Thread: Eveline

fairies also read^^ Mrs. Dalloway's Avatar

Eveline

I read the story some weeks ago and I want to know your opinion!

What's the significance of the story? May be religion a topic of the story? I'm curious...

And what's the meaning of "Derevaun Seraun"? Is it Gaelic?
    "De primer van foradar-me les orelles
    i de llavors ençà duc arracades.
    No prengueu aquest bosc per una alzina."

Maria Mercè Marçal

i guess for the meaning you have got to read the annotated notes in your book---but no editor says for sure what that means

for meaning, you can relate to other stories as well---
    i wish i could be more helpful

Quote Originally Posted by oscar wild View Post
    i guess for the meaning you have got to read the annotated notes in your book---but no editor says for sure what that means

for meaning, you can relate to other stories as well---
    i wish i could be more helpful
    I read it in Internet so there weren't any notes hehe

Maria Mercè Marçal

i see, usually the online text has little disadvantage is that readers dont know the editions,

say, the sisters cos there are two versions, one published earlier one later edited by the author joyce

i guess if you dont want to buy a james joyce, still you could read the article in wikipedia, that provides good guide

the other way being a little research in a public library
    i recommend the oxford edition over the penguin one===the introduction in penguin is aweful, it gave too much attention to historical periods and politics in ireland in that time

if you later on find out you like joyce or simply admire him as the greatest writer of the century, just boy his works---he did not have massive literary output as that of charles dickens; ulyssess, finnigans wake and the portrait of an artist as a young man and dubliners-----thats all he wrote

hope this help more ^6^

Blog Entries
    Derevaun Seraun is gaelic for "The end of pleasure is pain" I believe, I'm not sure thought.
    Shall these bones live?

Thanks! the story makes more sense with this translation!

"Oscar wild", I bought some books of Joyce but the one that includes Eveline. So, it is not that "I don't want" to buy his works but honestly I love reading and I can't afford buying all the books I want to read. So I use Internet and the library but then I buy the books if I can! Anyway, thanks a lot for the information

Maria Mercè Marçal

Blog Entries
    You welcome! Glad i could be of help.
    Shall these bones live?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Dalloway View Post

"Oscar wild", I bought some books of Joyce but the one that includes Eveline. So, it is not that "I don't want" to buy his works but honestly I love reading and I can't afford buying all the books I want to read. So I use Internet and the library but then I buy the books if I can! Anyway, thanks a lot for the information
    thats totally understandable, trust me, i do read online sometimes, and thats the good things from the internet

I've studied Irish Gaelic, and here's my take on it that I wrote once.

I have approached this by taking the words and then transliterating them into Irish Gaelic, trying to create Irish Gaelic that would be spoken by someone of this status in this time in Ireland. Nationalist, but not educated enough to actually understand all the ins and outs of the language. I came up with two possible phrases that I find very probable. And I'm not pretending to solve the mystery. If Joyce experts over the years have not discovered the meaning, why should I think I can. But anyways, one: "deireadh saothair." With bad pronunciation, it would wind up a bit like the phrase. It means, with very bad grammar, "the end of pain." The other I've come up with is "deireadh saor." That means "the end of freedom." Both fit very nicely.