Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debate: Math People Lag Behind in English?

Outnumbered Mathochist Crapbuster's Avatar

Debate: Math People Lag Behind in English?

Is it true that Math people lag behind in English?
    Research proves so, and so does my classmate who's an international champion in math but hasn't even mastered his tenses.
    Yet another classmate stands as a contradiction. She's good in English, but she's also excellent in Math.
    What do you believe?

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm crap at math. Okay, not terribly bad, but its not the easiest thing for me. At my highschool they split up the boys and girls in English classes and math classes. According to them, boys do better in english when no girls are around and girls to better in math with no boys around.

Oh, everyone is different.

Professional Crastinator Hyacinth42's Avatar
    I love math, and while I can't write very well, I'm a good "critical reader"... Although there are lots of poems/books I don't get, I can usually make up something that sounds correct/is what the teachers want, even if I don't really believe/like it So it's very frustrating, I'll do well in class discussions and whatnot, and then get C's on my papers... But I'm still good in English (I ended up with an A)

Now, art? or history? (at least the way they teach history in school) Those I'm not good at...

Of course, that's just me, there are some brilliant people in my class that are good at everything (they are so annoying).

Sweet farewell, Good Nite
    Quote Originally Posted by Crapbuster View Post
    Is it true that Math people lag behind in English?
    Research proves so, and so does my classmate who's an international champion in math but hasn't even mastered his tenses.
    Yet another classmate stands as a contradiction. She's good in English, but she's also excellent in Math.
    What do you believe?
    i agree. i know both engineers and mathematicians whose grasp of the english language is pretty bad, both orally and written. according to my engineer friend, the emphasis is on problem solving in engineering school, not english and writing. so the correlation makes sense. of course, there are exceptions.
    "He was nauseous with regret when he saw her face again, and when, as of yore, he pleaded and begged at her knees for the joy of her being. She understood Neal; she stroked his hair; she knew he was mad."
    ---Jack Kerouac, On The Road: The Original Scroll

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1jt View Post
    i agree. i know both engineers and mathematicians whose grasp of the english language is pretty bad, both orally and written. according to my engineer friend, the emphasis is on problem solving in engineering school, not english and writing. so the correlation makes sense. of course, there are exceptions.
    Don't say that to Virgil!

Blog Entries
    This is an interesting thread -- I often wondered about those who are bent toward the sciences moreso, and those who are bent to the arts (and then those who are a bit of each, or none of the above)... ha -- it gets complicated.

BUT: Leonardo DaVinci is a classic example of functioning quite well in sciences and arts.

My husband has his Electrical Engineer degree and he said that they offer (at his former workplace) a course called "Technically Write", kind of a guideline for writing with competence, those technical papers. Some technical people need this, but it is not a 'given'.

Another thought -- when my hubby and I shopped for my new piano, when we went to this one place, a man was merrily playing one of Chopin's more complicated works (one that I shan't get to for years, I assure you), the 'Fantasy Impromptu'. I thought that this fellow was either a professional pianist, or something. No, he was a dental surgeon who frequented the shoppe simply because he was a bit eccentric (said the salesman). And I thought to myself that 'hey, another science-minded person is embracing the aesthetics quite nicely'... My bias began to change.

I don't think that it is cut and dry that if someone favour's science, that they cannot be adept in artistic realms. Dang, and I teased my hubby for a few years about that now, too...
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    I use to be great in math, but I was bullied as a child for it.
    I can pick it up, but can only get interested in my math class if
    I try applying it to literature.

My brother is in highschool and math is his best subject; he recently asked me if I could help him with english.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think that everyone has a subject they are best in. The rest is left up to your natural ability to learn things. Some people are better at learning than others, and they will likely do well in all subjects. I struggled more with english, but only the grammar part. Science and math were a breeze, so I guess I still support this even though I wasn't a dolt when it came to english. You have to assess based on an individual's ability to really see if this is true or not. Some people are good at everything, but by their own standards one subject is more simple than another. Others are unable to learn easily, but there is still one that is a bit easier than the others.

I dwell... in a place that is perpetually inhabited by beings of my kind, Rockistas, we call us... and so we continue to live in that place, in a world that is eternally moving, swept by the torrents of musical wind.
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't exactly say that I'm horrible in the sciences or anything, yet I'd openly admit that the humanities are my strong point.
    However, I suppose it still depends on the person after all. One can be good in English and still good in Math, or the other way around.
    However, it has been said that math people think in a more technical or linear/systematic manner while lit people envision things in a more creative style.
    Wish hard enough, I could turn it to what I like.

Fall Out Boy, "Tiffany Blews."

I would rather say English people lag behind in math! I am considered quite good in English and often get an A-grade in it without any sort of preperation but in math, even if I work hard I usually get to see the evil face of a B-grade. There have been a few joyous times when I got an A in it. Not to mention there have been a few moments moments when I have got Cs, Ds and once U (failure grade) in class tests but in English I always manage to grab some good grades. Especially if it is creative writing.

I have also met people who are neither good in math nor in English or the ones who are good in both subjects.

I think it differs from person to person. You can't really predict that a person who is good in math would certainly prove to be a dumb-brain in English or vice-versa.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

I had top grades in Finnish, English AND Math (But I had good grades in all the other subjects too, except physical education, so I'm not sure wheter it means anything or not.)
    Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing. Her hair was golden as the sun's rays and her soul as clear and blue as her eyes.
    Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm a math person by nature - I leave judgment of my linguistic skills to you folk.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

I dwell... in a place that is perpetually inhabited by beings of my kind, Rockistas, we call us... and so we continue to live in that place, in a world that is eternally moving, swept by the torrents of musical wind.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annamariah View Post
    I had top grades in Finnish, English AND Math (But I had good grades in all the other subjects too, except physical education, so I'm not sure wheter it means anything or not.)
    Here in our school PE is 0.5 units so we all have to do our best in it whether we like it or not... I must admit I am not very good in PE either especially when it involves dancing as I can only do a little hip-shaking and nothing more. Modern dances are okay but folk dancing, oh folk dancing! Folk dancing is my waterloo. We just did some earlier ago for our Health subject and by the end of the session my feet were in tangles. To make things worse, I even got paired up to the best male dancer in class!
    So much to this wonderful day! Neither do I feel confident at all in Math.
    My friend BEXsezthat is pretty much rounded, though--just like you, Annamariah.
    Please wish me good luck and hope I won't fail (for the first time--EVER).
    *BiTtER ChiLLz*
    Wish hard enough, I could turn it to what I like.

Fall Out Boy, "Tiffany Blews."

Blog Entries
    when my nephew was in primary school, he was brilliant at maths. He was told his level of maths was equal to people two classes (grades) higher. But He was (still is) terrible at english. His english was so bad that he had to get extra classes during the the school week, and needed to improve or else he'd be getting kept back from secondary school! He couldnt read properly so his mam sent him to me to get a loan of books that he might enjoy to improve his reading. I'd already been loaning him the harry potter books for years. (took him a year to read goblet of fire-should have known from that!)
    So yes i do believe math people lag behind in english.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

No longer confused... Lioness_Heart's Avatar
    I'm good at maths and english. I'm more of a sciency person, and I'm one of the best in my school at maths. But i love english too, and always come top in that.

So I don't see how it can be true. I think it just depends on the person.

But while on the topic, lots of the skills involved in studying literature (the whole analytical thing really) can be applied to anything, including maths.
    "The magic gave me insight, and you gave me a heart, but for all the heart and insight in the world, I am still a cat."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast