Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: how did you get to know your partner?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • in a relationship, got to know my partner throught "dating"/flirting (didn't know each other before)

0 0%
  • not in a relationship but "looking", use "dating" strangers to find a long-term partner

0 0%
  • I'm in a relationship and we met at work/school/univ/sports club etc

2 8.00%
  • I'm in a relationship and we met through mutual friends

2 8.00%
  • I'm married and we met through dating

0 0%
  • I'm married and we met through work/school/univ etc

6 24.00%
  • I'm married and we met through mutual friends

1 4.00%
  • arranged marriage

0 0%
  • single and not looking

11 44.00%
  • other

3 12.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Dating" - how does it work?

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Dating" - how does it work?

i read some very amusing dating tips in the German edition of GLAMOUR last week..
    the idea of "dating" has always been and remains a complete mystery to me.
    the situations described in GLAMOUR dealt with random strangers chatting each other up at parties/clubs/pubs and go steady after that.

I've been wondering how wide-spread this pattern actually is, i.e. how many people actually get to know their long-term partners this way.

your votes will be invisible, but feel free to share your stories if they're not too embarrassing

I met my boyfriend at univ (Geography seminar, :yawn and through a mutual friend.. in reversed order
    Last edited by SleepyWitch; 07-17-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Dating??? What's that?... Seriously....

Blog Entries
    Are you really asking that Debra?! I meet my last boyfriend on detention. at school. He turned out to be into the dark arts (read satanism) so we broke up. end of story.
    Shall these bones live?

Oooh! Good for you Bakiryu....you really don't need that in your life....and I hope your friend finds a way out of it before it's too late...

Naw...met my ex at a new church I had started going to...few months later got married...18 years later got divorced...no dates...15 years later...no dates....but it's OK...I think I'd rather have a romantic adventure...lots of action,mystery,suspence,strange men wearing masks.... & fun...than a boring date anyway.....it's a good thing I like to read...but if I wrote a book about/for myself...Debrasuzanne in Adventureland?...LOL!
    Last edited by Debrasue; 07-17-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling...always the spelling...why?

Blog Entries
    Dating sucks. I am so glad I don't have to do that anymore.

The first time I saw my husband he was driving in the parking lot of the place we worked and I thought to myself that he looked very nice (as in, he looked like a nice guy)

Then later I was on a smoke break and I was talking to some girl that worked there also --- we were discussing the creep I was seeing at the time we both agreed that I should get out of that situation, and I kind of mentioned to her that I thought my future husband looked good (or whatever it was I said back then --- I am not sure if I referred to him as hot or cute or what). Then this girl went and told him that he should ask me out, and he did, but not after asking me for some plastic gloves (so that he could clean the loo or whatever his little job was) and asking me to used the sink so that he could fill up the cooler. (I sliced meat in the deli and he cleaned and fetched water I think).

And then we "dated" or "went out" although we never really went anywhere. We hung around at his house or mine and watched movies or went to grab food but we never had one of those stupid, awkward dinner/movie dates. We just enjoyed each other's company for about 9-10 years and then decided to get married. And here we are.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Blog Entries
    My first boyfriend I met at a party for the last day of school...it turned out bad, but hey. I was only there because I had a crush on his friend, who turned out to be a jerk...but I ended up dating him, and he turned out to be a jerk.

Currently, I thought I was in a relationship, but appearantly we are just 'dating'...so I guess that means we are free to see other people at the same time. Whatever that means! Grr...its cool though.

I just hope that once I move, it will be easier to meet new people...everyone already has their friends/groups etc. not only in the dating scene either.

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    I shouldnt give any advice regarding relationships. I have a pretty awful track record regarding relationships, they all end up the same way - complaints about me being one of either: cold/distant/uncaring
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted exile View Post
    I shouldnt give any advice regarding relationships. I have a pretty awful track record regarding relationships, they all end up the same way - complaints about me being one of either: cold/distant/uncaring
    Well, its okay...my friends say I should stop...I have a track record of dating Bad guys...no bueno.

Blog Entries
    I have no idea how this thing works. But, I was just talking to my brother, who lives in the US now, and he has a friend from there, who has had 30 girl-friends , and I was like... WHAT?!!! REALLY??!! This guys must be in his early 20's or maybe mid 20's, and he already has had so many relationships. I was thinking..Don't people need time to get over a relation, before starting a new one? I just could not understand his psyche. I have not seen such relations here, atleast. I mean, 30?? I was a bit surprised.
    Charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.

Be the change you wish to see

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Madhuri View Post
    I have no idea how this thing works. But, I was just talking to my brother, who lives in the US now, and he has a friend from there, who has had 30 girl-friends , and I was like... WHAT?!!! REALLY??!! This guys must be in his early 20's or maybe mid 20's, and he already has had so many relationships. I was thinking..Don't people need time to get over a relation, before starting a new one? I just could not understand his psyche. I have not seen such relations here, atleast. I mean, 30?? I was a bit surprised.
    Maybe he doesn't like them? I know that I really didn't like my first boyfriend...or at least I didn't after I broke up with him. I think it was more of a loneliness type thing. My friends were gone or dating each other...blah blah blah. But I didn't really need anytime to get over him. Although I haven't had that many relationships. Or maybe he is just a player...I dunno. But not everyone here has had that many relationships.

I had a friend who had around 30 gfs around at the age of 18. Because he was handsome and stupid.

I am not surprised either I have two friends (male) who are both handsome and very clever...and naughty. The first of them is about 30 and has dated so many women.. i have stopped the counting And every time he introduces me to one of his "victims" i don't even pay attention to her name.
    Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chance out between two worlds
    'Fire walk with me.'

Twin Peaks

Somewhere following my genetic imperative playing Chutes and Ladders with Time.
    Blog Entries
    Iono?!?!?! D: No experience whatsoever.

I guess you just kind of...meet the right person?

Tomorrow always holds the promise of something new and exciting. I am the Jetsons meet the Flintstones.

Blog Entries
    It's been over 33 years since I dated! I was a single mother and met my husband while I was working at a resturant near the Universary he attended. I was his waitress. When he was leaving he asked if I's like to go to a party with him. Of course, I said no. He continued to come by while I was working and drink coffee and stare at me. He called me at work just about every night I was there. I refused to give him my phone number or tell him where I lived. Since he was doing radio news at the time I had my mother listen to him. She liked his voice and has this picture of what he would look like. She really thought I should go out with him even though she had never met or even seen him. This was very unusual for my mom. Anyway, the two of them wore me down and I finally met him for dinner. I took my 13 month daughter with me. He gave the appearance that this was a normal thing to do, deal with a small child while getting to know someone and having dinner. My daughter took to him like she had known him all her life and she was/is a very good judge of people. Anyway, I allowed him to take us home, well to my mother's home anyway. He kissed me goodnight. I told my mother that I was going to marry him based on that one kiss. It was magic and it still is magic. I don't know if I believe in love at first sight or first kiss, but in my case I knew that he was the life mate for me. Maybe it was preordianed. I don't know. I just know that it was right. I believe that my mother knew somehow that he was the right one. Or maybe she just loved his voice?
    Anyway, it was the best decission I ever made. He's a good guy most of the time.
    "All we are saying is give PEACE a chance." Beatles[/SIZE]
    Granny5's Blog
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...p?userid=35805

Blog Entries
    I cannot relate I cannot relate! *runs in circles*
    Dreams! adorations! illuminations! religions!
    the whole boatload of sensitive !

— Allen Ginsberg, Howl II.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast