Page 595 of 597 FirstFirst ... 95495545585590591592593594595596597 LastLast
Results 8,911 to 8,925 of 8955

Thread: What are u reading right now?

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Jorge Amado has written some interesting novels. He is more universally known than Machado, but Machado is possibly the greatest Brazilian author.
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    Jorge Amado has written some interesting novels. He is more universally known than Machado, but Machado is possibly the greatest Brazilian author.
    I prefer Machado de Assis, definitely!

Civilization and its discontents, by Freud.
    Lively stuff! Written by a great stylist. Semblances of Nietzsche. Definitely going to read his other works too.

Reading "Submerged Morning" by Vergílio Ferreira.

Cicero's Orations, what a slick bastard he was.

Reading "Disgrace", by Coetzee.

Currently reading "The Book of Disquiet", by Fernando Pessoa.

Kesey -- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Re-reading after decades and because it's one of the choices I gave my 11th graders to read:
    "They're out there. Black boys in white suits up before me to commit sex acts in the hall and get it mopped up before I can catch them."
    220 ish
    Reading it again is like reading an entirely different book, and this one is blowing my mind. I always liked the book, but it's making a bid my top-five all time list. Freaking amazing. Powerful -- practically every page is making me either laugh or cringe or just make sounds that I can't describe.

I'm guessing many of us in here are like that -- reading several books at a time. I'm reading the Bible, Frank Sheed's Theology and Sanity, Jonathan Kellerman (for the helluva-it), Cuckoo's Nest, Hemingway's collected works; that seems to be about the norm for me. Best to ya

Re. Faulkner: Soldiers have an expression, "in the ****," for finding themselves in a firefight or in the heat and chaos of killing and dying or just not knowing what the hell is going on. This is the best analogy I've ever found to the experience of reading Faulkner; you are in the heart and soul of life and its two sides -- this one and the beyond. He is putting us into something so primal, atavistic and eternal at the same time -- it can be overwhelming, to say the least.

I am about to finish Yuval Noah Harari's book "Homo Deus". I can only recommend you to read chapter 3 if you are already an atheist.
    Two thirds of this book is merely a repetition of what former renowned writers have already elaborated upon these topics, but the final
    part opened up my eyes about as to what Humanity (Homo Sapiens Sapiens) will be split into in the not too distant future if this trajecture
    portrayed will become reality. Maybe some say this is popular science, maybe one day this is history in the making. I could not find a former
    post discussing this book, unfortunately. Maybe it is deemed not intellectual enough.

1 - The Amazing Adventures Of Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon

2 - I read a couple of his other books (Gentlemen of the Road, and The Yiddish Policemen's Union) and had a great time, so, here I go again.

3 - In later years, holding forth to an interviewer or to an audience of aging fans at a comic book convention, Sam Cay liked to declare, apropos of his and Joe Kavalier's greatest creation, that back when he was boy, sealed and hog-tied inside the airtight vessel known as Brooklyn, New York, he had been haunted by dreams of Harry Houdini.

4 - 176

5 - Oh man! This guy can craft a sentence. He packs a lot into a small space. When I read his books, I just slow down, sit back, and enjoy the ride.
    Some people call me Maurice
    'Cos I speak of the pompatus of love

I've been reading a writer named Shane Levene. He's relatively unknown but has a huge cult following online. To my knowledge he's only published one small book, but has tons of stuff online for free. This guy is going to be one of the future greats of Britiush literature... it's a long time I've not read words like his that make your skin rise. Aside from that I've been revisiting Orwell's work. Boring, I know, but greta writers like him just do it for me every time.

I feel your pain. I too have felt the pain of reading Victor Hugo. Les Miserables was a dreadful journey due to Hugo's fascination with the description of the decor.

Just finished The Sleepwalkers and now reading Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann. I'm just over 200 pages into it and find the story riveting.