Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Reading

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley

Thumbs up Speed Reading

Do any of you guys speed read? I'm reading "The Speed Reading Book" by Tony Buzan and it's increadible. When I started I was horrified to discover that my reading speed was right around 155 wpm. I'm about half way through and I'm going at about 700 wpm now. The goal of the book is to have you at 1000 wpm. Its already totally changed/revolutionized the way I look at a paragraph, a page, and an entire book.
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

Ever Benevolent and Wise
    Really? Does it help you absorb what you're reading though? It depends on how I'm feeling, and like, right now I've got pneumonia, so I'm feverish and stuff, and I can barely read a paragraph and not have to start over... Likewise when I'm depressed.

My ability to recall information is dodgy, so I find that reading slower , and I'm notorious for pencilling all over books to underline things I want to refer back to, are really my best bets for reading and comprehension in the first place.

"Thanks to a speed reading course, I was able to read Crime & Punishment in 10 minutes. I believe it said something about Russia..."
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

i used to speed read. then i hit 19/20 yrs old, read some really deep stuff that i couldn't absorb at one gasp, and it slowed me way down. i still read fast, but it took about 5 years before i noticed a change back, and it's not as phenom as before.

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    Originally posted by den
    Really? Does it help you absorb what you're reading though?
    The book that I'm useing has speed + comprehension tests in it. At first, when my speed was 155 wpm my comprehension and recall was 77%. Then when I first started speed reading it dropped to about 60%, but one day I was doing it and somthing just clicked and my next test was 80%. So my comprehension has actually gone UP since I started speedreading.
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

...my guess, den, is that i've always read fast precisely because of interest in the text. and when interested, how can absorption fail to follow? if i don't like a book i don't mire through it though; i leave it either completely or for another day/in some cases, a more appreciative state of consciousness (on the road, for example).

Thumbs up very interesting

Actually I've read a couple of books on this subject. One in English [Effective Reading, a Teach Yourself book] and the other in French [Lecture Rapide published by Éditions Marabout].

The speed of your reading must vary with the type of material at hand: if it's, say, news in the morning paper then you can do up to 1500 wpm with comprehension very close to that of the ordinary reader. For literary texts you must definitely slow down to enjoy the book and get the same degree of understanding. As for scientific material, you practically can't do it any faster than 200 wpm.

But, after all, it's a skill you MUST learn; you'll be amazed how it improves BOTH the speed and the efficiency of your reading.
    All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. (G. Orwell)

Quote Originally Posted by crisaor
    "Thanks to a speed reading course, I was able to read Crime & Punishment in 10 minutes. I believe it said something about Russia..."
    hilarious!!

I did a little test online (amazing the things you can test yourself on) and I have a reading rate of 450 wpm with a comprehension of 65%, the average reader has a reading rate of roughly 250 wpm with comprehension 60%. There are a number of tests online if you guys are interested.

I tend to read parts of dickens novels very fast. But thats because he takes pages and pages to write about the smallest thing, like a cow mooing.

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar
    oooh..online links please!
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

no i dont dont speed read, i cant conprehend it that way.

no i dont dont speed read

A speed reading course in high school changed my whole life. Before that, I was such a slow reader I never read any serious books. I think students should be tested in grade school and given a speed reading course if they need it.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    hehe I ont know if its called speed reading but my average for a novel/ "fun" book is 118 pages in 40 minutes. pretty much the same for things like Jane Austen but if we get into the more complicated literature I tend to slow down some too absore things especialy if all the names are shaped the same.

My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

I complete a 220 page Agatha Christie mystery in around 1.5 to 3 hours, depending on my enthusiasm and involvement in the book. I have found out that If I am REALLY engrossed in the plot, my speed slackens as the mind starts wandering around and exploring the myraid thoughts that spring up about the story.

~Jessica~

Exclamation

ahhh speed reading... junior high flash backs! i remember i would wait until the night before a test and try to pull off reading like half a book... i was very confused.. and failed many tests! if only i knew there was a book to speed up this reading! where did you find this book???
    ~Jessica~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast