Thread: What is meditation?

What is meditation?

I do not subscribe to a particular idea of meditation. Mediations is totally a private affair and it has nothing to do with what others say and what reactions do others make.

I do meditation when I feel exhausted and want to relax. I do meditate when I can win over others in argument, in success, or in any other competitions, for I feel down. Sharing may be good but it does not always work, for the partner you live with or the friends you keep may have problems of their own and you will be helpless.

Mediation mean two things to me. First I try to calm down myself to the extent that all all my worries subside. This sounds incredible. Some people say problems or worries intensifiy through meidtations. They may be right, but to me things are totally different. It soothes my turbulent mind. First streams of ideas start pouring and I let them and I do not become reactive to them. Then gradually they give in to me.

At other times meditation means thinking to me, deeply and profoundly to understand the core meaning of life. I see the world through a different perspective. When I see some rich persons in his car, for cars are luxuries in Nepal, and some other poor people walking bare feet I start making a comparison between them. Normally rich persons appear to be happy, in their fine dresses, in their cozy cars, in their warm, air conditioned rooms, with their huge sources of incomes and bank balances. On the other hand the poor have to toil hard menially to meet their two ends meet. They are poorly dressed. All these thoughts occupy my minds. I mediate on things from different perspectives. I analyze all these ideas. An idea strikes me:

The rich worry for tomarrows, the poor for today. The poor earns for today and does not worry for tomorrows and can sleep well. The rich think for tomorrows and their tomorrows never end.

The conclusion is mediations mean several things to me. It solves solves so many personal problems.

As I am a writer too, mediation enhances my creative faculties.

I can do away with many things but not with meditation. This is integral to me. This has nothing to do with religiosity or spirituality. This is part of me, an integral part of my life.

Do it and share your feelings.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Blog Entries
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    ◕‿◕ currently reading Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark, Bill Dedman (2013)

"the dogs bark but the caravan moves on" --Arab proverb