Thread: a bit confused

Two plus two is CHICKEN!! Weisinheimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

a bit confused

I just read much ado a few days ago. This is the only Shakespeare I've read. I hope to read more soon. I found it a little difficult, but I think I pretty much knew what was going on most of the time. But I'm still not sure why Don John wanted to break up the wedding between Hero and Claudio. Did he just not like Claudio? Can someone help me out?
    Calvin: You can’t just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

Hobbes: What mood is that?

Calvin: Last-minute panic.

He's just mean. I don't think he had any real reason for breaking up the marriage. But then he does hate his brother, and his brother is friends with Claudio, so maybe he was trying to get back at his brother for something....hmm. Well, as you can see I'm almost as clueless as you are. Hope I helped a little, though!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Lauren. That did help.
    Calvin: You can’t just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

He's the stereotypical bad guy. Seems to be depressed and moody all of the time and delights in bringing everyone else into his misery. Really, I think he just wants to cause mischief and trouble wherever he can, especially since the whole marriage also involves his brother's favourite (jealous, maybe?) and offers a chance to attack Don Pedro too.

Another explanation I got (and this could be completely wrong) was that Don Pedro and Don John may have been in the wars against each other, and having been beaten Don John is brought back. I think Leonato talks somewhere of their "reconciliation" but really, Pedro just wants to keep an eye on his brother and is keeping him close to make sure he doesn't stir up any trouble. Don John manages to anyway, though

I've recently been writing an essay about the characters in Much Ado About Nothing for English and I've covered Don John, so I'll try to help you as much as I can.

Don John led a rebellion against his brother, Don Pedro, before the start of the play (in the play they have reconciled but the relationship between them is still strained). Claudio also fought against Don John alongside Don Pedro and Don John resents him for this. He says at one point 'that young start-up hath all the glory of my overthrow'. He wants revenge on Claudio for this so he decides to dishonour him and make him lose out on the property and money that Hero will inherit when Leonato dies.

He is also a misogynist (hates women) and doesn't really understand the concept of love. When Borachio informs him that he knows of 'an intended marriage', Don John replies 'what is he for a fool that betroths himself to unquietness?' showing his general disdain for women. Maybe because he's been looked down on all his life as his parents weren't married (considered improper in those days), he is bitter towards love and marriage in general.

Hope this helps ^_^

Blog Entries
    I think he may have been jealous of the brotherly relationship his own brother had with Claudio and he just didnt want to see him happy.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

All in all, Don John is just a mean and spiteful person.
    I actually play Don John right now but in a female version, GIANNA!

the character is a bastard and doesn't want anyone happy.
    there really isnt any reason just to be mean.

Smile

hello... hey .. i've been reading much ado about nothing recently aswell for my SATs and was stressing out but it is like the best play ever.... i just needed some help do any of you know any good websites to visit excluding sparknotes to get more information about much ado about nothing?
    thankyou btw!

You have to keep in mind that in this time period, rivalry between brothers was a common theme. In most cases, the entire estate of the father is passed to the eldest brother. So, Don John was probably jealous of his brother's position and authority. And since Claudio was so highly esteemed by Don Pedro, he was also (albiet subconciously perhaps) jealous of Claudio.
    Last edited by jaymrobinson; 05-15-2008 at 06:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    I guess I didn't realize that don John was a bit bitter against Claudio cuz he was tight w/ Don Pedro. But basically the consensus is that Don John is just a big jerk. Great, thanks everybody.

Little Miss Ballerina :) Little_Miss_:)'s Avatar
    Are Don John and Don Pedro actually brothers?? I thought they just called them that because they were newly reconciled.

Although I agree with most of what's above. Don John is just a 'bad' guy. He has no reason to try and break up the marriage or to make everyone unhappy, but that's just what he is like.
    Little_Miss_Ballerina