Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If God told you to kill someone would you do it?

Spiral out, keep going Metanoia's Avatar

If God told you to kill someone would you do it?

If it was truly god speaking, you knew it for sure and you could feel his presence. If God imparted devine knowlege to you of the nessesity of this deed, would you kill somenone?
    The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
    Arnold J. Toynbee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Metanoia View Post
    If it was truly god speaking, you knew it for sure and you could feel his presence. If God imparted devine knowlege to you of the nessesity of this deed, would you kill somenone?
    I'd commit myself to some mental hospital until 'God' stopped talking to me.
    Then I'd watch out for the next person 'God' talked to and do my best to stay away from them.
    "All we are saying is give PEACE a chance." Beatles[/SIZE]
    Granny5's Blog
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...p?userid=35805

Well, I'd probably tell him to **** off.

The Story of My Life bibliophile190's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, the issue wouldn't really come up would it? That would contradict pretty much everything Christianity is based on. I'm assuming you mean the Christian God, if not, sorry.
    A room without books is like a body without a soul.
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero

Blog Entries
    If it is the Christian God then maybe it would be like Abraham and Isaac- God told Abraham to kill his only son Isaac as a sacrifice. So that's what Abraham prepared to do- had the knife raised up and everything when God sent a lamb to take his place and told Abraham that only because of his great faith Isaac would be spared. I doubt God would ask something like that without having a plan in mind.
    "O reason, reason, abstract phantom of the waking state, I had already expelled you from my dreams, now I have reached a point where those dreams are about to become fused with apparent realities: now there is only room here for myself. "
    -Louis Aragon

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

I am wondering about the reason for the question. I could never kill in cold blood. There would have to be a very valid reason where the death of the person in question was the only option. If God told me to kill an innocent, I would require plenty of proof that I was truly speaking to God, and not loosing my mind. I am afraid that I would be what Jesus called "A wicked and adulterous generation.", because I would require an absolute sign. Life is sacred as I said, and only if there were no choice could I kill...
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

If I believed so completely it was like knowing that God wanted me to kill someone, and I "knew" the killing was of some divine importance...I like to think I'd do it.

The thing is, I'm a very lapsed and largely faithless former Christian, so right now I "know" that God probably doesn't exist, and that if he does, he wouldn't be asking me to kill people, and this, to me, is reality. Within this reality, it's doubtful that I'd even kick someone in the shins on God's command--"God's command" isn't mutable to me; it's non-existent.

...However, if I woke up tomorrow morning with boundless faith and absolute sureness that God was asking something of me (however horrible it might sound), I hate to think that I would shirk on a responsibility to the Almighty; within the confines of a reality where I "know" that God exists, and I "know" that he's asked something of me, I would think it very stupid to ignore his request.

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries
    If you were thinking of the Abraham/Isaac story from Genesis, which one replier did address, you may remember that God changed His mind at the very last second. Talk about your dramatic effect! It reads like a cliff-hanger scene in a movie serial.

When we read about tragedies, murders or mass murders committed by poor deranged souls they often cite that they heard "voices," which perhaps is a symptom of schizophrenia.

The God in Whom many of us profess to believe would never make such a request -- it is a categorical contradiction that the REAL living God would ask one of his children to disobey a law that He Himself enacted: "Thou Shall Not Kill." So if someone trying to pass himself off
    as God tells you to go whack somebody, that guy is an imposter.

The actual danger arises when governments or societies throughout history have waged wars, the Inquisition, or similar witchhunts with the belief that God is on "our" side. It has often been stated that much evil in the world has been done in the name of religion.

And take it one step farther -- beyond murder to Death in general. Every time I go to a funeral and somebody solemnly states "It was God's will," I want to choke the person! Who are we to presume that we know what God's will is?

Blog Entries
    no i wouldnt. Thou shall not kill.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Pen said: "I would require an absolute sign."

Hi Dale,

I told some other fellow I would stop posting in this forum because I was offending folks. But, I do love to read the posts here, so I've just been lurking. I was really intrigued by your statement and I just wanted to ask what you would consider an absolute sign? How could you be absolutely certain it wasn't your mind (or satan for that matter) playing tricks with you?

Doug
    “The air was soft, the stars so fine, the promise of every cobbled alley so great that I thought I was in a dream.” -Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries
    If people could kill themselves at the signal of Hitler, why would they be ashamed of doing their duty to God if God ordered them to kill someone!
    don't you think God is the highest Court, the Apex judgement, The most Wise ??

I think you have started foolish thread
    ===============-
    When asked how World War III would be fought, Einstein replied that he didn't know. But he knew how World War IV would be fought: With sticks and stones.
    -(:===============

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Pen said: "I would require an absolute sign."

Hi Dale,

I told some other fellow I would stop posting in this forum because I was offending folks. But, I do love to read the posts here, so I've just been lurking. I was really intrigued by your statement and I just wanted to ask what you would consider an absolute sign? How could you be absolutely certain it wasn't your mind (or satan for that matter) playing tricks with you?

Doug
    Doug, I will be absolutely honest. I go nowhere without a knife on me, a phobia left over from a stab wound I carry on my back. Were I to fly anywhere, my first purchase in the new place would be a knife to carry.

However, if I thought God was telling me to kill a person, I would throw the weapon as far as I could in a random direction. If God wants this person dead by my hands, He can bring me the knife back. I won't hunt for it. It doesn't return to my hand, I don't kill anyone. And the blade will be marked with a thought I have in my head.

mazHur, no, I don't think killing if God tells you to do so would be so bad, but killing because others who present no proof that God spoke to them say "God says kill." is a horse of a different color.

We are warned in the Bible about people who will say, "Yeah, God hath said, when God hath not spoken."

God Bless

Pen
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Blog Entries
    Pen, I take your point but what would you do in self-defense or in the battle field or while persecuting a man according to state laws? It IMPLIES that God has told you to finish him off !

Why don't you sell me your knife,,,I need one for cutting veggies !! lol
    ===============-
    When asked how World War III would be fought, Einstein replied that he didn't know. But he knew how World War IV would be fought: With sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny5 View Post
    I'd commit myself to some mental hospital until 'God' stopped talking to me.
    Then I'd watch out for the next person 'God' talked to and do my best to stay away from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    Well, I'd probably tell him to **** off.
    Both of these comments essentially avoid the issue by simply responding as if God does not exist. Which, of course, wasn't the question. The question requires the presupposition of the existence of God.

Quote Originally Posted by mazHur View Post
    If people could kill themselves at the signal of Hitler, why would they be ashamed of doing their duty to God if God ordered them to kill someone!
    don't you think God is the highest Court, the Apex judgement, The most Wise ??

I think you have started foolish thread
    Why would you put Hitler and God into an analogical relationship? Yikes.

Name-calling is unnecessary and generally counterproductive to discussion (I should know...).

Quote Originally Posted by mazHur View Post
    Pen, I take your point but what would you do in self-defense or in the battle field or while persecuting a man according to state laws? It IMPLIES that God has told you to finish him off !

Why don't you sell me your knife,,,I need one for cutting veggies !! lol
    No - your "cause-effect" suggestion doesn't ring true. Self-defense or serving one's country cannot be construed to be an implicit instruction from God to kill.

Questions like that at outset of this thread resemble the old "Can God create a rock so big He couldn't lift it?" question. Before you can pose such questions, you have to ask if such an action is consistent with the character of God. With the exception of Abraham being asked to sacrifice Isaac (a long-standing discussion here), the Bible does not give us reason to believe that this is something God tends to ask people. And, as I've said in the Abraham thread, the request to sacrifice Isaac was a test. I do not believe that God would request that I kill someone - though I could understand being impressed to use deadly force under certain circumstances - but I don't think God would ask such a thing. In the OT He did, on occasion, command the destruction of an enemy of Israel, but that was always done collectively as a war.
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

Blog Entries
    God has His own ways of manifestation. He has ordered and He continues to do so, either through His revelations, visions or other means. We are just there to obey Him. Hitler was no exception---right or wrong. So many wars are being fought in the name of God and innocent people killed. Is there no one to tell them what they are doing?? Ask them and they will say :God has commanded them to do so but all is illusory. Man kills man for his own vested interest.
    As for me I would not disappoint God if He comes to me and explicitly tells me to kill someone!
    ===============-

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast