Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Establishing a library -- easy or hard? What about copyrights?

Establishing a library -- easy or hard? What about copyrights?

I have a dream in the horizon to establish the first English-only library in Israel. I'm curious how difficult it would be to get copyright permissions and overall establish a library. I probably don't know what I'm getting myself into, so if you people got some informative ideas (without biased or discouragement) or some experience, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Thanks a lot,

Fango

A library simply needs books. You don't need copyright to have a library. What is your concern with copyright? Libraries are great- good luck with your endeavor.
    "I have so often dreamed of you that you become unreal." ~ Robert Desnos

I support this great idea, and so is my mom who has to buy all of my English books.

Thank you JuLe!

genoveva, here is my concern, which I'm assume you're not aware of:

90% of books have the following copyright message:

"All rights reserved. This publication may not be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of the publishers"

See that "stored in a retrieval system" part? That's what I'm talking about, so I wonder if it's hard to acquire permissions. Though I dearly hope or hoped that you wouldn't need any permission for a library, it seems like you do, right? Unless you have some ideas for me, I believe that to establish a library one needs permission from all publications he/she possesses. Am I correct?

Don't worry my Jewish friend. Just establish your library nothing would happen trust me. That retrieval part must be about for people who's gonna make busines of this; like renting books. Also even that stupid, who can find you in İsrael? Think about it, English printing houses are in England or USA could they find you in Israel? I don't think so.

Plus even if you have troubles you can simply say "you destroyed 6 million Jews in WW2 and now you are trying to block education of poor Jewish children", and kabaam they will suddenly feel guilty and leave you free.

Mmmm.. yeah that's the way these things work. sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JuLe View Post
    Mmmm.. yeah that's the way these things work. sure.
    You clearly underestimate the power political correctness holds over various companies.
    Last edited by Dark Star; 07-03-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Heh, well just for the records, while I am Jewish it's by roots, I don't practice any religion. Back to the issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Don't worry my Jewish friend. Just establish your library nothing would happen trust me. That retrieval part must be about for people who's gonna make busines of this; like renting books. Also even that stupid, who can find you in İsrael? Think about it, English printing houses are in England or USA could they find you in Israel? I don't think so.

Plus even if you have troubles you can simply say "you destroyed 6 million Jews in WW2 and now you are trying to block education of poor Jewish children", and kabaam they will suddenly feel guilty and leave you free.

Now, technically a library IS a business, right? People DO rent books. Remember, I want to start a library not a thrift-shop.

Now, these are interesting arguments with you present, but I'm not looking for political correctness or subjectivity, I'm really looking for facts if anyone can provide them. I mean, I really want to believe you, believe you me but I just don't wanna get a lawsuit because I didn't do my research properly...

I believe what he meant by 'renting books' is that libraries don't tend to charge for them. A 'rental book' place would charge a fee per book rented.

Then maybe you should ask to a lawyer in Israel. Because unless it's not a crime in Israel an American printing press can't do anything In Turkiye it's not a crime, there's this old guy who have around few thousands books here and children are borrowing books from him, like a village library. I don't think it could be crime in anywhere, simply these books belong to you, if you want to lend them nobody can say something to you. I don't think you would get a lawsuit but anyway ask a friend lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star View Post
    I believe what he meant by 'renting books' is that libraries don't tend to charge for them. A 'rental book' place would charge a fee per book rented.
    Yeah. I meant that. If you just serve people with your books without charging them, i don't think that could be crime in anywhere, if it would happen then we wouldn't be allowed even giving our books to our friends.

Yes, but they do pay for membership so it's the same concept. The difference is that they're charged by time and not by quantity. I will go ahead and ask a lawyer, and see how that turns out. Better yet, I can go to a local library here and ask librarians...unless someone has professional input, but I think I'm gonna do it anyway for my own peace of mind

The library doesn't charge a membership fee. The only fee a library charges is late fees. Oh and sometimes for the new books they'll charge a daily rate, like a nickel or something.

Where's Night when you need her??? She'll have the low down on libraries.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    What kind of library charges for membership? I have never had to pay a membership fee to join a library (with the exception of the included charge within tuition fees at college) If you are going to be charging a membership fee, you will have a lot more problems with copyright as you will be making money off of the intellectual property of others.
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

What? I'm very VERY confused here. Are you telling me that all libraries around the world are basically free for everyone, and that you just have to return the book on time?

How do they get their money back then? How do they pay librarians? Unless all libraries run by the government bodies?

you will have a lot more problems with copyright as you will be making money off of the intellectual property of others.
    Hence the thread! I'm not naive to the fact I'm gonna need permissions-- I thought that's how libraries work, and so I pondered here the difficulties of acquire those permissions. However, if you're telling me libraries don't work that way, that's okay. Just a HUGE wake-up call for me indeed. Though just so you won't think less of me, it's really more about the spread-of-knowledge than me making money (I'm not a businessman), I just want to have enough money to keep it running but I certainly don't have enough money nor will ever probably to keep a library going for free. I'm all in for philanthropy, particularly when it concerns English literature, but that is way beyond me.
    Last edited by Fango; 07-03-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Most libraries (excluding university libraries) work off of government grants and use those to pay librarians, grab new books, and stuff like that. They also get by on donations of books and other items from others and volunteer work. There are some that charge membership, however. I've heard of a few in New York doing that but none around here do (the one in my home town charged $3 per library card, $5 if you lost one, however).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast