Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Quixote Reading Group

Blog Entries

Don Quixote Reading Group

I've started this thread because a few people, including myself, are reading it for the summer. I must say it reads very fast. I've read the first six chapters in no time, and I'm a fairly slow reader. I'm using the Edith Grossman translation which came out in 2003 to good reviews.

The famous literary critic Harold Bloom in the introdction says of this translation:
    "Though there have been many valubale English translations of Don Quixote, I would commend Edith Grossman's version for the extraordinary high quality of her prose. The Knight and Sancho are so elequantly rendered by Grossman that the vitality of their characterization is more clearly conveyed than ever before."

Of course I will not be able to copy and past from the Grossman translation, since it is not on electronic format. So extended quotes I will have to copy off the Lit Net electronic book here: http://www.online-literature.com/cervantes/don_quixote/. If you don't mind reading off a computer, you can join us in reading it off of this site as well.

I hope people will join us. This will not be a rushed read and should last at least the summer, if not longer.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yay Virgil you did it! You've started the thread!

I brought Don Quixote with me to work today. I am almost finished with the first part of the book. So I am quite a bit ahead but I am sure you will find it a pretty fast read mostly because it is so fantastic and funny.

There are some slower parts, and as some have mentioned, every once in a while you feel as if you've read an event before. But after reading Lawrence's writing style, I am sure you can get easily past it as I have.

I almost bought Grossman's translation when I needed to replace my copy. Instead I bought John Rutherford's, by Penguin, which I mentioned somewhere else on LitNet.

When I was looking at her translation on Amazon, some customer review put side by side her translation along with someone else's. Most people say good things about it, but that reviewer seemed to prefer other translations.

Personally, I didn't run into a translation I didn't like. It ended up I bought the one I did so I could buy Women in Love at the same time!

Virgil what did you think of Cervantes' prologue? I love how he refers to it as the child of his brain and how he describes that of course a parent loves a son no matter what he looks like. I've never heard an introduction like that before.

Oh I am also glad you are not rushing this read. Take time to enjoy it!

Come...come...come to the thread!!!
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grace86 View Post
    Virgil what did you think of Cervantes' prologue? I love how he refers to it as the child of his brain and how he describes that of course a parent loves a son no matter what he looks like. I've never heard an introduction like that before.
    Yes, that was neat.

Here's an interesting part from chapter four, right after he has been knighted.

He now came to a road branching in four directions, and
    immediately he was reminded of those cross-roads where
    knights-errant used to stop to consider which road they should take.
    In imitation of them he halted for a while, and after having deeply
    considered it, he gave Rocinante his head, submitting his own will
    to that of his hack, who followed out his first intention, which was
    to make straight for his own stable. After he had gone about two miles
    Don Quixote perceived a large party of people, who, as afterwards
    appeared, were some Toledo traders, on their way to buy silk at
    Murcia. There were six of them coming along under their sunshades,
    with four servants mounted, and three muleteers on foot. Scarcely
    had Don Quixote descried them when the fancy possessed him that this
    must be some new adventure; and to help him to imitate as far as he
    could those passages he had read of in his books, here seemed to
    come one made on purpose, which he resolved to attempt. So with a
    lofty bearing and determination he fixed himself firmly in his
    stirrups, got his lance ready, brought his buckler before his
    breast, and planting himself in the middle of the road, stood
    waiting the approach of these knights-errant, for such he now
    considered and held them to be; and when they had come near enough
    to see and hear, he exclaimed with a haughty gesture, "All the world
    stand, unless all the world confess that in all the world there is
    no maiden fairer than the Empress of La Mancha, the peerless
    Dulcinea del Toboso."

The traders halted at the sound of this language and the sight of
    the strange figure that uttered it, and from both figure and
    language at once guessed the craze of their owner; they wished,
    however, to learn quietly what was the object of this confession
    that was demanded of them, and one of them, who was rather fond of a
    joke and was very sharp-witted, said to him, "Sir Knight, we do not
    know who this good lady is that you speak of; show her to us, for,
    if she be of such beauty as you suggest, with all our hearts and
    without any pressure we will confess the truth that is on your part
    required of us."

"If I were to show her to you," replied Don Quixote, "what merit
    would you have in confessing a truth so manifest? The essential
    point is that without seeing her you must believe, confess, affirm,
    swear, and defend it; else ye have to do with me in battle,
    ill-conditioned, arrogant rabble that ye are; and come ye on, one by
    one as the order of knighthood requires, or all together as is the
    custom and vile usage of your breed, here do I bide and await you
    relying on the justice of the cause I maintain."
    "The essential point is that without seeing her you must believe, confess, affirm, swear, and defend it" - In many ways it seems that that is what Don Quixote is doing on all his adventures. Without seeing, just believing, he goes forth and encounters his illusions or beliefs.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    "The essential point is that without seeing her you must believe, confess, affirm, swear, and defend it" - In many ways it seems that that is what Don Quixote is doing on all his adventures. Without seeing, just believing, he goes forth and encounters his illusions or beliefs.
    Yes, pretty much all his adventures are based on that...based on his imagination and faith that they are real.

