Thread: Does God Exist at all?

Does God Exist at all?

This is the most asked and debated question and we have millions and millions of arguments for and against the existence of God. This is one of the philosophical questions that raised limitless arguments.

Now we live in an age of reason and we can argue about the existence of God, if not everywhere at least in democratic & secular countries.

I was brought up in a very religiously oriented society. My parents were highly religious. Coming of a Hindu orthodoxy we had Gods and we had to worship them always. I had read religious texts at a very tender age. I knew, and still I do, many Sanskrit hymns or Slokas.

However at the back of my mind I have a question: does god really exist?

A a child I have many images of God. Lord Krishna, Lord Ganesh, Lord Shiva and all the rest. We have many Gods, millions in Hindu mythology.

Gradually I started questioning the very existence of God. With more and more exposure to liberal arts or to different philosophical books and writings I grew more skeptical.

Now I can not truly believe in the existence of God. But some time I wonder at the mystery of this universe and at the tireless efforts of scientists to unveil the domains or ever expanding universe with countless galaxies and the possibility of the fact that there can be living entities in other planets as well.
    All these questions and most unanswerable in fact cropped up and still do within me and I seek answers to these questions thru Gurus, boks of philosophies.

But if I really belieive in God which god shall i believe in. Hindu Gods? Islamic or Christian?

In fact I have no opinions for and against it. Despite the fact that I am a bit more scholarly than the layman I do not claim that I am more informed about the existence or nonexistence of God. I do not claim that I know better than an illiterate peasant working on the farm.

I always wonder. But somewhere at the back of my mind there is a system out there. There is some order in nature. I have an inkling that nature and even these planets are not inanimate things. How can the earth that holds animate beings be inanimate things.

Conclusively, I want to be honest to everybody on the forum that I am not sure about the existence of God. I read sacred texts. Christ appeals to me, particularly some of his anecdotes move me. One story in which how he has saved a widow from getting stoned and the way he wittily responded some o f the hardest questions. His Sermons on the Mounts are really absorbing. I read repeatedly these things and they are really great messages to humanity.

The Buddha's teachings greatly appeal to me and so do Krishna's. The Vedas and Upanishads always appeal to me.

Despite all these things I can not be a believer and my skeptical mind gets supremacy over me and I start doubting.

I hope it goes with many others if not with all, this seed of doubt.

Yet my strength is honesty and sincerity. And nothing else.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

This has already been covered in part in the following thread:

http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=26498