Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atonement by Ian MacEwan

Atonement by Ian MacEwan

Anyone read this? I'm just about to start it.

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    I read it this year. Lemme know once you're done- we'll discuss it. I seem to have very different opinions than most of the people I know who've read it.

Enjoy!
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

I didn't like it much. Not impressive, just an easy read with few interesting parts.

I didn't like it very much, too. It was weird... but only for sake of being weird. As Moira said, it was easy read with few interesting parts, but pretending to be very intellectual and sophisticated and difficult... And I don't like pretence.

I find that with alot of Ian Mcewan books.
    I couldn't even get past the first few pages of this one, though i've read most of the others.

i'm actually reading it right now...i'm just finishing up part 1 and, so far, i'm really enjoying it...i can't wait to see the movie!
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow ~ Mark Twain

Imagination is more inportant than knowledge ~ Albert Einstein

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please ~ Mark Twain

A good friend will always be willing to bail you out of jail at 3:30 in the morning, but a best friend will be the one sitting next to you saying, "Damn that was fun. Let's do it again!"

I've started it, though I had to stop a small way in. So far, however, I am very impressed. Once I reached the first chapter about Cecilia (2, I think), I could tell he was (is) a master stylist. The movie probably won't be in theaters here long (from what I understand it wasn't very successful), so hopefully I can finish it soon in time to watch it...

I just purchased this book but its on my waiting list. I'm surprised a couple of people feel that way considering the movie is suppose to be such a great story, being constantly nominated by the G.G.'s. Wonder if they are going to be anything alike. Hm.

A wanderer
    I think it's a wonderful rich book, one of my favourites. It definitely depends how you favour Ian McEwan's way of writing though. Let us know when you've finished it!

Blog Entries
    I read it just before the film was released
    It is one of my favourite books, I would deffinitely recommend it.
    Such a moving and beautiful yet heart-wrenching story.
    When you've finished tell me what you thought of the characters.
    "Then I feel, Harry, that I have given away my whole soul to someone who treats it as if it were a flower to put in his coat, a bit of decoration to charm his vanity, an ornament for a summer's day"
    Oscar Wilde [The Picture of Dorian Gray]

Blog Entries
    ok, my curiousity is peaked. I have the book and I guess I 'll start to read it. My mother saw the movie and said it was pretty good
    What Are You Crazy!!!

I like it.....I like the way it was written and I love the ending....but some times it is annoying with an air of pretence
    Salvation comes, not because the miracle is illuminated by the rays of Hope, but because it is against the darkness of Despair.

I liked the book and fell in love with the film. I think the plot itself is very interesting, and it surrounds a unique perspective on guilt. As for the movie, it was so beautifully adapted I was quite surprised. Even aside from the gorgeous cinematography, I think James McAvoy playing Robbie totally carried the whole thing away.

No longer confused... Lioness_Heart's Avatar
    Haven't seen the film yet but loved the book. there were bits that got a bit tedious at times, but it was mostly really good, and the ending was very clever.

I especially liked the bit with Briony at the beginning with her writing, as anyone who likes writing would be able to identify with it.
    "The magic gave me insight, and you gave me a heart, but for all the heart and insight in the world, I am still a cat."

Blog Entries
    you can leave a review of the book Here and vote in the attached poll.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast