Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Movie With The Absolute Worst Ending

Sweet farewell, Good Nite

Movie With The Absolute Worst Ending

Any movies that you loved right up until the last minutes that left you saying, "What the fuh?"

tell us what it was about the end of a movie that soured the movie experience as a whole!

feel free to comment on other people's selections as well!

One per post to give all a chance. thanks.

i'll start:

American Beauty

loved the movie, hated the ending. right up until the last five minutes of the movie, the character played by Kevin Spacy fantasized about sleeping with a young sexy female. so he finally gets his chance -- naked in bed with her -- and refuses (adopting some last minute, out of left field moral code! ). oh, this clean ending didn't have anything to do with projected ticket sales, no, of course not! lol! best dare not upset those viewers by promoting an act that runs against the social morays!
    Last edited by jon1jt; 08-12-2007 at 09:07 PM.
    "He was nauseous with regret when he saw her face again, and when, as of yore, he pleaded and begged at her knees for the joy of her being. She understood Neal; she stroked his hair; she knew he was mad."
    ---Jack Kerouac, On The Road: The Original Scroll

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    First one that jumps to mind is the cheery Hollywood ending tacked on to Hitchcock's Suspicion. It's such a shame to see an otherwise well crafted bit of cinema wrecked by that really stupid finale. Wish we could resurrect Hitch. and the cast to film the proper ending with Cary Grant as murderer.

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

Motorcycle Diaries. The ending wasn't the problem, just the epilogue, they only mentioned the high points of Che's life.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Tristan and Isolde, it was horrid!
    Shall these bones live?

Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    Motorcycle Diaries. The ending wasn't the problem, just the epilogue, they only mentioned the high points of Che's life.
    that's a great point, papaya! i totally forgot about that in the movie. now i don't like that movie anymore!
    "He was nauseous with regret when he saw her face again, and when, as of yore, he pleaded and begged at her knees for the joy of her being. She understood Neal; she stroked his hair; she knew he was mad."

"Limbo". A John Sayles film. It ended at the climax. I remember the entire audience groaning when the screen went white and credits began to roll.

There is no such thing as defeat in non-violence. Cesar Chavez

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakiryu View Post
    Tristan and Isolde, it was horrid!
    Yeah but the script writers had to go by what historical evidence etc could tell them. Btw she ended up residing the rest of her days in a tower. You can still visit it here in Dublin.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

still here
    Blog Entries
    Lord of the Rings 3. Except it lasted much longer than ten minutes. Found myself wondering if I was ever going to be able to leave...

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hannibal... well, I didn't enjoy the film anyway, except for the beautiful landscapes and great soundtrack... but the ending was the biggest let-down, what with Hannibal flying off on the plane all by himself
    *spoiler warning*
    in the book Hannibal and Clarice get married and live South America, which makes so much more sense seeing as the whole idea behind the books is that in order to be a good profiler, the detective needs to have something of the criminal in him. besides, Clarice was sorely disappointed in the FBI and she doesn't have any relatives or boyfriend and Hannibal seems to be the only person who really understands her...

Another one - AI: Artificial Intellegence. The whole last part was horribly bad.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    Another one - AI: Artificial Intellegence. The whole last part was horribly bad.
    oddly enough, the only part of that film i've managed to see is the ending.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Jurassic Park III - barring the fact that the movie as a whole wasn't particularly good, the whole "onslaught of the military" and "communicating with the raptors" idea struck as being simply idiotic.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
    Lord of the Rings 3. Except it lasted much longer than ten minutes. Found myself wondering if I was ever going to be able to leave...
    i felt the same way. i still recall my butt aching in the theatre for that one, a real snore.

Saw. That movie creeped me out big time, but the ending was ridiculous. It seemed they were more interested in the big surprise rather than making any sense. It was a "oh, gimmie a break" moment for me.

There are so many cheesy Hollywood endings out there--I have to say that the end of Interview with the Vampire sucked some of the philosophic essence right out of the movie. In all fairness, though, Anne Rice has a knack for tacking on these types of endings to her novels as well since so many of them are serials.

"When you listen to the radio you are a witness of the everlasting war between thing and idea, appearance and reality--the human, and the divine."
    -Hermann Hesse