Has he made you laugh out loud yet? The bit with the inn and the two prostitutes is where I started laughing. Just picture him in his get up: several different pieces of family heirloom armour, and the face protection on his helmet made of something like cardboard and sheet metal!

Sometimes he will remind you of a little kid, and at other times you wonder that he is so brave that he must be crazy.

He brings up the same question that Hamlet does: Was Don Quixote really crazy? There is somewhere, I will look up the quote, where he pretty much tells everyone that he is in full posession of his faculties...but then that is at the beginning of the novel.

That is what happens when you read too much!

I would explain how he goes about his adventures and conversations on Lady Dulcinea, but I don't know if you'd want me to for fear of spoiling the stories. Let me know...because some of my thoughts expound from his conversations later with Sancho.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

Impeccable timing. I just started reading this today, and the story is really growing on me. I have the Penguin Classics Cohen translation that I picked up at a used bookstore about a week ago. I'm in the middle of chapter 2 when he gets to the inn.

Blog Entries
    Has he made you laugh out loud yet? The bit with the inn and the two prostitutes is where I started laughing. Just picture him in his get up: several different pieces of family heirloom armour, and the face protection on his helmet made of something like cardboard and sheet metal!
    Oh absolutely, perhaps in every chapter I at least have a giggle. It was funny how he was beat up by the crowd and then had to get carried back to his home on that guy's donkey. And wasn't he unable to take his helmet off at one point and had to sleep with it on.

Sometimes he will remind you of a little kid, and at other times you wonder that he is so brave that he must be crazy.

He brings up the same question that Hamlet does: Was Don Quixote really crazy? There is somewhere, I will look up the quote, where he pretty much tells everyone that he is in full posession of his faculties...but then that is at the beginning of the novel.
    I think it is clear he has lost touch with reality. Just look at the great quote I highlight below.

Quote Originally Posted by mheartin View Post
    Impeccable timing. I just started reading this today, and the story is really growing on me. I have the Penguin Classics Cohen translation that I picked up at a used bookstore about a week ago. I'm in the middle of chapter 2 when he gets to the inn.
    Oh good Heart. It would be nice to have you in on our discussion.

I must highlight this particular quote. I think at one time Riesa (here on lit net) had it as a signature. I adore this quote and perhaps I will use it as a signature for a time as well. It is from chapter VIII when He and Sancho first come to the windmills.

"It is clear to me," replied Don Quixote, "that thou are not well-versed in the matter of adventures: these are giants; and if thou art afraid, move aside and start to pray whilst I enter with them in fierce and unequal combat."
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    I'm in. I commited myself to a lot of the Litnet readings, but I'll squeeze it in- my own windmill.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mheartin View Post
    I am so glad you are reading it! Please feel free to comment and join us. I too had the Penguin Cohen translation. I bought it as well at a used bookstore. But the glue binding was hard and it had a weak spot, and I accidentally cracked it So I put that translation away in favor of buying a new one.

Originally posted by Virgil
    And wasn't he unable to take his helmet off at one point and had to sleep with it on.
    He also had to have help drinking through a straw I think

Originally posted by Virgil
    I think it is clear he has lost touch with reality. Just look at the great quote I highlight below.
    I forgot to look up that quote I was mentioning earlier. It seems though, at some points throughout the novel that Quixote is in full possession of his faculties. He is commented about later, as being exceptionally smart, save for when he is trying to go through his adventures.

Sometimes I think though, that there are too many people who aid in helping him pull off his adventures by playing along.

I like that quote, Virgil, it is very good and significant of Quixote's character and the novel.

There is a broadway musical called Man of La Mancha that I just bought on Amazon, and there is one song titled "Man of La Mancha (I, Don Quixote)." The song relates to the quote I am thinking about. I will have to find the darn quote today and post it.

Richard Kiley played the voice of Don Quixote.

Going to get to my reading at lunch today. Hopefully I can finish sometime this month...but if I don't, oh well, I am not really hoping to rush...I think I'd miss out on a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAdams View Post
    I'm in. I commited myself to a lot of the Litnet readings, but I'll squeeze it in- my own windmill.
    Oh yay!!! How exciting I am glad you're in!

Virgil who else was joining us from the WIL thread? I cannot remember just now.

Blog Entries
    Found the quote I wanted to share Virgil. You already read it, it was early on.

