Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Students: most required summer reading you have done?

plz O plz put it away!!1 ucdawg12's Avatar

Students: most required summer reading you have done?

Well, up until this year I have never had to read much during the summer, I usually left it til the last few days and banged it out than, but this summer I will have to take a different approach. For my AP English 4 class next year I need to read: Snow falling on Cedars, Crime and Punishment and Poisonwood Bible, total page number of the 3 is 1520 lol, keep in mind it took me just about 5 months to read Moby-Dick(500pages) which I actually enjoyed. Anyone else ever have a large amount of reading that they got done\will need to get done?
    "O God, thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."

WHOA! Those are some books. How can they expect to teach a love of reading if you're forced into so much of it? Everyone in my school had to read two books each summer, and could choose between a test or writing a journal while they read them. The test counted for 4 credits out of 140 to graduate, but most kids had way over 140 at graduation anyway, so it wasn't strictly necessary. Anyway, each grade had a list of about 12 books to choose from, so they didn't both have to be biggies. I disapprove of mandatory summer reading though. Even I detested whatever they made me read, just because it was an assignment -- and I adore reading.

P.S. -- Moby Dick is a slow read. I don't think other books would take as long per page.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

I don't have that and thank god...

i hve animal farm,of mice and men and a tale of two cities

I never had required summer reading but one semester I took a modern fiction class. We were required to read 12 novels and write 4-5 page papers on each. They were:
    Thus Spake Zarathustra
    Steppenwolf
    The Stranger
    The Little Prince
    Women in Love
    The Sibyl
    The Sound and the Fury
    Confederacy of Dunces (The only one I was able to pick)
    The Natural
    Look Homeward, Angel
    The Big Sleep
    The House on Coliseum Street

We were also required to read any contemporary book and write a 15 page paper on it or we could read a contemporary novel and an older novel that he chose and write a 10 page comparison paper. I chose the first one and read Sophie's World and wrote the 15 pages.

By the end of that semester I did not want to read anything anymore. That was the first time that I actually went through the break between semesters without reading a single book.

fated loafer
    I thought the Confederacy of Dunces wasn't all it was cracked up to be, I didn't find it that hilarious.

Confederacy of Dunces was great, though I don't know if I'd venture to call it hilarious. Parts of it are pretty funny, but on the whole it was pretty sad. Or so I thought, anyways. I got especially irritated with the meddlesome rich wife. I don't think I've ever had a character in a book grate on my nerves like she did.
    At any rate, I doubt there'd be a Comic Book Guy on The Simpsons without an Ignatius J. Reilly, so it's a double winner in my book.

My husband actually loves that book. It's one of three books that I reccomended to him that he actually read (he prefers magazines, especially car magazines).
    He surprised me and actually read it twice.
    He related to the characters, especially since it is based in New Orleans, where he is from, so he understood things a little better. But I still can't walk passed a Lucky Dog stand without thinking about Ignatius.

Dying in AP English :) softball336's Avatar
    Last summer i read Invisible Man (about racism, not a man who turns invisible. Yes, I was very disappointed) and A Prayer for Owen Meany, which i LOVED. It was an awesome book about friends and about life. If you've ever seen the movie Simon Birch, it's based (loosely) on this novel. I couldn't pick between them because i like the book and movie for very different reasons.

Albano Laziale, Italy / Pennsylvania, USA
    Blog Entries
    just Pride and Prejudice and Utopia for us - they're making up for this year during school, when we had to read the Odyssey, Iliad, and the Bible (among a lot of others). the bible may be a great religious text, but reading it as literature is like slogging through mud!

Well I guess I don't have anything to complain about. This year we only had to read The Scarlet Letter and The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber by Hemingway. Last year we had Of Mice and Men, A Seperate Peace, and Oedipus Rex. I feel spoiled now. Good luck to all of you with huge reading lists. <><
    <>< “They may think I’m weird. They may think I’m fascinating. But I don’t really care. My life is God’s . I’ve crossed the line from innocent bystander to hard-core participant in what Jesus has called me to do.” - Michael Tait ><>

Blog Entries
    In the summer before my senior year of high school I think I was required to read (for about three classes?):

The Turn of the Screw
    Oliver Twist
    The Prince
    Hardball
    The Canterbury Tales
    a French Revolution non-fiction book, don't remember the name
    one other, don't remember

Each had to have a couple-page report on it, and for government class I think the report had to be ten pages. :P
    '...A cast of your skull, sir, until the original is available, would be an ornament to any anthropological museum. It is not my intention to be fulsome, but I confess that I covet your skull.' --Dr. Mortimer, The Hound of the Baskervilles

Politically incorrect? No Zarathustra's Avatar
    I'm only a sixth form student (for those of you who live in America, here in the UK 11-16 is high school where we get 10 GCSEs, 16-18 is collage/sixth-form where we get 3-4 A-Levels & beyond that is university) studying English Lit., Mathematics, Psychology & Biology so I don't have to do a lot of reading. I had to read Larkin's The Whitsun Weddings, Shakespeare's The Tempest, Chaucer & finally Raymond Carver's Short Cuts (which I'd read already); & that isn't a great deal. I also have to 'read as much post 1914 prose as I can' because for the A2 course we need to decide on something to write 3000 words on. I'm going to do Ishmael, probably. I would do Thus Spoke Zarathustra, but I can't remember when Nietzsche was around and I suspect it was before 1914. Also, we might not be able to do translated texts (haven't checked).
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 03-16-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Albano Laziale, Italy / Pennsylvania, USA
    Blog Entries
    hey, for you people who had to read the Canturbury tales - are they good? we just started them, and i'm having a hard time because i don't really understand Middle English. : )

Lover of all things epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra
    I can't remember when Nietzsche was around and I suspect it was before 1914. Also, we might not be able to do translated texts (haven't checked).
    I'm fairly sure that Nietzsche died in 1900, his last writings were in the late 1880s.
    "Haunt me, take any form. Only, do not leave me in this abyss where I cannot find you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast