Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Dry Run Creek

  1. #1
    Diary of a Troutbum Poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    228

    Dry Run Creek

    Dry Run Creek

    Heís just nearly eight, and his waders
    barely fit, but under canopies of green
    with bluebird skies barely visible, his
    eyes are wide, gazing intently looking
    for just the sign.

    Now boy, lift the rod now. Ah, thatís
    ok there will be another time.
    Try it again, you can do it.
    Put it upstream a bit.
    Keep your eye on the end of the line
    if it moves you know what to do.
    Look, your line, lift, yes, its there.
    Bring it in, reel, pull the lineÖ
    Let him run, reel some more.
    Here, let me help.

    Your first, itís a beauty.
    Can I keep him? No, we have to let him go.
    Why?
    So another boy can have a chance.
    Thanks Pop.
    No thank you.

  2. #2
    solid motherhubbard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,574
    Blog Entries
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Dry Run Creek
    Can I keep him? No, we have to let him go.
    Why?
    So another boy can have a chance.
    Thanks Pop.
    No thank you.
    this makes me get a little teary. I can be such a cry baby. I love your poem.

  3. #3
    Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    8,746
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Dry Run Creek

    Heís just nearly eight, and his waders
    barely fit, but under canopies of green
    with bluebird skies barely visible, his
    eyes are wide, gazing intently looking
    for just the sign.

    Now boy, lift the rod now. Ah, thatís
    ok there will be another time.
    Try it again, you can do it.
    Put it upstream a bit.
    Keep your eye on the end of the line
    if it moves you know what to do.
    Look, your line, lift, yes, its there.
    Bring it in, reel, pull the lineÖ
    Let him run, reel some more.
    Here, let me help.

    Your first, itís a beauty.
    Can I keep him? No, we have to let him go.
    Why?
    So another boy can have a chance.
    Thanks Pop.
    No thank you.
    God! The love that one can feel for one's blessed little ones! The joy of watching their joy and pride in their accomplishments.

    Thanks for this.

  4. #4
    Ruadh gu brath ampoule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    From the mountains to the prairies to the oceans white with foam
    Posts
    2,742
    Blog Entries
    67
    How quickly these poems slip away. I found this on page 2!! And it was only written yesterday. It is so sweet, the picture of father and son standing in a river. Of course, I have images of A River Runs Through It which I hope you don't mind my mentioning.
    I once heard a man 'teaching' his son to work on a car and it was horrible. He yelled terrible things at the boy for not knowing a particular tool that he was asking for. So your poem is even more beautiful for the quiet way you taught your son about the thing you love.
    I'm in love with The Vinegar Man and Mr. Tanner, but be careful, it could just as easily be you.

    "If you're going to write you better have somewhere to come from." Flannery O'Connor

  5. #5
    Registered User nwtasane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6
    Killing. No death no poetry.
    Last edited by nwtasane; 08-13-2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: typo

  6. #6
    Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mountains, SW VA
    Posts
    21,240
    Blog Entries
    133
    Memories can be captured in things besides pictures as Poppy has shown...



    Pen
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

  7. #7
    Registered User Granny5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Beautiful Ozark Mountains
    Posts
    1,674
    Blog Entries
    84
    It's a beautiful poem, Poppy. Makes me remember my Papa and fishing with him. Thanks for sharing.
    Avatar by Pendragon
    "All we are saying is give PEACE a chance." Beatles[/SIZE]
    Granny5's Blog
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...p?userid=35805

  8. #8
    Diary of a Troutbum Poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    228
    Thanks everyone for your nice comments. Its encouraging for this novice.

  9. #9
    solid motherhubbard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,574
    Blog Entries
    157
    I love this poem the best, Pop. I think it shows how gentle and patient you are, and you really are. When I called my sister and read it to her I had to stop because I was crying so hard. I think the imagery and the look shared between the two of you at the end are just beautiful.

  10. #10
    Diary of a Troutbum Poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by motherhubbard View Post
    I love this poem the best, Pop. I think it shows how gentle and patient you are, and you really are. When I called my sister and read it to her I had to stop because I was crying so hard. I think the imagery and the look shared between the two of you at the end are just beautiful.
    And at the same time MH, I hope it speaks for all kids...(not just the 5), that this big old planet has alot more to offer, actually much more. than what technology provides today. How simple it would be without the distractions of everyday convenience; tv, cell phones, I-pods and even fast cars and the internet, and children instead enjoyed a big dirt pile playing cowboys and indians.

  11. #11
    feathers firefangled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Florida near Tampa Bay
    Posts
    3,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    And at the same time MH, I hope it speaks for all kids...(not just the 5), that this big old planet has alot more to offer, actually much more. than what technology provides today. How simple it would be without the distractions of everyday convenience; tv, cell phones, I-pods and even fast cars and the internet, and children instead enjoyed a big dirt pile playing cowboys and indians.

    My Uncle Jack used to take me to the Scioto River to catch catfish and crappie. He was just this patient with me and I know I drove him crazy with my lack of it then. Now, hardly a month goes by (and it has been over 50 years) that something doesn't make me thank him for teaching me to wait before I act. Wonderful poem, Poppy.

Similar Threads

  1. Ask A Stupid Question, Get A Stupid Answer
    By Poetess in forum Forum Games
    Replies: 4207
    Last Post: 07-09-2016, 07:51 PM
  2. Two Literary Sojourns
    By starrwriter in forum General Literature
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2005, 07:55 PM
  3. My wonderful day!
    By wanderlust_ox in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 01:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •