Page 599 of 599 FirstFirst ... 99499549589594595596597598599
Results 8,971 to 8,982 of 8982

Thread: What are u reading right now?

A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters by Julian Barnes. I've taken quite a liking to Barnes in the last months.

"Journey to the Centre of the Earth" by Jules Verne and "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens. I am halfway through but so far I enjoy them greatly.

Princess and the Goblin

War and Peace

Lolita

Princess and the Goblin

War and Peace

Lolita

Red face

1. The Divine Comedy (Paradise) by Dante Aligheri
    2. Initially recommended by my dad few years ago
    3. 'The glory of Him who moves all things soe'er / Impenetrates the universe, and bright/ The splendour burns, more here and lesser there.'
    4. I'm on Canto XXII, p.249 in my book but it includes commentaries
    5. Absolutely a masterpiece, third time re-reading it and I still can't fully grasp the imageries and allegories in it

On my recent backpacking trip I read:

The Sweet Science by A.J. Liebling -- This was listed as the best sports book of the 20th century in a Sports Illustrated ranking. It's certainly worth reading if you're a sports fan. My favorite parts are when Liebling quotes Pierce Egan, who wrote books (Boxiana) about boxing in early 19th century England. I haven't been able to track down Egan's books.

Goshawk by T.H. White -- Now we know why the Wart tried to track down a trained hawk and thus discovered Merlin (a species of hawk) in "The Once and Future King".

Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow -- Eugene Henderson is a fabulous romantic hero who rides in roller coasters with bears and produces rain in dry seasons. He's a comic figure, whose misadventures are reminiscent of Don Quixote's. Some of his adventures border on magical realism, but they're more real than magical, and Henderson's lust for life keeps the novel moving at breakneck speed.

Death in Venice by Thomas Mann -- I read it because I'm going to Venice in a couple of weeks. Had I known the fabled city was a pestilent, disease ridden, dreary town (except for the beautiful 13-year-old boys), I might have planned differently. Of course Mann's interior drama is well done, but I've always thought that prose fiction is at its best when essentially dramatic, and the utter dearth of dialogue annoyed me (mildly).

Rereading:
    Final Harvest
    EMILY DICKINSON'S
    POEMS

selection and introduction
    by Thomas H. Johnson

(i know: surprise)

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    Enchant Me

Your very being a desire for answer
    Lament not your unassailable mystery
    Enchant me with your dreams

5-14-2005

Blog Entries
    Charles Dickens - David Copperfield.

I've read Great Expectations, Bleak House, A Christmas Carol, A Tale of Two Cities and Oliver Twist.
    My hide hides the heart inside

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Ceo means Chief Electoral Office. Voter Card is must and should for every responsible citizen living in a Telangana state. In Ceo Telangana website anybody want to apply a new voter card online everyone must fill the Form 8 Online Application Form. Actually Form 8 is for Correction of your voter identity card. It is very easy process to apply Voter card correction in https://ceotelangana.in/ official website.

1. Alexandre Dumas: The Count of Monte Cristo
    2. I have been wanting to re-read the book, and my boss/principal said I can teach a fiction class next semester, so I'm going to be teaching it
    3. On the 24th of February, 1815, the watch-tower of Notre-Dame de la Garde signalled the arrival of the three-master Pharaon, from Smyrna, Trieste, and Naples.
    4. 136/605.
    5. This is one of my favorite books simply because it is a theme which I think we see over and over. We also get to see the negative repercussions of Dantes following through on his wish for vengeance as well as just how methodical he really is after 14 years in the Chateau D'if.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Arthur Bryant "Years of Victory."