Part One Chapter V

"I know who I am," retorted Don Quixote, "and I know that I can be not only all those whom I have mentioned, but every one of the Twelve Peers of France, and every one of the Nine Worthies as well, because all the deeds performed by them both singly and together will be exceeded by mine."
    That first part really sticks to me. It is a wonderful quotation and I think it expresses the efforts of Cervantes and of Don Quixote. Throughout the book, he is who he wants to be, while he claims he knows who he is.

Just thought I'd share.

Blog Entries
    There is a broadway musical called Man of La Mancha that I just bought on Amazon, and there is one song titled "Man of La Mancha (I, Don Quixote)." The song relates to the quote I am thinking about. I will have to find the darn quote today and post it.

Richard Kiley played the voice of Don Quixote.
    I don't know if it is still on Broadway, but my wife and I saw the show a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I don't recall the actors. I always save the playbills from shows, and if I find that one I'll look up who was singing. It was a wonderful show. Of course they had to cut out a lot, but it did capture the essence of the book. The song "Impoosible Dream" is the big number that everyone waits for. Here are the lyrics:

"The Impossible Dream"
    from MAN OF LA MANCHA (1972)
    music by Mitch Leigh and lyrics by Joe Darion

To dream the impossible dream
    To fight the unbeatable foe
    To bear with unbearable sorrow
    To run where the brave dare not go
    To right the unrightable wrong
    To love pure and chaste from afar
    To try when your arms are too weary
    To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest
    To follow that star
    No matter how hopeless
    No matter how far

To fight for the right
    Without question or pause
    To be willing to march into Hell
    For a heavenly cause

And I know if I'll only be true
    To this glorious quest
    That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
    When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
    That one man, scorned and covered with scars
    Still strove with his last ounce of courage
    To reach the unreachable star
    Virgil who else was joining us from the WIL thread? I cannot remember just now.
    Manolia said she had read the book and Janine had expressed interest but I don't think she will. I don't recall anyone else.

Found the quote I wanted to share Virgil. You already read it, it was early on.

Part One Chapter V

"I know who I am," retorted Don Quixote, "and I know that I can be not only all those whom I have mentioned, but every one of the Twelve Peers of France, and every one of the Nine Worthies as well, because all the deeds performed by them both singly and together will be exceeded by mine."
    That first part really sticks to me. It is a wonderful quotation and I think it expresses the efforts of Cervantes and of Don Quixote. Throughout the book, he is who he wants to be, while he claims he knows who he is.

Just thought I'd share.
    Thanks. That is a great quote.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Virgil "The Impossible Dream" is one of the reasons I bought the album Man of La Mancha. My father loves that song and also "Dulcinea."

Haven't gotten much reading done lately, real life keeps me busy. How far along are you Virgil, Nick,, and mheartin?

Blog Entries
    I haven't either Grace. Chapter 12 or so. I should pick up this week.

Funny thing happened to me on friday which made me think of Don Quixote. Eeek. I had a little accident at the gym that morning. I was on the treadmill running at a good pace, when my towel that I humg over the banister fell and i thought I could pick it up while running. It was mostly on the floor but spread a little over the track. But it wasn't caught in the track, just lying there. I bent to pick it up and I did, but I stumbled raising myself up and I fell and the track rolled me back off. If that wasn't stupid enough, when I bounced back up I decided I could jump back on the track while it was running. Well, it just flung me right off and I went flying even harder than the first time. I smacked pretty hard across the floor. Of course then everyone started coming over to help me. I felt fine. Lucky my head never hit anything. I landed on my back and I think my right elbow. I felt perfect when I got up, and even got back on the treadmill and finished my run. After though my elbow hurt. It's not broken but I can't lift anything with it. Oh stupid me. My wife had a good laugh when I told her the story when I got home. Stupid me. So windmills, treadmills, no difference. Just the impossible dream.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Oh Virgil that is funny! I am sorry your elbow hurts but I am glad you are okay. You went to retrieve the towel for your Lady Del Toboso right?!

Before I read the part where you were already comparing treadmill with windmill, I was already thinking about the similarity! I always wondered what would happen if I got back on a treadmill while it was going!

Blog Entries
    Oh Virgil that is funny! I am sorry your elbow hurts but I am glad you are okay. You went to retrieve the towel for your Lady Del Toboso right?!

Before I read the part where you were already comparing treadmill with windmill, I was already thinking about the similarity! I always wondered what would happen if I got back on a treadmill while it was going!
    Just be careful. Treadmills are dangerous.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Hello everyone! Just found my name in here - in Virgil's post.

No, Janine cannot read the book now. She is too, too busy with countless other readings/postings. Sad I know, I would love to participate, but as
    Virgil says:

"I only have one brain and two hands!"

Just be careful. Treadmills are dangerous.
    Really....? V and you were worried about me riding an old lady style bike!

I say treadmills can be lethal Next time, Virg, turn off the blasted machine before resuming....
    Last edited by Janine; 07-09-2007 at 04:33 PM.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast