Page 597 of 597 FirstFirst ... 97497547587592593594595596597
Results 8,941 to 8,949 of 8949

Thread: What are u reading right now?

Mrs Layton: "I'm italian, Umberto Eco was a beloved writer in my country, especially for the book "Il nome della rosa". "

He is well-known and appreciated outside of Italy and "Il nome della rosa" is indeed his most famous novel (the fact that it was made as a movie with Sean Connery and a young Christian Slater might have had something to do with it though...).

I've been binge reading. In the past two weeks I've read:

"The Good Soldier" by Ford Maddox Ford. Written in 1914, this is an early modernist novel. It's a tragic story of adultery and betrayal, told in the first person by an unreliable narrator. The narrator tells his tale fitfully, skipping around in time. The result is like that of an impressionist painting - when you step back and look at the whole, it takes shape. Great novel.

"To the Lighthouse" by Virginia Wolfe. Another early Modernist novel, this tells the homely tale of a family living on the Scottish coast for the summer. Nothing much happens; a brooch is lost, Beef en Daube is served at a dinner party. Then the novel skips ahead ten years -- the key character in the first part has died -- and the other characters reconvene to try to sail out to the lighthouse (which is on an island). Every scene is told from the point of view of a different character, and there is a metaphor in every other sentence. At first, I found this annoying: at one point Wolfe compares a breaking wave to the sudden shattering of broken glass. I thought, "Huh? Why compare the constant and eternal to the ephemeral? Shouldn't a metaphor work the other way around?" The metaphor did work, in the end, because Wolfe wanted to freeze certain moments in time and make them eternal. The Beef en Daube dinner party begins with all the characters thinking about how dull it is. This reader (at least) was beginning to agree with the diners -- but then something happened. Mrs. Ramsey turned on her charm, and suddenly the dinner party was bathed in the glow of, well, a lighthouse (Mrs. Ramsey, like a lighthouse, directs the travelers to safety).

"The Quiet American" by Graham Greene. This is a bit more straightforward, although Greene also skips around in time, so that the reader knows what happens early on in the novel. The remainder of the novel explains how and why. It's well done, and set in Viet Nam during the '50s, when the French were fighting the Viet Mingh. I listened to it while driving, so I may not know how to spell Viet Ming.

"Brideshead Revisited" by Evelyn Waugh. Our narrator Charles is on love with Sebastian Flyte, and then with his sister Julia. Typical British Public School transition, I suppose. It's all very rich and charming, but, since the Flytes are Catholics, we know things are doomed. Is the ancestral home of "Brideshead" so named because, ironically, no brides will ever actually be married out of it?

"All the Light we Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. This recent Pulitzer Prize winner has it all: Nazis, blind-girl heroines, and any number of heart-wrenching scenes. The good-guys are scientists and nature lovers; the Nazis like phrenology. Nonetheless, this is an enjoyable novel, although its grasping for low-hanging fruit makes it seem a bit trivial compared to the previous four novels.
    Last edited by Ecurb; 09-26-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    A bit of a mixture:
    1. The Greeks by H.D.F. Kitto.
    2. The Romans by R.H.Barrow.
    3. The Pursuit of Victory by Roger Knight.

The first two were books that were part of compulsory reading during my university days back in 1963. One had to get through so much, that I basically skimmed and gutted them for the essentials. Now in semi retirement back in the U.K. I find I enjoy them at a more leasurely pace.

The third item is a tome on Nelson, written well with great insight and detail. It even includes details of his mistress, one Adelaide Correglia, an Italian opera singer, prior to Lady Hamilton coming on the scene.

I am reading a book titled "i disagree with you but i still love you" it tackles all debate's matters and how to go through that

I've had a bit of extra time to read, lately. Just finished The Bone Clocks. by David Mitchell, in the middle of The Lovely Bones. by Alice Sebold, and can't wait to read The Three-body Problem. by Cixin Liu.

Life is good.

'Love Between Men in English Literature' by Paul Hammond
    Shakespeare's Sonnets
    'Who Cooked the Last Supper' by Rosalind Miles
    “Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist.
    Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”

G.K. Chesterton

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    The General of the Dead Army: Ismail Kadare

which is quite excellent. Probing, strong inner-monologue

Blog Entries
    Where I Am Calling From: New and Selected Stories ... Raymond Carver

I felt drawn to try the short stories of Carver after reading a thread here regarding the merits of Raymond Carver... I must say that so far so good!
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Then dawns the Invisible Psycheinaboat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    An American Tragedy... <sigh> I am 330 pages in and I don't know exactly how I feel about the book. Clyde Griffiths is an annoying character.
    If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
    - Emma Goldman