Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: June Book: Pride & Prejudice.

Oh, thanks.

Actually it's part of Charlotte's speech. Sorry, it slipped away: "We can all begin freely -- a slight preference is natural enough; but there are very few of us who have heart enough to be really in love without encouragement. In nine cases out of ten, a woman had better shew more affection than she feels. Bingley likes your sister undoubtedly; but he may never do more than like her, if she does not help him on.''

that is very interesting, thinking about it you are right. but one must admit that in 10 cases out of ten, (ok 9 cases out of ten) even men need encouragement. I guess this is something deep in us and it was there even years ago... austen saw it...
    "I always arrive late at the office, but I make up for it by leaving early."
    Charles Lamb.

Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors EVER! I first read Pride and Prejudice in high school and now own every one of her books except northanger abby which I haven't read yet.

Fresh, Fair and Innocent Adelheid's Avatar
    I enjoyed reading Pride and Prejudice very much, and I think it's Austen's greatest work, and I've read all her novels.
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." Romans 10:9-11

Lost Feathers

wow

cannot believe how many people dislike this book, i have always loved it and have read it several times. It was p&p that encouraged me to try reading classics in the first place and it has opened up a whole new world.

I enjoyed reading Pride and Prejudice. Although, there were several predictable elements, I liked it when I first read it and I like it now after I've re-read it.

"Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion."
    I'd rather have questions that I can't answer than answers that I can't question.

l like this book.
    Ti's very interesting and easy to read.
    I recommend it to your !

It is a charmingly written book if you are into these sort of stories, I unfortunately did not find it to be a real page turner and had a little difficulty attentively hanging on to the story line. I am hoping Sense and Sensibility will be better.

Pride and Prejudice is an amazing book by an amazing author. It was the book that opened up the world of classic literature for me; if it weren't for P&P, I would never have discovered the Brontes, Walter Scott, Alexandre Dumas, Henry James, George Eliot, Herman Hesse - the list goes on. I really don't understand how people can't like it! I suppose I am a hopeless romantic, but even so, I wouldn't describe it as a sappy rom-com. Truly one of the greatest novels I ever have and ever will read.

i actually thought not, about darcy telling catherine....maybe i am confused but i thought he seemed as surprised as elizabeth that she knew. i figured perhaps the sister of bingley, as she was the malicious sort, and must have known what was going on. the thing was that few people were aware of the relationship that was developing between lizzie and darcy, so there are only a few suspects. i dont think darcy's sister had it in her to tell anyone, she was too much the meek type to stick her nose in like that.
    maybe i am on the wrong track completely?
    and for some reason the whole thing about appearances bothered the heck out of me. i think that is why i dont care so much for the "victorian society' type novels. sort of like the theme througout "the importance of being earnest" in that it is much more important how things LOOK or appear to be rather than how things actually ARE. i just have a hard time wrapping my head around that shallow attitude. perhaps i am just too liberal and modern to understand it, but when i see that type of thing displayed even now, it just grates my a$$ to the bone.

Du hoc singapore

Oh my preciousss, i just love it and capable to read one and one more time
    I took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart.
    I am. I am. I am.

this book is nice.thanks for that.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345