Page 1 of 40 12345611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 586

Thread: And the word is...

  1. #1
    Ruadh gu brath ampoule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    From the mountains to the prairies to the oceans white with foam
    Posts
    2,742
    Blog Entries
    67

    And the word is...

    Perhaps this has already been done, but I was wondering if any of you would like to write a poem about the same word. I don't really consider this a game, but rather, a way for us to 'see' each other.

    So, if it is okay to proceed, I will choose the first word. Lucky me. Tomorrow, being a special holiday for the U.S.A., I have chosen the word Independence, not necessarily for the red white and blue, but for you.

    I am working on mine but PLEASE post yours as soon as you have it!

    SPECIAL NOTE TO LATECOMERS: If you come late to the party and you see a word that we have already done, but you would still like to use that word for your poem, go ahead but let us know which word. Thank you.
    Last edited by ampoule; 07-19-2007 at 07:49 AM. Reason: To add a special note.

  2. #2
    Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mountains, SW VA
    Posts
    21,241
    Blog Entries
    133

    Smile

    Independence

    Threw off those binding chains—
    Got tired of those apron strings—
    Look out, world, I gotta be free.

    Tired of just moving with the flow—
    Others telling me when to stop and when to go—
    There’s more to life out there for me…

    Packed up just the basic things I’d need—
    Set out looking for my destiny—
    Tires screeching as I drove away into the sunset…

    Now I will probably feel the longing and the pain—
    When I go to sleep under a bridge in this pouring rain—
    But just look at it this way I have finally found the nerve to gain
    My independence…

    Pendragon
    © 7/3/07
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

  3. #3
    Live. Be. Sing. symphony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Currently Toronto
    Posts
    2,468
    i feel like posting a poetry (by me of course) that's been already posted earlier in the picture poetry contest. dunno if i should proceed... may be its too far-fetched from the given word-of-inspiration...may be there's no room for repeatation.
    well...?
    .
    ...the smell of flowers through metal labyrinths.

  4. #4
    :) Stephweet :) stephofthenight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,544
    Blog Entries
    77
    idpendencne

    who am i to you?
    and what do i mean.
    obviously im not important
    because you stole my heart and soul
    i never needed you to stand on my own to feet
    but you knocked me over just so you could help me up
    i guess that kiss was just a trick
    to capture the free spirit inside of me
    and lock me in a cage
    you took away my freedom
    and tried to controll my life
    you took away my hope and dreams
    and you almost suceseded in keeping me down
    you took away my controll
    and you almost got controll of me
    but even after you
    and that pain staked journey
    i still remain true to myself
    and i still am a free spirit to yourney
    alone and without hesitation.
    ~sickly in love with sucide~

    "Be careful of quotes you find on the internet, they may not always be true" -Abraham Lincon-

  5. #5
    :) Stephweet :) stephofthenight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,544
    Blog Entries
    77
    i hope its ok that it doesnt rhyme...and i hope this is kinda what you where looking for.

    "Be careful of quotes you find on the internet, they may not always be true" -Abraham Lincon-

  6. #6
    Ruadh gu brath ampoule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    From the mountains to the prairies to the oceans white with foam
    Posts
    2,742
    Blog Entries
    67
    symphony and steph, the only 'rule' here is that you post a poem about Independence...whatever that word might mean to you personally...no rules about rhyme or meter or any of that.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    201
    Independence...not a problem for me!
    The problem's with those who would rather see...
    Me happily married...or at least receiving alimony!
    Though that would put their minds to rest...
    Such conventions I do protest!
    Besides... I haven't been so blessed.
    But Freedom always has it's price...
    I traded it all...and never thought twice...
    Independence sure feels nice!
    Last edited by Debrasue; 07-03-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Spelling...

  8. #8
    Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    8,746
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am in-dependence
    on food and shelter
    and on my daily,
    sometimes twice-daily espressos.

    I am in-dependence
    on communication with my
    fellow men and women,
    on breath, on thought.

    But most of all
    I am in-dependence
    on love...
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world." Gandhi

  9. #9
    Sweet farewell, Good Nite
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,336
    Independence:
    The right to smile
    whenever the
    hell i want.
    "He was nauseous with regret when he saw her face again, and when, as of yore, he pleaded and begged at her knees for the joy of her being. She understood Neal; she stroked his hair; she knew he was mad."
    ---Jack Kerouac, On The Road: The Original Scroll

  10. #10
    Ruadh gu brath ampoule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    From the mountains to the prairies to the oceans white with foam
    Posts
    2,742
    Blog Entries
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1jt View Post
    Independence:
    The right to smile
    whenever the
    hell i want.
    You get an Amen! and a Hallelujah! from the choir on that one!

    These are all wonderful.
    I love the twisty turn with 'in-dependence'.
    So far, we have the feelings of breaking the chains that bind us or no matter how down and out we are, we can still remain true to ourselves, and how others may be envious of our independence or how a simple gesture is all the freedom in the world.

    Wow. "More please?"

  11. #11
    feathers firefangled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Florida near Tampa Bay
    Posts
    3,015

    Independence Day — Bixby Bridge

    -for Carol


    What fear hides in our skin has no faith in steel or design.

    Through years it moves like water colors in rain,
    mingles itself in moonlight, and gravity has its way,
    pulling us into the dream where we have no wings.

    And then there is the retrofit crew, the rusted plates
    that bark like some ancient dog as the car passes over them,
    a blessing in a way, drowning the Pacific waves
    that sound so much like rushing air or the last whispers
    of the day as we fall into sleep, hiding in the ear
    like the ocean in a shell, the dark closet of falling.

    Below the magnificence of the coast is a postcard,
    but strength does not come from the book of splendor,
    it is the breath of independence that takes in the world
    and floats the blue palette of the sea in your open eyes.

  12. #12
    Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    8,746
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by firefangled View Post
    -for Carol


    What fear hides in our skin has no faith in steel or design.

    Through years it moves like water colors in rain,
    mingles itself in moonlight, and gravity has its way,
    pulling us into the dream where we have no wings.

    And then there is the retrofit crew, the rusted plates
    that bark like some ancient dog as the car passes over them,
    a blessing in a way, drowning the Pacific waves
    that sound so much like rushing air or the last whispers
    of the day as we fall into sleep, hiding in the ear
    like the ocean in a shell, the dark closet of falling.

    Below the magnificence of the coast is a postcard,
    but strength does not come from the book of splendor,
    it is the breath of independence that takes in the world
    and floats the blue palette of the sea in your open eyes.
    I wonder if you'd be capable of composing an ordinary post-card from, say, Cape Cod or some more mundane place without expressing yourself in such magnificent poetry?

    But I note that you have opted not to receive private messages which saddens me because I would have loved to communicate with and get to know you - with NO ulterior motives!
    Last edited by PrinceMyshkin; 07-04-2007 at 09:54 AM.
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world." Gandhi

  13. #13
    Ruadh gu brath ampoule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    From the mountains to the prairies to the oceans white with foam
    Posts
    2,742
    Blog Entries
    67

    Independence

    Independence by Ampoule, July 4, 2007

    Look out!
    There's another one!
    They went flying to the giant rhododendron
    and hid there glowing in the night.
    The bombs were bursting,
    The lights were flashing,
    But she, Coleoptera, was too bright
    And he, Lampridae, saw it coming,
    But it was too late.
    Whoosh! Clink!
    She was gone.
    He followed her captors in the dark of night,
    listening to their cruel laughter,
    And all that running here and there
    Was exhausting, but he waited.
    She sat there, dazed, and looked around her prison.
    There were others like her,
    But they just sat there still and quiet and resting.
    Did you not try to escape?
    They only looked at her.
    She felt a draft from above and reached up
    to push against the weight of it.
    Nothing.
    She flitted all around trying to catch a glimpse
    of her lover but saw only the cruel hand
    of her captor and fire sparkling in the distance.
    She was frantic, closed in, the air so stale.
    And then a stillness in the night and she heard a voice.
    Her fellow prisoners began to stir.
    What's this, she thought.
    Julian! Marguerite! It is late. You must come in now.
    But mother! Look what we've got?
    She looked down at their little glass jars,
    You must let them go for tonight.
    Protesting all the way,
    They went in for their nightly baths.
    The prisoners flew out, one by one,
    Smiling at her as they found the sky.
    She rested at the top and blinked, I'm free!
    But he was already there, beside her,
    And together they flew off,
    Into the night.

    May all your jars be opened. Happy independence day, no matter where you are.

  14. #14
    Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    8,746
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ampoule View Post
    Independence by Ampoule, July 4, 2007

    Look out!
    There's another one!
    They went flying to the giant rhododendron
    and hid there glowing in the night.
    The bombs were bursting,
    The lights were flashing,
    But she, Coleoptera, was too bright
    And he, Lampridae, saw it coming,
    But it was too late.
    Whoosh! Clink!
    She was gone.
    He followed her captors in the dark of night,
    listening to their cruel laughter,
    And all that running here and there
    Was exhausting, but he waited.
    She sat there, dazed, and looked around her prison.
    There were others like her,
    But they just sat there still and quiet and resting.
    Did you not try to escape?
    They only looked at her.
    She felt a draft from above and reached up
    to push against the weight of it.
    Nothing.
    She flitted all around trying to catch a glimpse
    of her lover but saw only the cruel hand
    of her captor and fire sparkling in the distance.
    She was frantic, closed in, the air so stale.
    And then a stillness in the night and she heard a voice.
    Her fellow prisoners began to stir.
    What's this, she thought.
    Julian! Marguerite! It is late. You must come in now.
    But mother! Look what we've got?
    She looked down at their little glass jars,
    You must let them go for tonight.
    Protesting all the way,
    They went in for their nightly baths.
    The prisoners flew out, one by one,
    Smiling at her as they found the sky.
    She rested at the top and blinked, I'm free!
    But he was already there, beside her,
    And together they flew off,
    Into the night.

    May all your jars be opened. Happy independence day, no matter where you are.
    How fine! How fine and FREE! Truly worthy in its freedom and soaring elegance of the theme you set for us! What a 1 - 2, #11 above and now this!
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world." Gandhi

  15. #15
    Ruadh gu brath ampoule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    From the mountains to the prairies to the oceans white with foam
    Posts
    2,742
    Blog Entries
    67
    Thank you, thank you prince. That was exactly the feeling I was going for. Tell me though, did you know right from the start that I was talking about lightning bugs? I just HAD to use names for them when I saw how close Coleoptera was to Cleopatra. What that has to do with anything I have no idea.

    Would you like to choose the next word?

Page 1 of 40 12345611 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •