Page 598 of 598 FirstFirst ... 98498548588593594595596597598
Results 8,956 to 8,959 of 8959

Thread: What are u reading right now?

heck sancho i havent heard of either of the books in your last two posts!

1. in cold blood by truman capote

2. i read about it in a book about books and was great intrigued.

3. the village of holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western kansas, a lonesome area that other kansans call "out there."

4. 181 of 343.

5. the book is saddening, but well written. the work the author put into it is incredibly impressive and it shows.

Hey, Bounty. While those two books were both good, my most recent read was far superior (IMHO):

1. Good Morning, Midnight, by Lily Brooks-Dalton

2. It was sitting on one of those tables they have out front at Powell’s City of Books in Portland, and it grabbed me, and it said to me (pleaded really), “Yo, Sanchito! Read me, you gumbah.” So I did.

3. “When the sun finally returned to the Arctic Circle and stained the gray sky with blazing streaks of pink, Augustine was outside, waiting.”

4. 253. Okay, so, I just finished it. Does it still qualify for this thread?

5. An inscription on the front cover, attributed to the Washington Post, says that it was beautifully written, which is one of those over-used phrases I hate so much that it usually disqualifies a book for purchase by El Sancho, but in this case... I have to admit, this book was - Gorgeously Written.
    Some people call me Maurice
    'Cos I speak of the pompatus of love

im a big fan of sea adventures sancho so i'll keep my eyes peeled. in that regard, "heart of the sea: the story of the whaleship essex" by phibrick. very compelling book.

have you read anything ever about the shackleton expedition?

and of course the genesis of my screen name, mutiny on the bounty!

Well ... Uhhh ... Ahem ... The North Water ... while it is a rollicking 19 century sea tale, it certainly isnít an uplifting tale. It doesnít so much plumb the depths of human depravity as it sounds those depths. You wonít find an Ernest Shackleton on the crew of the whaling ship Volunteer. Itís more Cormack McCarthy than Herman Melville. Even though things didnít end well for those on the whale ship Essex, they at least were trying to do the right thing. In fact as I was reading The North Water, I thought of Heart of the Sea. You see, Captain Brownlee of the Volunteer had lost his ship in a previous voyage just as Captain Pollard lost the Essex. Both men were given a second command, which of course was a leap of faith for the investors, but now Iíll say no more because that gets to the heart of the tale.

I did read Alfred Lansingís Endurance: Shackletonís Incredible Voyage. I know there are recent books about Ernest Shackleton, but thatís the only one Iíve read. Hereís a cool tie-in: I think one of our members is a relative of Shackleton, (either prendrelemick or paulclem, I canít remember which one. Anyhow itís one of them British dudes).

Nathaniel Philbrick is responsible for getting El Sancho reading histories again. Iíve read Mayflower, and The Last Stand. I havenít read Valiant Ambition yet, but itís on my bookshelf, waiting.

Hey, hereís one you might like: Blue Latitudes, by Tony Horowitz. Itís a nonfiction book where the writer sort of sails along in the wake of Captain Cookís three Pacific voyages. Great fun. Donít think Iím spoiling anything here, it ends badly for El Capitan.

Presently reading:

1 Human Acts, by Han Kang

2 As with my previous read, it was on a table at Powellís, and when El Sancho makes the trek to Powellís he doesnít buy just one book - he buys a grocery-sack full. With this one, I was taken with the cover art: thereís what looks like a Magpie standing atop a human rib cage with ginkgo leaves fluttering about. So I was thinkiní - whatís this all about? I must know.

3 ďLooks like rain,Ē you mutter to yourself.

4 49 of 212

5 I need to get back to it. Itís got its hooks in me now. Iím fascinated. Itís a novel that delves into the human and spiritual side of the Gwangju Uprising in South Korea in 1980. Itís translated from Korean by a British translator, and hence it comes to my American ears through two filters. I sense I may be missing some of the richness of Kangís language
    Some people call me Maurice
    'Cos I speak of the pompatus of love