Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Come, let us rejoice together

The fire in the stone,
    like a bubble that popped
    in the mind of That Which May Have Been,
    sent out in three-hundred-and sixty
    by three-hundred-and sixty directions
    thought, which is what we know as energy.

And That Which May Have Been
    became That Which Was
    which became That Which Surely Was
    which became That Which Is
    which became That Which Is Mighty and Enduring

which became God
    and El and Allah and Elohim and Shaddai
    and Adonai and Jehovah and Christ
    and truth that was well worth killing for.

For if my god is God
    then I am Godlike
    and mighty
    and if my God is mightier than yours
    then I assuredly am mightier than you!

and kill all the unbelievers!

Jerry Newman © July 10, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceMyshkin View Post
    The fire in the stone,
    like a bubble that popped
    in the mind of That Which May Have Been,
    sent out in three-hundred-and sixty
    by three-hundred-and sixty directions
    thought, which is what we know as energy.

became That Which Was

which became God
    and El and Allah and Elohim and Shaddai
    and Adonai and Jehovah and Christ
    and truth that was well worth killing for.

For if my god is God
    then I am Godlike
    and mighty
    and if my God is mightier than yours
    then I assuredly am mightier than you!

and kill all the unbelievers!

Jerry Newman © July 10, 2007
    Sigh! It is always sad to me that we do not all see one God and not separate from us to be worshiped, but running through us and around us, inseparable from any of us. This is what is written truly in all the books, but it is not meant to be an instrument of rule or dogma. God is what makes us different each from each. We are pieces of God, who will only be whole when we are all one.

Prince, you would enjoy a book of poetry I read years ago called Leaves Without Trees. I will try to find the author.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by firefangled View Post
    Sigh! It is always sad to me that we do not all see one God and not separate from us to be worshiped, but running through us and around us, inseparable from any of us. This is what is written truly in all the books, but it is not meant to be an instrument of rule or dogma. God is what makes us different each from each. We are pieces of God, who will only be whole when we are all one.

Sigh indeed - of course this God chap is not a metaphor to you but I venture to say the very essence of reality, far more real than the keyboard on which you typed this or the fingers with which you typed it but to me 'He' can never be more than a metaphor and I grieve for all the life that we lose when we make elements of it or the whole of it into a metaphor.

Of course it saves time to speak of "God" rather than what I think you mean, something along the lines of What an overwhelming gift and mystery and sometimes terror this living is, this consciousness I have...I pray that I am using it purposefully and well

Blog Entries
    Very sad to me, Prince, first because there is (only some in my opinion) truth to it and also because I think that it makes you sad. I suppose that is a discussion for later. As always you express yourself beautifully.

I love the way this sounds

[B][INDENT]
    became That Which Was

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by motherhubbard View Post
    Very sad to me, Prince, first because there is (only some in my opinion) truth to it and also because I think that it makes you sad. I suppose that is a discussion for later. As always you express yourself beautifully.

I love the way this sounds
    I appreciate your empathy because it is so intrinsic a part of who you are and I am honoured to consider you a friend. And yes, there is sadness (and anger) behind what I wrote but as long as I can vent (and I CAN vent!) neither the sadness nor the anger will weigh me down.

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

It cannot be any more ventful or sorrowful than my Shunned Trilogy, just stronger language. perhaps. Same feelings. I can not condemn. A nice poem.

Pen
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    It cannot be any more ventful or sorrowful than my Shunned Trilogy, just stronger language. perhaps. Same feelings. I can not condemn. A nice poem.

Pen
    In which case I apologize for my obtuseness re your Trilogy, and thank you.

Blog Entries
    What I like best about the poem is the poetics. I like the way the rhythm works. I said it aloud to myself a few time and there is a chant-like quality to the lines that seems to be developing. I also like the way the consonants work. There is a kind of harshness to the sound of some likes that counter acts the chant quality. The dissonance of that is really cool. It fits the developing insanity/rage that the poem leads to be the end.

I admire this ability, to work the words, the sounds, the rhythm all together to weave a kind of sound-spell to create an emotional world to inhabit. Feelings are in the end what teaches us the most about being alive.
    I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.

Sigh indeed - of course this God chap is not a metaphor to you but I venture to say the very essence of reality, far more real than the keyboard on which you typed this or the fingers with which you typed it but to me 'He' can never be more than a metaphor and I grieve for all the life that we lose when we make elements of it or the whole of it into a metaphor.

Of course it saves time to speak of "God" rather than what I think you mean, something along the lines of What an overwhelming gift and mystery and sometimes terror this living is, this consciousness I have...I pray that I am using it purposefully and well

That is exactly what I mean! The metaphor that has been constructed is no different than traveling to where the Grand Canyon used to be, to see a giant Disney replica of it and then have wars because Busch Gardens claims to have a better, truer replica of what the Grand Canyon looked liked before it was gone.

Your poem is hard to take, but that is the beauty of it. It speaks the truth and it is sad, such a truth must be spoken.

I do not believe any religion can bring a human being face to face with his or her essence. It is a difficult and personal journey.

I have nothing but admiration for the thoughts behind your poem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryLupin View Post
    What I like best about the poem is the poetics. I like the way the rhythm works. I said it aloud to myself a few time and there is a chant-like quality to the lines that seems to be developing. I also like the way the consonants work. There is a kind of harshness to the sound of some likes that counter acts the chant quality. The dissonance of that is really cool. It fits the developing insanity/rage that the poem leads to be the end.

I admire this ability, to work the words, the sounds, the rhythm all together to weave a kind of sound-spell to create an emotional world to inhabit. Feelings are in the end what teaches us the most about being alive.
    Your reaction means a great deal to me because the way a thing is said - whether it is said economically and with grace - is intrinsic to the truthfulness of it, and I was not confident that this worked as a poem: did it flow; did it cohere; was there any element of music in it...

In the end I would prefer a clumsily spoken truth to a prettily expressed half-truth; but of course one always hope to have or to achieve it all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by firefangled View Post
    That is exactly what I mean! The metaphor that has been constructed is no different than traveling to where the Grand Canyon used to be, to see a giant Disney replica of it and then have wars because Busch Gardens claims to have a better, truer replica of what the Grand Canyon looked liked before it was gone.

Your poem is hard to take, but that is the beauty of it. It speaks the truth and it is sad, such a truth must be spoken.

I do not believe any religion can bring a human being face to face with his or her essence. It is a difficult and personal journey.

I have nothing but admiration for the thoughts behind your poem.
    Many thanks, il miglior fabbro