Thread: What if Ham had saved Steerforth?

What if Ham had saved Steerforth?

Dickens disappointed me in his final treatment of Steerforth, the Murdstones and some others- I think the novel would have had so much more power if Ham had indeed saved Steerforth (although, whether Ham survived or not isn't as interesting as if Steerforth had been saved).
    I finished the novel thinking, "What would George MacDonald have done with Steerforth?"-
    I think Dickens lost out on a grand opportunity for a powerful redemption story--

And what would you have done with the Murdstones?
    "Par instants je suis le Pauvre Navire
    [...] Par instants je meurs la mort du Pecheur
    [...] O mais! par instants"

--"Birds in the Night" by Paul Verlaine (1844-1896). Join the discussion here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...5&goto=newpost

The Murdstones - hmm. A happy ending for them would be hard to conceive of- I'm just so used to reading MacDonald that he would have found some way for them to have repented and have redeemd themselves--

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford Wannabe View Post
    The Murdstones - hmm. A happy ending for them would be hard to conceive of- I'm just so used to reading MacDonald that he would have found some way for them to have repented and have redeemd themselves--
    Oh but that is the beauty of life... that's why we go about in life wondering about the "what ifs".

By the way, I had the opportunity to watch the film adaptation of David Copperfield the other day. I really liked it. Thought the guy who played Copperfield did a very good job.

He could have gone for a cheesy redemption but decided to go for the tragic, good choice if you ask me.

Does anyone wanna add me as a friend??? WOW, D.C. is an awesome book, I felt sad that Ham died, but was happy that Steerforth did. It would have been cool if he had been saved, that way there would be more tension between everyone. Im 14 goin on 15, and livin in Canada, anyone wanna befriend me?
    ||~~||Alexa||~~||

Ham save Steerforth? Never! The tragic irony of Ham losing his life trying to save the one who had destroyed his world is almost too perfect. Moreover, had he been successful in saving Steerforth, upon realizing who it was he had saved, I'm sure he'd have beaten him to death with the nearest rock.

I have to agree with Glen. It was a masterpiece, that chapter. In fact Leo Tolstoy quoted that chapter as the 'mark of which all literature should be judged by'.
    The Biblical irony of a man laying down his life not only for his friend, but for an enemy is overpowering and proves the character of Ham. I believe that Ham would wish no ill toward Steerforth, however, and he, being a calm, vitreous man would most likely have forgiven him; should he discover who it was he was saving.
    There is, even, the possibility that on his first attempt to save Steerforth, he was able to get a closer look (this is speculation) and even recognize James.
    A cheesy redemption would make the book dull, rather than gripping. I suggest you read Jane Eyre, and note Jane's Aunt's inability to reconcile with Jane even at the point of death.

I like steerforth dead. Thank you