anyone agree?

What's Fountainhead?
    Glenn

I understand! When talking about lit/books, my husband always refers to it. I too did not like it one bit. In fact, I did not even finish it! To each his own.

Fountainhead

Idoubt that I will enjoy reading it, but I intend to. In fact, I've been meaning to ever since I was in high school (graduated 41 years ago :oops: ).

King of Plastic Spoons imthefoolonthehill's Avatar
    What is fountainhead?
    Told by a fool, signifying nothing.

Yeah, what is it?
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

*wonders as well*
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Grand Equal of Heaven
    *smiles politely, and listens for clues that could be used in sounding like a basic knowledge is present*
    "Do I dare disturb the universe?"

- T.S. Eliot

I believe it's by Ayn Rand, don't know much else about though because I only read half of it.

great book

Ayn Rand wrote the Fountainhead in the mid-40's.

Theme: lone man buck the system to do things his own way, using his own mind and reason.

Rand's protaganists live and espouse her philosophy of Objectivism. Her novels antagonists generall espouse and behave to the philosophies of statism, mysticism (i.e. religion, lack of reason, etc).

Howard Roark is in architecture school and keeps designing buildings to his own vision. He gets kicked out because he won't design like the professors.' He goes to work as a draftsmand, eventually ending up noticed by a free-thinking client.

Peter Keating is Roarks opposite- he spends his whole life trying to be successful on the basis of other peoples expectations and opinions.

Dominique becomes the love of Roarks life, but does not believe he can survive in the current culture and thus surrenders to live in compromised world.

Roark is truly a unique heroic character. I would consider him my literary hero. He is the epitome of self sufficiency with regard to emotions, opinions, relationships, and attitude.